3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bypassing bose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 09:21 PM

Bypassing bose?

Will I be bypassing my stock bose system and escaping costly damage if I...
1st) remove bose cassette player and replace with new H.U.
2nd)remove all stock amps and speakers and replace with new ones
I was just wondering because someone wants to charge me $250 to do this if it is correct...but I think i can do it myself if this is all it takes. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Way out West

It isn't that hard and $250 is waaaaay to much for the job. I thought the quote I had for $100 was too much. Really, you are best served doing it yourself. It is not hard, but a little time consuming.

I would recommend buying a wiring harness, that way it is clean and you have wires for the power, remote wire, antenna, etc. After that there are two different tracks to take for installing speakers in the stock locations (doors and rear shelf).

1) running speakers off of the HU power or
2) running speakers off of an amplifier

For No. 1, you can run wires easily from the HU to the doors and then use the Bose wiring for the rear 6x9s (or run wire from the HU to the rear). This is the easiest method by far.

For No. 2, you need to decide where to mount an amp, then run RCA cables from the HU to the amp and speaker wires from the amp to the speakers. My amp is in the trunk and I have RCAs from the HU to the trunk and speaker wires going from the trunk back up to the doors. This is quite a bit more costly (especially if you buy good wire). The longer RCAs are expensive, as is the speaker wire.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:12 PM

Actually if u want to have the speakers work off the stock wiring its pretty simple i used to be an installer for best buy. all you have to do is the wiring harness that goes into the amp of each speaker you disconnect that from the amp. the 2 thinner wire that are in the harness are you speaker wires. get a speaker and just hook it up to see which is positive and which is negetive.

you can tell by when the bass hits if the speakers excursions goes down then u have it backwards and when it goes up.. obviously u got it right. same with the back that all you have to do. just cut those wire from the harness and just solder on some extra wire to reach your speaker hook it up and your done. pretty simple. it take me like 15 mins to do an entire maxima. if u want u can pm me and ill give u my number and ill talk u through it but this is the cheapest and EXTREAMLY EASIEST WAY TO DO IT...... the hard part is to get the door off and that a piece of cake to begin with...hehehhe,, good luck
Old 01-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Way out West

You are right about using the stock wiring. Somewhere there is a color coded guide to the wires, so you don't have to test them.

In the FAQs in the stickies, Craig Brace's site has a "how to" on replacing the window regulator. That includes instructions on taking the door panels off.

I just replaced the wire because the factory wires are so thin and I wanted to run an amp for my door speakers. My rear 6x9s are running off of the HU power and I am using the stock wires for those.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:20 AM
I will eat your children

ok if you are using the factory bose speakers just off of a head unit you can actually cause damage to the h/u. bose speakers are 2 ohm. my fronts are bose and the have high pass filters (bass blockers). and my rears i put in a set of pioneeres. just somethin to keep in mind
Old 01-23-2005, 11:56 AM

Thanks for all the help. All my questions were answered 100%
I'd have to say this is the most helpful forum i've seen. Thanks again