3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Talked w/ a Nissan Tech today (VTC related)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalDashMax
Dam it that just makes me want to fix them all the more! I hope that after spending all this time/money that I don't end up waisting it and they blow again or even worse my little fix-it idea for the gallies don't blow my engine!

Jeff - my reasoning against this idea sort of comes from the same thought that gave me the idea. I remember reading about someone's heart arteries being clogged and they fixed it by performing an "Angioplasty". (they stick a baloon in there inflate it and it loosens what's blocking the artery and in this case my wire brush would be my baloon). The only drawback is that when they loosen whats blocking the artery it can sometimes get stuck in smaller arteries causing a blockage (stroke). I'm sure that changing the oil and filter will help that not from happening but I just don't want any of that hard crap clogging another oil channel and blowing the engine.
Hmmm, nice analogy
Old 03-01-2005, 03:29 PM

Wow Aaron, sorry to hear that. I wonder what went wrong. Is it the basic tick thats present up to when the VTC's turn on? just wanted to make sure its not lifters or chain tensioner....... As long as a line is scribed on the body, then they cannot be assembled wrong.

I replaced the two upper chain tensioners when I did mine. I was lucky to have diagnosed a bad one before doing the whole job.

Jeff, my internals looked flawless I'm glad to say . I feel pretty confident. Mobil 1 all the way .
Old 03-01-2005, 03:31 PM

So from what I read here is the conclusion that unless you remove the heads and clean the oil gallies your 95% assured that your VTC's will fail again within 20,000k's? I'm all for rebuilding the VTC's but not if I need to dismanlte the engine for the fix to stick.

Thats definitly not true. Or at least I'll let you know in another 15k miles

Very few unsucessful rebuilts were reported. Hey maybe someone should make a sticky-poll on this subject.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

I know how you feel. But I believe these gallies are about the smallest in the engine.

Dam it that just makes me want to fix them all the more! I hope that after spending all this time/money that I don't end up waisting it and they blow again or even worse my little fix-it idea for the gallies don't blow my engine!

Jeff - my reasoning against this idea sort of comes from the same thought that gave me the idea. I remember reading about someone's heart arteries being clogged and they fixed it by performing an "Angioplasty". (they stick a baloon in there inflate it and it loosens what's blocking the artery and in this case my wire brush would be my baloon). The only drawback is that when they loosen whats blocking the artery it can sometimes get stuck in smaller arteries causing a blockage (stroke). I'm sure that changing the oil and filter will help that not from happening but I just don't want any of that hard crap clogging another oil channel and blowing the engine.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:21 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by eric93SE
Wow Aaron, sorry to hear that. I wonder what went wrong. Is it the basic tick thats present up to when the VTC's turn on? just wanted to make sure its not lifters or chain tensioner....... As long as a line is scribed on the body, then they cannot be assembled wrong.

I replaced the two upper chain tensioners when I did mine. I was lucky to have diagnosed a bad one before doing the whole job.

Jeff, my internals looked flawless I'm glad to say . I feel pretty confident. Mobil 1 all the way .
I am sure it's a VTC tick b/c when I ground it, it's quiet. It does suck!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I am sure it's a VTC tick b/c when I ground it, it's quiet. It does suck!
Hey Aaron, have you ever tried a motor flush on your engine?

Remember that the VTC's have to be on (grounded) for oil to flow through the device. As long as your gallies are not fully plugged I would try running either motor flush or a whole can of seafoam and let it idle for like 7-10min. and then do an oil change (don't drive the car ofcourse). I think its worth a 10$ try.

I'm annoyed that I removed my VTC on/off switch, since I ocasionally run a motor flush and want the VTC's to be on to also get flushed.

edit: and with a switch on the VTC's you can turn them on/off and cycle them, that will give pressure a chance to build (breifly ofcouse) against the assembly and create some turbulance.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:16 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Hey Aaron, have you ever tried a motor flush on your engine?

Remember that the VTC's have to be on (grounded) for oil to flow through the device. As long as your gallies are not fully plugged I would try running either motor flush or a whole can of seafoam and let it idle for like 7-10min. and then do an oil change (don't drive the car ofcourse). I think its worth a 10$ try.

I'm annoyed that I removed my VTC on/off switch, since I ocasionally run a motor flush and want the VTC's to be on to also get flushed.

edit: and with a switch on the VTC's you can turn them on/off and cycle them, that will give pressure a chance to build (breifly ofcouse) against the assembly and create some turbulance.
No I haven't flushed my motor. I seriously doubt that's what made my VTCs fail so quickly. But, I don't think it will hurt.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:45 PM

Well one possibility is that when you bought the vtc springs they gave you an old batch, so the spring steel lost some of its spring constant after getting heated in the engine. It would be interesting to measure the spring constant of your original springs and compare it to whats in the car now, and then to another set of springs either from a fresh rebuild kit (or even from a complete new assembly).

Did you buy the spring as apart of the rebuild kit?, I'm assuming you did, but thought I'd ask anyway.

..........Could rebuilt vtc failure have to do with some retard working in a nissan warehouse somewhere, trying to make an extra buck passing off old springs for new ones...............
Old 03-05-2005, 08:21 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Well one possibility is that when you bought the vtc springs they gave you an old batch, so the spring steel lost some of its spring constant after getting heated in the engine. It would be interesting to measure the spring constant of your original springs and compare it to whats in the car now, and then to another set of springs either from a fresh rebuild kit (or even from a complete new assembly).

Did you buy the spring as apart of the rebuild kit?, I'm assuming you did, but thought I'd ask anyway.

..........Could rebuilt vtc failure have to do with some retard working in a nissan warehouse somewhere, trying to make an extra buck passing off old springs for new ones...............
Well, that is what I was thinking. Yes, I got a new rebuild kit from Kaleb at Courtesy Nissan. One rebuild kit box was very old looking with worn labeling. The other one was new looking. Both springs seem to be identical in every way. Very new looking. The ones I pulled out of my motor were very new looking also! Some people think they can tell a difference in spring stiffness just by testing them in your hands. They seemed identical in every way to me. They were equal in stiffness from what I can tell in my hands.

So it's possible, I got a bad spring rebuild kit. Or it might be possible that oil didn't get to the VTCs nearly fast enough, caused them to heat up quickly and eventually fail after only 1K miles. My oil passages might be severely clogged. In fact, I am guessing they are. B/c if I let my car sit for more than 15 hours, I got to crank it up and I hear a loud ticking sound at startup for only a fraction of a second. So, oil is not making it to the top of the motor fast enough. It could be due to my clogged gallies. Who knows? But I don't think I will attempt this rebuild again. The next time I go into my motor, I will have to remove my heads and replace them right. Might as well do a valve job and port work to the heads and fix one broken stud that I couldn't fix myself (EZ out snapped inside head).
Old 03-05-2005, 04:36 PM

Wow, thats funny, I too had two different packages of rebuild kits, one old looking and one new. I asked the parts guy if he could find another new looking box, but that was all they had.

My engine also has a 1 sec clatter at startup, that usually depends a bit on the oil filter and its ability to hold the oil with its antidrain back valve. Especially when its cold out.

The spring height is something easy to notice, but its not much ( maybe 5mm). Also the guage of the spring is greater on the new ones.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:12 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Wow, thats funny, I too had two different packages of rebuild kits, one old looking and one new. I asked the parts guy if he could find another new looking box, but that was all they had.

My engine also has a 1 sec clatter at startup, that usually depends a bit on the oil filter and its ability to hold the oil with its antidrain back valve. Especially when its cold out.

The spring height is something easy to notice, but its not much ( maybe 5mm). Also the guage of the spring is greater on the new ones.

Good luck.
Hmm, I didn't notice any difference in size or thickness. I put them side by side and really examined them. They were identical in every way I could see. I would do the rebuild again, but I doubt it would fix the ticking. If there was some way I can figure that it was error on my part or a faulty rebuild kit, then I would do the rebuild again. But, it sucks that I have to remove my heads, clean the gallies and buy $800 worth of parts just to do this job right. I am about to dump $2500 on my tranny, so this has to wait. It will most likely have to wait until after my turbo project is done.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Well a new development today. Last night I disconected the ground wire from the VTC's just to see how loud the clacking has gotten and you know what, no clack! I started up the motor this morning (by the way its -14 C out this moring) and still no clack. I really don't know what happened. When I got the car it was already gounded and I had just assumed that the guy b4 me had done so b/c they were makin noise but the moron probably just did it /bc he read about it. Anyhow this sort of make me feel alot better as the only thing that I plan on doing now is removing them when I change the valve cover gasket and cleaning the oil gallies b4 they start to fail.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:55 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Well a new development today. Last night I disconected the ground wire from the VTC's just to see how loud the clacking has gotten and you know what, no clack! I started up the motor this morning (by the way its -14 C out this moring) and still no clack. I really don't know what happened. When I got the car it was already gounded and I had just assumed that the guy b4 me had done so b/c they were makin noise but the moron probably just did it /bc he read about it. Anyhow this sort of make me feel alot better as the only thing that I plan on doing now is removing them when I change the valve cover gasket and cleaning the oil gallies b4 they start to fail.
Are you sure you have a VE30DE motor? Almost all 91 SE's have the VG30E motor, which doesn't have VTCs.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:24 AM

Opps Yea I'm sure I forgot to change my sig when I bought the VE. lol. Thanks for pointing that out I would have never changed it.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got something a lot better to see VTC affect than below diagram (which was from a different engine): A dyno report from a 3rd Gen SE w/VTC on vs. grounded:

http://www.4dsc.com/discussion/messages/73312.shtml

An important thing to note is that with the VTC grounded the timing is adjusted for LOW-END TORQUE, so that, in this case, the negative affect doesn't kick in until around 4800 RPM, with about 10 ft/lb loss at 5000 and 15 at 6000. (So, in below diagram the TOP curve would be the closest to the one w/the VTC grounded).

My question is: what is the real-world result of this dyno sheet (thinking of getting a 3rd-gen Max but the VTC issue scared me so I'm trying to get as much info as possible)? With fairly aggressive driving (but NOT drag-racing) what are the shift points, approximately? (If they are before 5000 RPM it appears that you would not notice any performance loss from a disabled VTC until 5th gear.)

In 5th, about how fast are you going at 5000 and 6000 RPM (w/working VTC)?

(First post. Found a VTC thread with google. With search off (!), and the 15 post requirement before you can start a thread (!), this place is frustratingly un-useful, since I'm sure there is a lot of knowledgeable people on here whose brain I can't pick, and good stuff buried in the archives that I can't find. . At least I found a thread I can post something relevant on.)

Originally Posted by Loe max
Old 10-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by tman
Got something a lot better to see VTC affect than below diagram (which was from a different engine): A dyno report from a 3rd Gen SE w/VTC on vs. grounded:

http://www.4dsc.com/discussion/messages/73312.shtml

An important thing to note is that with the VTC grounded the timing is adjusted for LOW-END TORQUE, so that, in this case, the negative affect doesn't kick in until around 4800 RPM, with about 10 ft/lb loss at 5000 and 15 at 6000. (So, in below diagram the TOP curve would be the closest to the one w/the VTC grounded).

My question is: what is the real-world result of this dyno sheet (thinking of getting a 3rd-gen Max but the VTC issue scared me so I'm trying to get as much info as possible)? With fairly aggressive driving (but NOT drag-racing) what are the shift points, approximately? (If they are before 5000 RPM it appears that you would not notice any performance loss from a disabled VTC until 5th gear.)

In 5th, about how fast are you going at 5000 and 6000 RPM (w/working VTC)?

(First post. Found a VTC thread with google. With search off (!), and the 15 post requirement before you can start a thread (!), this place is frustratingly un-useful, since I'm sure there is a lot of knowledgeable people on here whose brain I can't pick, and good stuff buried in the archives that I can't find. . At least I found a thread I can post something relevant on.)

Dude, you broke the first rule of 4dsc.com: we don't talk about 4dsc.com on the org.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
Dude, you broke the first rule of 4dsc.com: we don't talk about 4dsc.com on the org.
gotta admit though, that's one hell of a first post
Old 10-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by MrGone
gotta admit though, that's one hell of a first post

Who is this guy? Something seems fishy(sp)
Old 10-05-2005, 04:42 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by CandiMan

Who is this guy? Something seems fishy(sp)

Looks like he read the stickies.....Why is the question....
Old 10-05-2005, 06:21 AM
STFU n00b!

heh.. welcome to the site..
rule #1. we try to leave 4dsc out of the picture here. too many idiots on this board and those of us that post on the other one like our quiet little corner.

to answer your question, unless you you shift above 5000rpm on a regular basis (which is almost never for normal people), then you will see zero difference in daily driving.
the gearing on these cars is pretty tall. Redline in 2nd gear is around 62mph. by the time you hit 5000rpm on this engine in 5th gear, you're going well over 100mph- (at 5000rpm in 3rd gear, you're doing around 75mph or so..) so it's not goign to matter to 90% of the population.

the only time it would really matter in daily driving is when you're merging on an on ramp and running out 1st and 2nd gears. you'll hit 5000rpm in 2nd gear right about 50mph. even at that point you can generally shift to 3rd gear and still pull hard enough to get up to speed safely. It's still WAY faster than a Metro or Festiva in any gear!! So it's safe to say you won't have a problem with lack of power for any real world driving.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Way out West

The one problem I had with grounding my VTCs was the idle. On my previous engine, the VTCs would clack almost all of the time and grounding them did make them quiet. However, my idle struggled to maintain a balance. Mostly the car would die when I pushed in the clutch, like at a stop sign or a red light.

I just put them back and dealt with the clacking.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:32 AM
STFU n00b!

Give the car about a day to adjust and the IACV will learn to run the engine just fine at idle wih them grounded.

after leaving mine grounded for so long, mine had a problem running when them UNgrounded.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:27 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

My biggest issue before i grounded mine was a severe lack of power until about 3500 rpm,then it took off like a bullet....after i grounded them the low end power returned...
Old 10-05-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

Hmm, I guess the idling problem is why the VTC default is in the high rpm range.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:17 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
My biggest issue before i grounded mine was a severe lack of power until about 3500 rpm,then it took off like a bullet....after i grounded them the low end power returned...
So your sayin there is a performance loss with the VTC's clacking?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
So your sayin there is a performance loss with the VTC's clacking?
No im saying that there was a severe power loss with them ungrounded vs.grounded....Grounding them did not completely eliminate the vtc clacking,it just didn't clack as bad or long with them grounded....

From what i have read here and elsewhere the 94 ve's vtc's were not supposed to clack ...
Old 10-05-2005, 11:39 AM
I miss my VE

No im saying that there was a severe power loss with them ungrounded vs.grounded....Grounding them did not completely eliminate the vtc clacking,it just didn't clack as bad or long with them grounded....

From what i have read here and elsewhere the 94 ve's vtc's were not supposed to clack ...
Yeah, I heard that too. Maybe they just prolonged VTC life

Anyway, how about good VTC's VS Clacking ones, is what I meant. Performance loss? Since I never owned a VE without them clacking, I wouldn't know.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:51 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yeah, I heard that too. Maybe they just prolonged VTC life
I doubt it...It's probably misinformation....

Anyway, how about good VTC's VS Clacking ones, is what I meant. Performance loss? Since I never owned a VE without them clacking, I wouldn't know.
I am pretty sure nobody has had the power loss issue with good vtc's...
Old 10-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I miss my VE

I am pretty sure nobody has had the power loss issue with good vtc's...
You mean with clacking VTC's right? Obviosly there would be no powerloss with good VTC's.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Give the car about a day to adjust and the IACV will learn to run the engine just fine at idle wih them grounded.

after leaving mine grounded for so long, mine had a problem running when them UNgrounded.
I left it like that for about two weeks and it still persisted. The minute I put it back to normal the VTCs clacked and it idled fine.

It's possible that my IACV was kind of gunked up, though. I had to replace it recently (same IACV from my first engine on the JDM).
Old 10-05-2005, 12:04 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You mean with clacking VTC's right? Obviosly there would be no powerloss with good VTC's.

No clack= good......clack= bad.....
Old 10-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I miss my VE

No clack= good......clack= bad.....
From what I understood in other threads, there isn't any powerloss with clacking VTCs. Please correct me if Im wrong, but the only bad thing about them is the noise.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:42 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

From what I understood in other threads, there isn't any powerloss with clacking VTCs. Please correct me if Im wrong, but the only bad thing about them is the noise.
As far as i know i am the only one on here that has experienced the power loss...

I would like Matt or Jeff to chime in on this issue and maybe shed some light on it....
Old 10-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info. Looks like I may be back to looking for a 92-4 SE. I assume that even with the VTC grounded there is still more high-end torque than a VG engine???

Sorry about breaking the 'rule'. Who knew? Maybe if I could use the SEARCH FUNCTION I wouldn't have had to.

Interested in the follow-up about noisy VTCs (are noisy ones bad?). Is there any way to know (besides a dyno or "feel") when they are not working? (I'm guessing it may be a gradual thing and at some point when they sound like a diesel they are no longer doing anything.)

fishy??
Old 10-05-2005, 01:59 PM

Who knew? Maybe if I could use the SEARCH FUNCTION I wouldn't have had to.

fishy??
If your going to buy a Max, DONATE and get the wonderful world of SEARCH. Believe me the level of greif you get will be worth it.

PS. To get your posts up, ***** the Off topic board
Old 10-05-2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

that was kind of a foriegn concept when I grounded mine. I did so much to try and figure out what was wrong with my idle. Drove it around for a few days and perfecto! I think it was you, Matt, who helped me figure out that one lol.

Then I put them on a switch and I could switch back and forth, grounded there would be a small stumber here and there idling with AC off, but nothing too bad, you know the drill.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Hmm, I guess the idling problem is why the VTC default is in the high rpm range.
doesn't make too much sense but hey it works so I'm not going to mess with it
Old 10-05-2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks like I may be back to looking for a 92-4 SE. I assume that even with the VTC grounded there is still more high-end torque than a VG engine???

Sorry about breaking the 'rule'. Who knew? Maybe if I could use the SEARCH FUNCTION I wouldn't have had to.

Interested in the follow-up about noisy VTCs (are noisy ones bad?). Is there any way to know (besides a dyno or "feel") when they are not working? (I'm guessing it may be a gradual thing and at some point when they sound like a diesel they are no longer doing anything.)

fishy??
that's kind of the funny part. I'm not entirely convinced that just because they make noise they have stopped doing their job. Back when I was fully modded I could feel a difference between grounded and not grounded in the highend. Grounded it just took it's time getting to redline where as ungrounded the engine just seemed to pull a little harder or stronger. Now I had a TON of mods which made smaller changes somewhat easier to detect. I think I would have to really be looking for it with a stock VE 5spd and I would think it could be dang near impossible with an Auto because of the rotating mass.

I have a good idea on what is actually making the sound, and if I am right it could also explain some top end powerloss or why people say the engine feels much stronger once new springs are installed. I can't even begin to explain it on here though. Maybe if you have a VTC assembly at your desk lol. Or I might just take another one apart and take pics and we can have an uber technical discussion or something about it lol.

Eitherway VTC and fuel tank work are at the top of my list of things to run the hell away from with these cars lol.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:09 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by MrGone
Maybe if you have a VTC assembly at your desk lol. Or I might just take another one apart and take pics and we can have an uber technical discussion or something about it lol.
Oh man, if you could do that you would definatly make everyones week. Has that even been done yet?

Maybe we can also figure out why the idling problem is the VTC default in the high rpm range like Jeff said, since the VTCs are only suppose to work in the low.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:06 PM

I was always thinking that the loss of spring tension that causes the clacking was actually causing the sprocket to change tension on the chain as the cam lobes came around and that it would also cause a "stalling" of the cam for a quick period which could cause a power loss..??? Your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Talked w/ a Nissan Tech today (VTC related)