3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help lights are going crazy!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help lights are going crazy!!

I just got my fuel injectors changed this morning and this evening I put on my head lights, and they go on but my instrument lights dont nor do the climate pannel lights nor do the tail lights. then I discover when I press the brake pedal the instrument lights, and climate lights and tail lights go on. I checked the fuse and they work. even when the car is off I press the brake light and the instrument lights go on.
I have a 90 Maxima SE does anyone know whats wrong with this?
Old 12-31-2004, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Legend
I just got my fuel injectors changed this morning and this evening I put on my head lights, and they go on but my instrument lights dont nor do the climate pannel lights nor do the tail lights. then I discover when I press the brake pedal the instrument lights, and climate lights and tail lights go on. I checked the fuse and they work. even when the car is off I press the brake light and the instrument lights go on.
I have a 90 Maxima SE does anyone know whats wrong with this?

Main light sw contacts are worn, burned. Take the assy out, open, clean contacts, helps for a while.

If not, Check the fuses again. RH parks are connected with instru.
Theres short circuit to brake light circuit.

See the forum...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=366134
Old 01-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just changed the stop light fuse because it burned out when I tested it with the fuse tester and the lights now go on when I turn the switch on but the lights also still go on when I press the brake pedal. Ar you sure it has nothing to do with a harness the mechanic forgot to out on or is loose some where under the hood.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Legend
I just changed the stop light fuse because it burned out when I tested it with the fuse tester and the lights now go on when I turn the switch on but the lights also still go on when I press the brake pedal. Ar you sure it has nothing to do with a harness the mechanic forgot to out on or is loose some where under the hood.
Have not played with maxima brake lights. But on any other vehicle this is the most (should be) simple issue. One plus wire to pedal switch. From there to brake lights. If any other connection is found, that is short circuit...

Wire color into sw =R/Y
Wire color rear ligts =R/G

Rear has combination lights: If water or smtg bent/shorted there, +12V will be routed to rear/instrument lights.

Wiring diagram can be found from the manual:
Maintenance Manual Online:
http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/Ui...&Parameters=004