3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd Generation Cupholder Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 11:33 AM

I have a 91 SE. As all of you who know these models, our cupholders are truly not functional as they are located on the glovebox door.

I found a guy on the internet that will sell me cupholders for my 91 SE that he says will fit in the place of the pocket below the radio.

He wants $30 for them. Is that a good price? Does anyone know if they really will fit in that place and look good and right?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2001, 12:05 PM
STFU n00b!

the 92-94 models had these cupholders. they look okay.
here's a pic of it in my car:
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic.../old/P1R_2.jpg
Old 05-01-2001, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
the 92-94 models had these cupholders. they look okay.
here's a pic of it in my car:
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic.../old/P1R_2.jpg

As per your picture, it looks good to me. Will they fit in a 91 model? And is $30 a fair price? I really want it, but dont want to overpay.
Old 05-01-2001, 02:32 PM

hey desi

where can i get some of these, i need some cup holders for my 89 maxima.

Originally posted by superdesi
I have a 91 SE. As all of you who know these models, our cupholders are truly not functional as they are located on the glovebox door.

I found a guy on the internet that will sell me cupholders for my 91 SE that he says will fit in the place of the pocket below the radio.

He wants $30 for them. Is that a good price? Does anyone know if they really will fit in that place and look good and right?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2001, 02:52 PM
Spaz

cupholders

They're useless. Only one of the holes is actually big enough to put a drink in and it blocks your radio buttons if you put anything in it. Don't bother.

Old 05-01-2001, 04:36 PM

yea..a lil small one..then theres the bigger hole ..and when u gun the car those drinks are flying everywhere...plus..there is cupholders in the glove compartment..
Old 05-01-2001, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

They got some after market cupholders that attach to the an A/C vent. I picked one up at Kragen for 9 bucks. I was afraid it would break and take my vent with it but it works pretty good. Its a cupholder/cel-phone holder. Since I usually ride to work alone, I dont care that I partially blocked the passenger vent with the cupholder.

JMac

Originally posted by JibaroMax
yea..a lil small one..then theres the bigger hole ..and when u gun the car those drinks are flying everywhere...plus..there is cupholders in the glove compartment..
Old 05-01-2001, 09:05 PM
Tom

Cupholders

These things are pretty basic, but better than nothing I found. If you drink mostly from a 12 oz can, and don't drive too aggressively, these will work fine for you.

If you like to change CDs frequently, it can be a problem, so I have a CD-changer.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by JMac
They got some after market cupholders that attach to the an A/C vent. I picked one up at Kragen for 9 bucks. I was afraid it would break and take my vent with it but it works pretty good. Its a cupholder/cel-phone holder. Since I usually ride to work alone, I dont care that I partially blocked the passenger vent with the cupholder.

JMac

I haven't seen the ones that attach to the A/C vent, but I recently bought some plastic ones (4-pack) that hold onto the door panel. They have a little wedge that is supposed to go where the window comes up but I found it a little difficult to install it in my Maxima.

On the other hand, it installed flawlessly and perfectly in my Dad's 1997 Licoln Town Car. It has more gap for the wedge to fit in.

Is there no easy solution for holding our beverages in our Maximas? What the hell were the design engineers thinking?
Old 05-01-2001, 09:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't know what the designers were thinking of but obviously they werent thirsty. Its gotta be the worst setup for trying to put a cup holder anywhere in a car. You cant even find room between the seats to put one. I found the door hanging one to be too clumsy and in the way. I actually thought of building one in the hole below the radio myself until I found the vent one.

Good luck. If you want to try the vent one you should be able to find it at most any autopart store.

I haven't seen the ones that attach to the A/C vent, but I recently bought some plastic ones (4-pack) that hold onto the door panel. They have a little wedge that is supposed to go where the window comes up but I found it a little difficult to install it in my Maxima.

On the other hand, it installed flawlessly and perfectly in my Dad's 1997 Licoln Town Car. It has more gap for the wedge to fit in.

Is there no easy solution for holding our beverages in our Maximas? What the hell were the design engineers thinking?
Old 05-01-2001, 10:19 PM

I don't know what the designers were thinking of but obviously they werent thirsty. Its gotta be the worst setup for trying to put a cup holder anywhere in a car. You cant even find room between the seats to put one. I found the door hanging one to be too clumsy and in the way. I actually thought of building one in the hole below the radio myself until I found the vent one.

Good luck. If you want to try the vent one you should be able to find it at most any autopart store.

The A/C vent ones seem to work for you. Who makes them?

And do they adjust for cup sizes? I think I will try those, rather than pay $30 for the ones that are OEM in 92-94 models.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'll have to look at the old receipt. They do adjust. I don't think you'll be able to fit a 44 oz drink in it but it adjust to average sizes.
I'll have to get back to you on the maker.

The A/C vent ones seem to work for you. Who makes them?

And do they adjust for cup sizes? I think I will try those, rather than pay $30 for the ones that are OEM in 92-94 models.
Old 05-02-2001, 12:02 AM

if i rememeber correctly there are volkswagen
passat cupholders that you can buy that
can be bolted to the side of the center shift
console...

they hold up pretty well and can fold flat

gotta go find me some...
Old 05-02-2001, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by Evil Yak
if i rememeber correctly there are volkswagen
passat cupholders that you can buy that
can be bolted to the side of the center shift
console...

they hold up pretty well and can fold flat

gotta go find me some...
Ya, BMW makes them in a variety of colors and styles, I will take a look for them again and see how much they cost. I guess the bolt right on the side. Wasnt there someone on this board going to make some for us? I remember that in a really old post. Someone was making them specially for 3rd gens, and actually got it to fit 3rd gen autos. What ever happened to that idea?
Old 05-02-2001, 04:35 PM

yea i think it was te icaarus dude, but i dont know what ever happened with that.. im thinking of making a metal plate and cutting one or two holes in it for a cup and sticking it in the center console area.. thats the only decent place i can find for a cup holder, but its kinda small so there may only be room for one.. stupid stupid stupid design flaw...
Old 05-02-2001, 06:09 PM

A/C vent cupholders

Here are picures of my A/C vent cupholders.
Old 05-02-2001, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: A/C vent cupholders

Hey, I like those cupholders. The one I got mounts a little higher on the vent and I think it blocks more air. The ones you got look like they mount lower, where did you pick up yours and who's the manufacturer?

JMac

Originally posted by tokkuri
Here are picures of my A/C vent cupholders.
Old 05-02-2001, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe
stupid stupid stupid design flaw...

I will second that notion. Real stupid design flaw.

BTW, Brandon, is that a "Small Sealed" (Type 1) Q-Logic box?
Old 05-02-2001, 07:26 PM

Re: Re: A/C vent cupholders

Hey, I like those cupholders. The one I got mounts a little higher on the vent and I think it blocks more air. The ones you got look like they mount lower, where did you pick up yours and who's the manufacturer?

JMac

Those cupholders look real sweet. Today I went to Walmart to see if they have anything like those, but I saw none.

Please tell us where you purchased those and how much they cost.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:31 PM

Those A/C vent cupholders are mostly Japanese products.They are very common in Japan. There are many varieties of cupholder. Mine does radiate under the Black Light. If you are located in near L.A. you can buy them at Japanese car accessory store in Little Tokyo. They cost from $10 -$20 pair. Also I'll let you know web shop when I find one. I'm still working on it.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:49 PM

here is a web store

The store that I bought my cupholders has a web store too.
Go www.autofreak.net. They have a lots of car accessory include cupholders. Probably you can find something you like.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:54 PM

Re: here is a web store

Originally posted by tokkuri
The store that I bought my cupholders has a web store too.
Go www.autofreak.net. They have a lots of car accessory include cupholders. Probably you can find something you like.

Thanks for the website. How big of a cup can those hold?
Are they pretty sturdy? And what was that them "radiating" under black light?
Old 05-02-2001, 09:15 PM

Mine can hold up to medium sized drink cup and regular cans.
They are sturdy enough to hold them.
"radiating" means that cupholdres glow in the dark with blacklight.
Old 05-02-2001, 10:42 PM

I will second that notion. Real stupid design flaw.

BTW, Brandon, is that a "Small Sealed" (Type 1) Q-Logic box?
yep im thinkin it is.. the type two demensions look too big, so i think i definitly have a type one. the sub hits really nicely in it though, good boxes. the only problem is that the screws leak air, which gives the bass around the box a little flutterty sound, but you cant hear it in the car, just at the sub right there, i fixed it by taping over the screw holes though haha.