3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

foul odor...and gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 11:34 AM
blacks92seAuto

foul odor...and gas

I was driving to my uncles out in the boonies, and I dropped someone off on the way, when I stopped I noticed this like rotten egg smell....it smelled really bad outside, and bad inside. I drove away and could still smell it for a block. then it went away. And then this morning I was driving to the store... and somestupid old **** just pulls out of a parking lot and crosses all the lanes without looking...causing me to slam on my brakes ( I hate when people don't pull into the closest lane even though it technically is ILLEGAL for them to cross lanes like alot of people do) so I got around her and just floored it...she went by in a flash and I only got a 1sec look at her face bu she looked at me like wtf. Anyways, when I floored it it followed with a nice strong whiff of gas and then I just coasted and it slowly went away.
Do I have the leaking fuel rail/hose line blues? I have never had any smells of gas until today. and the other smell was just rancid. what could it of been? I remember my friends jaguar smelled like it, like a rotten egg....and the car was brand new, it just smelled like that.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:42 AM
mod or sell?

rotten egg is normally a bad cat.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:49 AM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by internetautomar
rotten egg is normally a bad cat.
It is a brand new cat from WSP its not even a year old.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:51 AM
blacks92seAuto

I smell my exhaust every once in a while as its warming up or even after its been running a while and im stopped waiting for someone...it never smells like fuel or roten egg...I only noticed it when I stopped and let someone out....
I didn't notice at the time...but there could of just been another car there warming up that had the smell and it leaked into my car.....im probably just tripping on that smell....but I did smell gas when i floored it today.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:03 PM
blacks92seAuto

i figured it out...I forgot to recconnect a hose to the EGR valve when I was doing my water gauge install...

Old 01-10-2005, 08:12 AM

Hey...only once I smelled the same thing - its smelled like rotten eggs! I also had the gasoline smell in the vents first thing in the morning but then eventually it would go away once the car was warmed..

However, I havent done anything to the car, but it seems like both smells are gone. I don't want to chance having something go wrong...so what exactly did you do to make it go away? I'm sorry but im a 19 yr old Female and I dont know shyt when it comes to cars....

Last year (2004) I had to replace my exhaust, everything from the cat back - Could it be my catalytic converter that made that rotten egg smell, since I didnt have that replaced (they said I didnt need it)?

I think i know what the fuel smell is in my car...DanNY made a stickie about it so i think thats just the fuel rails..and the gas hoses that go to it...
Old 01-10-2005, 09:56 AM
blacks92seAuto

[QUOTE=LMaRiE91MaXiMa] I'm sorry but im a 19 yr old Female /QUOTE]
you cute? hehe don't matter anyways, I got a g/f...but anyways...I just attached the hose I had disconnected earlier.. But like internetautomart said...rotten egg is usually from a bad cat....let your car warm up...rev it up a lil bit and go to the muff and smell your exhaust. Im sure your cat is fine. If you really really want to know if your car is performing like its suppose to be or at least the motor is running properly...take your car down to the emiisions testing place...and just get your emmisions tested for like 10bucks.....if you pass everything, then im sure your cat is fine...but if you get high on a certain level of emmision then maybe something needs to be changed. Its hard to tell if a cat is bad when its installed....they all get that rusted look to it even after a few hundred miles. The fuel smell you have is most likely the hoses on the fuel rails like you said.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:19 PM

some gasoline brands have more of a sulphur (egg) smell, or so I've heard. Try another brand.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:40 AM

[QUOTE=blacks92seAuto]
Originally Posted by LMaRiE91MaXiMa
I'm sorry but im a 19 yr old Female /QUOTE]
you cute? hehe don't matter anyways, I got a g/f...but anyways...I just attached the hose I had disconnected earlier.. But like internetautomart said...rotten egg is usually from a bad cat....let your car warm up...rev it up a lil bit and go to the muff and smell your exhaust. Im sure your cat is fine. If you really really want to know if your car is performing like its suppose to be or at least the motor is running properly...take your car down to the emiisions testing place...and just get your emmisions tested for like 10bucks.....if you pass everything, then im sure your cat is fine...but if you get high on a certain level of emmision then maybe something needs to be changed. Its hard to tell if a cat is bad when its installed....they all get that rusted look to it even after a few hundred miles. The fuel smell you have is most likely the hoses on the fuel rails like you said.
Thank you for the info! and MaximaM too! I dont think im due for emissions yet, but maybe ill take a stop down at a place and see what they say - it couldnt hurt right?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:48 AM
blacks92seAuto

Thank you for the info! and MaximaM too! I dont think im due for emissions yet, but maybe ill take a stop down at a place and see what they say - it couldnt hurt right?
nope...if you pass emmissions with flying colors, most likely everything is running the way it should be. Its a good way to see if a car is worth buying when buying a used car.....take it for a test drive, and swing by and pay 10bucks for emmissions. The worst thing that could happen is your car could fail emmissions and you will have paperwork on what failed giving you even a better idea how to fix your car.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:38 PM

i i had the same problem and i have a wsp cat
Old 01-11-2005, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=blacks92seAuto]
I'm sorry but im a 19 yr old Female /QUOTE]
P.S. I have a b/f too anyway - but I do have a corny page I made a lil while ago which has pix - and soon to be pix of my Max too...
take a look: http://hometown.aol.com/laurenmarie518

(Don't say I didn't tell ya that the page is CORNY)