3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

BOSE radio repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004 | 02:43 PM

BOSE radio repair

my fiance's 93 has the bose cd/tape combo, and it's been acting up for a while. it will either only play the radio(no cd or tape) or not work at all, and with the cold (its snowing as i write this) it doesnt want to work(along with the digi climate control, but thats a topic for another thread). i'm assuming its a stupid soldered point that has gone bad, but as opposed to messing with it i may just replace the unit with an aftermarket unit. i read through the bose amp repair sticky and looked through craig's site to see if there may be a fix for it, but to no avail. my point in this being that i remember my friend who owned my max prior to me had bought the car with no radio. he replaced it with an a/m one and it blew the bose amps one by one, he had said that the bose units couldnt handle the higher voltage comming out of the speaker wires. is there any truth to that? should i just buy a new set of speakers too then, or should i try to fix the bose head unit.

any ideas?
thanks in advance, juan
Old 12-26-2004 | 02:52 PM

When I chnaged my HD I threw out my bose amps because I couldn't find a solution to power them. I think their is a regulated amperage that the bose HD sent out to the amps... So you couldn't just run a 12vt to them without some sorta resistance. Craig might now what the amps are.
Old 12-26-2004 | 03:38 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

they make an adapter that goes between the radio and amps. I have one that was in my 93 and if I can find it you are more than welcome to it. If I cant then its like $50 for a new one.

If I cant find this one for you I would just replace the speakers with aftermarket ones instead of investing any more money into the bose system.

I can also take a look at the radio for you. I have fixed a few of the cd/tape combos and there is a web site that has a fix for them. I will try and find that as well.
Old 12-28-2004 | 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
they make an adapter that goes between the radio and amps. I have one that was in my 93 and if I can find it you are more than welcome to it. If I cant then its like $50 for a new one.

If I cant find this one for you I would just replace the speakers with aftermarket ones instead of investing any more money into the bose system.

I can also take a look at the radio for you. I have fixed a few of the cd/tape combos and there is a web site that has a fix for them. I will try and find that as well.
let me know if you do find it, or how much to fix this sucker. not that i care if the bose is there or not, but it did sound kinda nice, so i would have preferred to keep it than spend 2-300 on a new system
Old 12-29-2004 | 04:57 PM

If you decide to go aftermarket, this might be what you're looking for http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Otherwise, Ebay has great deals on 1995-1999 Clarion HU for the Bose audio. You'll just have to purchase a HU wiring harness for that generation Maxima and match them up.
Old 12-29-2004 | 05:23 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

wish this was around when i was having trouble.......
Old 12-29-2004 | 06:45 PM
mod or sell?

that adapter can be gotten cheaper than that
gotta check my cost on it tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2004 | 09:47 PM

5 bucks for my bose head unit plus shipping. it works only thing is the screws that kept it on the mounting bracket need drilled out completely. its only tape. but its your call. also i got the antenna adaptor and wiring adaptor for my car free from crutchfield when i bought my system becuase i bought hu and 4 speakers. just an fyi.
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:54 AM

When I bought my 89 the radio did not work. I purchased a Pioneer CD player and started to hook it up.. Here's what I found: and a TO DO list when dupicating what I did.
Take the two front door panels off.
Take the 4-6 bolts that hold the speaker box off
Remove speaker box unit./unplug
Take all bolt out of box and open it up.
You'll find a circuit board in there. Clip the wires off and remove board.
Run new wires from speaker to stock wires going to box.
Note all wire colors ect for when you hook it up to the head unit.
I did mine one at a time.
Get the wireing schematic.. that'd help if you can read them.
The rear speakers don't need to be removed..
Just look at them from inside the trunk and take the circuit board that's cased in plastic out and re-connect the wires.
Your just taking the indivdual component boards outa there because they fail.
The stock speakers are great! They are not the problem!!!!!!
My system sounds fantastic now..
E-mail me with questions.. I have Schematics if you need them.
Scott~
Each of the speakers have a circuit board inside their case.
Take the two
Old 12-31-2004 | 02:52 AM

www.carstereohelp.com These guys will buy and sell Bose equipment. I have sold non working systems to them. You can also get a new HU for your system. Check it out.
Old 12-31-2004 | 06:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bose Confessions

First off.....http://forums.maxima.org/newreply.php
Best wishes to ya all for the new year

Ah the Bose. the Bose , the Bose
I have jerked around with this problem for longer than I care to admit.http://forums.maxima.org/newreply.ph...e=1&p=3526305#
Inthe final analysis, replace or rip, but save yourself any aggravation
trying to debug or repair it.

Based on my experiences it is easiest to just upgrade
your Bose, cause after u have all the diagrams and color codes, u'll still
might be scratching your head and wondering.

There is only one positive side to this problem....
It is great to have a site like this
to help u make an educated decision!
http://forums.maxima.org/newreply.php#
Cheers!Best wishes to ya' all for the new year
Old 12-31-2004 | 07:58 AM

um all your links are bad links adny, 2 say invalid thread, the other one is just a reply page.
port dave, thanks for the info, they want 225 to fix my radio, and qhuite honestly i can probably get a really nice a/m one for that price. i might send it out to mike for kicks, but only of i dont like the way the a/m one sounds. anyways, thanks for your help guys
Old 01-01-2005 | 09:23 AM

No problem. I went aftermarket myself. If you decide to not use them. Pull all the parts out and see what they will give you for them. You might make a few bucks. I know they really like the amps. Sometimes they will give you @$20 a piece for the amps alone. Worth a call if you go that route. Good luck. I used to live in Northport. Spent first 26 years of my life there. I like the Florida weather better. I was doing an engine swap yesterday on a Ford Truck. Yuck. Second swap in a month. Last one was with awsm66 and CB on his black max. I like the max better.

Anyways enough rambling. God bless and have a great new year. I hope your fiance has good tunes again soon.
David
Old 01-02-2005 | 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by portdave
No problem. I went aftermarket myself. If you decide to not use them. Pull all the parts out and see what they will give you for them. You might make a few bucks. I know they really like the amps. Sometimes they will give you @$20 a piece for the amps alone. Worth a call if you go that route. Good luck. I used to live in Northport. Spent first 26 years of my life there. I like the Florida weather better. I was doing an engine swap yesterday on a Ford Truck. Yuck. Second swap in a month. Last one was with awsm66 and CB on his black max. I like the max better.

Anyways enough rambling. God bless and have a great new year. I hope your fiance has good tunes again soon.
David
i threw the one from my car in there for the mean time(along with the 89-92 trim since it's a single din) and it actually works/sounds great. if it doesnt burn out the amps then it stays.
Old 01-04-2005 | 06:43 AM
RWD bolt-on conversion?

i have a 93 SE with the bose system too, except mine doesnt have a cd player
and my rear left 6x9" is blown

so this is what im going to do

i have a new Clarion cdplayer HU
30' of 12 guage
and 2 new pioneer 6x9"s with 220W max handling

im just going to take all the bose sstuff out and run the new wires next to the factory wires.
in the future im going to run front speakers, and and amp for the rear, amybe even a single 10" sub

i hate bose for having 2ohm speakers