3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How to instal Full Cold Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 11:27 AM

How to instal Full Cold Air Intake System

I have a 93 Maxima and I got this full cold air intake system. i need some directions cus it did not come with it. Its a place racing one
Old 12-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

well if its a genuine PR I cant help you but if it is one of the aluminum ones off of ebay I have a template a friend of mine made for it.

all you do is:

1. take off all of your old intake.

2. remove battery, battery tray and the small fuse box in the inner fender.

3. put template in place and drill hole

4. paint where you just drilled and scuff up any rust in that area and paint it while you are at it.

5. Install the intake and put everyting back.

Now I will not guarantee it but the PR intake does look alot like the aluminum intake so if you want to use our template you are more than welcome.

here is the link
Old 12-14-2004, 07:11 PM

does neone else hav a model and also how did u get the long pipe to go in good bc It is hard to get into the hole. I dont know wat to do and also to bend.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by 1swtMaxima
does neone else hav a model and also how did u get the long pipe to go in good bc It is hard to get into the hole. I dont know wat to do and also to bend.

man just work it in there...it will go. You may have to come from the bottom up but it will go. I really dont recall having much trouble but I did have to twist it one way and move the MAF adapter a little to meet it...it wasnt too hard though.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:42 AM

Whats the point. All air sucked into driving MAXimas anywhere is COLD...
Old 12-15-2004, 06:57 AM
RWD bolt-on conversion?

sound

im thinking they just want the sound that a CAI gives you. or any aftermarket intake does.
its really noticable and its a cool "wooosh" sound
Old 12-15-2004, 07:13 AM

Btw. Its not just sound, but also releases horses from u stable. The stock intake chokes [intentionally?] all the way, worst part is before filter. However, CAI has 'nothing to do' with better filter, power[driving] or sound, although maybe sold as a packet. Just change filter assy, ...or drill holes to the stock box before filter to open air flow [almost equal poor mans choice]. Then go figure what are the other choking points...

For real power [and intermittent walking /towing off the highway] u need turbo. Then u need another car for business...
Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Whats the point. All air sucked into driving MAXimas anywhere is COLD...
Guess you haven't driven down south during the summer eh?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 AM

I have installed the PLace racing intake (same as Cattman intake) and it's not too bad. As awsm66 said, just adjust and readjust the MAF and the rubber connectors to get it to sit in there right. I had to bring my pipe up through the bottom w/ the filter on because it's pretty tight quarters in there and tough to stick the filter on once the pipe is in place. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
Guess you haven't driven down south during the summer eh?
There's No difference.
Temp under the hood [READ: while driving] is the SAME as ambient temp. Siberia or south, no difference. Things change when u stop, somebody tell me why...

Empirical test:
Buy 10€ digital temp gauge, With a long sensor wire, 2m or more. Put one sensor hanging under the hood, in the CAI, up in the antenna, see and test u self.

"down south"
- Been there, seen that. Must say toohot forme, I like the CAI more...
Old 12-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Im izz sexay

There's No difference.
Temp under the hood [READ: while driving] is the SAME as ambient temp. Siberia or south, no difference. Things change when u stop, somebody tell me why...

Empirical test:
Buy 10€ digital temp gauge, With a long sensor wire, 2m or more. Put one sensor hanging under the hood, in the CAI, up in the antenna, see and test u self.

"down south"
Not to ruin your parade but the CAI that most of these guys are talking about brings the filter outside of the engine bay. Thus bringing in cooler air. The temp under the hood will be warmer than that of the antenna and of that between the wheel wells (where the CAI filter is placed). I'm not to sure if this is correct but I'm making an educated guess that the engine temp will be somewhere between 140-180 degrees. I have yet to see that temp outside.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah
Not to ruin your parade but the CAI that most of these guys are talking about brings the filter outside of the engine bay. Thus bringing in cooler air. The temp under the hood will be warmer than that of the antenna and of that between the wheel wells (where the CAI filter is placed). I'm not to sure if this is correct but I'm making an educated guess that the engine temp will be somewhere between 140-180 degrees. I have yet to see that temp outside.

No parades around ruins. Do not do wrong guessing, but present your table of your own measurements with multiple sensors under different circumstances. With 8 sensors; Interesting, huh.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:35 AM

There's No difference.

Empirical test:

"down south"
I guess it also depends on how fast you're driving. City driving is very sluggish for me
Old 12-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There's No difference.

Empirical test:

"down south"
there is a difference. the air inside the engine bay gets heated by the heat coming off the engine block and exhaust. the air in the fender where the filter for the CAI is placed isnt heated by the engine/exhaust. the air that passes throught the radiator also gets heated.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

this thread is going to get ugly....
Old 12-15-2004, 11:50 AM
LvR

Originally Posted by DanNY
this thread is going to get ugly....
Indeed -..................
My 2c worth - the cold air entering from in front of the radiator extracts heat from the radiator by design - the hot air can go nowhere other than under the hood given the number of between bonnet and radiator/bonnet and light assembly seals present on the Maxima in my possession - because of that, under hood air temp cannot be nearly as close to ambient as a CAI can pick up................
Old 12-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

well here is my .02 on the subject. I think it helped my car some. Not a huge amount mind you but it did feel somewhat peppier. The only problem is I fixed a small intake leak and put uncracked coils on at the same time so I am thinking those did a lot more for the feel of more power than the CAI did itself. I still like it though and would recommend it to anyone.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

does the ve have a boost box stock?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Im izz sexay

No parades around ruins. Do not do wrong guessing, but present your table of your own measurements with multiple sensors under different circumstances. With 8 sensors; Interesting, huh.
If you haven't noticed I was showing a sense of sarcasm about the guessing part. I believe normal operating temp is around 160 degrees. I gave a range due to the air comming in through the grill /radiator. THe engine bay will be cooled slightely (a few degrees) but I doubt it'll get as cold as you are thinking. Can you show proof supporting your arguement. I prefer to save my money for more costly mods then to waste it to be wrong.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:15 AM

No need to prove summer is coming ...thin king does not affect it. Its coming.

Anybody can easily do this temp measuremet tst. Its even fun!
But no - just
do not do it.
The whole point in life is to seek out [uself] for the Truth, easier way is to slip &claim anything to circumvent individual responsibility.

--->1. No te-sting, 2. no poof, 3. buy CAI... catch all the dynohorses.

...my taillights...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI

Car speed & ambient temp define the temp under the hood [plus engine wasted heat energy]. The engine bay is basically one huge down open air press scoop [stock vehicle]. Measured readings depend on your sensor locations. Over city speeds, the differences to ambient temp, is average 1C.

The air oxygen energy content is a temp dependent variable that can easily be calculated. In car engine applications, few degrees plus/minus do not make significant difference which is the case under/around a moving vehicle.
Air Intake location does surely make a difference.

If one wants to ensure the best intake location in one vehicle, measuring the temps, (turbulences & pressures) around the true environment (=moving) is the only way to go. The whole vehicle creates a varying turbulent environment around the car AND under the hood (also air pressure is lidl above ambient). Badly selected input location always feeds the engine the undesirable [warm] air. Under standing vehicle's hood the input location is most significant.

Nowadays all cars have scoops on the front -dunno whyis this- cause the scooped air velocity never reaches even 10% of the max air velocity in the intake. Of course all help helps, but the only real thing -to break the tranny- is just plain turbo.