3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Quick/Cheap Fix for VTC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 02:06 PM

Let me go ahead and say that I am in no way a mechanic and just had a brainstorm that I would like some feedback on. As far as I understand it, the VTC ticking noise is caused by a lack of oil or lubrication to the cams (or a part of them). I was wondering if some of those "super-lubes" would help since they claim to thoroughly lubricate every part of your engine. I know that Z-Max is a fraud since I tried it in my previous car two times (89 Accord) and it made no appreciable difference other than the $40.00 per usage drain on my wallet. But what about "Motor-Up" or "Dura-Lube"? My VTC tick isn't horrible now, but it is random and embarassing, so I would like to know what I could about it other than spend over $1000.00 for new cams.
Old 04-22-2001, 04:36 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hmm, i don't know about all that....

Originally posted by Maximus1000
Let me go ahead and say that I am in no way a mechanic and just had a brainstorm that I would like some feedback on. As far as I understand it, the VTC ticking noise is caused by a lack of oil or lubrication to the cams (or a part of them). I was wondering if some of those "super-lubes" would help since they claim to thoroughly lubricate every part of your engine. I know that Z-Max is a fraud since I tried it in my previous car two times (89 Accord) and it made no appreciable difference other than the $40.00 per usage drain on my wallet. But what about "Motor-Up" or "Dura-Lube"? My VTC tick isn't horrible now, but it is random and embarassing, so I would like to know what I could about it other than spend over $1000.00 for new cams.

I haven't gotten the TICK yet on my 93 SE, and I have 102k on it.. but, some members with VE Maxima's on the org have Grounded their VTCs to get rid of the ticking noise.. It's a cheap fix and doesn't cost you anything, however it will not fix them though, just shut them up.... Search for "Grounding VTCs" or something of that sort, you'll probably find soemthing useful.
Old 04-22-2001, 05:29 PM

I read through some of the posts on grounding the VTC and in the long run it may do more harm than good. I already feel that my car lacks adequate low-end torque (having that checked tomorrow) so I certainly don't want to do anything that would underpower it more. I may just have to cash out some bonds next month and have the darn VTCs replaced. Any idea how much? Also, I heard rumors that there was a recall/bulletin about this. While I know that it is highly unlikely that Nissan will do it for free on a nine year old car, but it would be nice to have a bargaining chip.
Old 04-22-2001, 08:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have heard that VTCs run around $2k. Search for posts on this subject. I believe jeff92se or brubenstein posted a long and informative thread/link on this subject...
Old 04-22-2001, 09:25 PM

I have a 93se auto, when I first got my car she ticked when cold (during winter) but now that Ive been changing the oil/filter regularly its almost totally gone.
But I did get the technical service bullitens from alldatadiy.com and they say that they dont have to be fixed and it wont cause any damage. They show that its a spring thats faulty in the timming sprokets, but that the whole assembleys can also be replaced. So the parts for the rebulit arent expensive its the labor that gets ya.

I think grounding the VTC's is ****ing crazy, I wouldnt want to loose my second torque peak, aaaaahhhhhhhhhh

If anyone with the vtc problem that would be interested in checking out the bulliten I could probaly fax it.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:39 PM

I would deffinitely be interested in taking a look at that bulletin. I'll check and see if I can get access to a fax machine tomorrow. Is it possible to just replace the sprockets and not pop for two new cams?
Old 04-22-2001, 09:40 PM

I have a 93se auto, when I first got my car she ticked when cold (during winter) but now that Ive been changing the oil/filter regularly its almost totally gone.
But I did get the technical service bullitens from alldatadiy.com and they say that they dont have to be fixed and it wont cause any damage. They show that its a spring thats faulty in the timming sprokets, but that the whole assembleys can also be replaced. So the parts for the rebulit arent expensive its the labor that gets ya.

I think grounding the VTC's is ****ing crazy, I wouldnt want to loose my second torque peak, aaaaahhhhhhhhhh

If anyone with the vtc problem that would be interested in checking out the bulliten I could probaly fax it.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:51 PM
Spaz

Some info

Your VTCs have no influence whatsoever on lowend. They don't even engage untill over 3200 rpm. That's well after most people shift during normal driving. You won't hurt anything by grounding them either. All that does is keep the cams from rotating a few degrees to allow better high end breating. So you'll lose a little power in the part of the band that you harldy ever use anyway.

Originally posted by Maximus1000
I read through some of the posts on grounding the VTC and in the long run it may do more harm than good. I already feel that my car lacks adequate low-end torque (having that checked tomorrow) so I certainly don't want to do anything that would underpower it more. I may just have to cash out some bonds next month and have the darn VTCs replaced. Any idea how much? Also, I heard rumors that there was a recall/bulletin about this. While I know that it is highly unlikely that Nissan will do it for free on a nine year old car, but it would be nice to have a bargaining chip.

Old 04-22-2001, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by eric93SE

who started the idea that grounding it will lose some torque/HP/whatever ?

I seriously doubt it will do anything like that. I know on my car, it was short on low-end due to the VTC and the rewire did nothing to make it worse, better if anything.

It takes all of 5 minutes and may cost you $5-10 at the very most. If you do notice a loss of power or anything else for that matter, just undo the mod which woulnd't take more than a minute

Just an idea, if you dont want to try it, that's cool too.
Old 04-22-2001, 10:06 PM
Spaz

Craig...

Is there anyway to get those pics working on your site again? I have alot of driving to do this weekend and I was gonna do the rewire. I can prolly do it w/o but my mind would be more atease with the pics Or even if there's a mirror to your site somewhere...

Old 04-23-2001, 06:30 AM

Re: Craig...

Originally posted by Spaz
Is there anyway to get those pics working on your site again? I have alot of driving to do this weekend and I was gonna do the rewire. I can prolly do it w/o but my mind would be more atease with the pics Or even if there's a mirror to your site somewhere...
if will be on another server sometime soon, but until then, you can look in the directory and click on each picture yourself
http://www.geocities.com/bracecraig/maxima/vtc/

you may have to hit refresh a few times to get it to load, but it should work

also, some of the pics are really crappy quality so when I put them on the webpage, they are about 50-75% normal size so you may want to open them in paint or something so you can adjust the zoom and better see the picture