3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VIN# issues...my car from Canada?? -->

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 10:20 AM

VIN# issues...my car from Canada?? -->

After reading posts on the org re the gas tank filler neck (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=347576), I wanted to get my car checked to see if I have any related issues as well.
I called my locan Nissan dealership to set up an appointment to get my car checked and they said they could not find my VIN number in Nissan's database. They could not track the original buyer, original dealership that sold the car; they found nothing.

I then called Nissan's Customer Service and they too said they could not find my VIN number. They said it could be 1) they have "archived" my VIN number so it is no longer accessable or 2) my car was sold in Canada and brought to the US. I don't think this is true because the speed-o-meter is in MPH. Any other clues?

Any ideas about this situation? It seems so odd. Does anyone have a link to a VIN# reference/lookukp? If I do have a safety issue I want to get it looked at/fixed but I can't even get a dealership to look at my car w/o a valid VIN #

If anyone has a carfax account, let me know if you could run my VIN and see what the history is.

TIA
Old 03-07-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by RamJetMax
After reading posts on the org re the gas tank filler neck (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=347576), I wanted to get my car checked to see if I have any related issues as well.
I called my locan Nissan dealership to set up an appointment to get my car checked and they said they could not find my VIN number in Nissan's database. They could not track the original buyer, original dealership that sold the car; they found nothing.

I then called Nissan's Customer Service and they too said they could not find my VIN number. They said it could be 1) they have "archived" my VIN number so it is no longer accessable or 2) my car was sold in Canada and brought to the US. I don't think this is true because the speed-o-meter is in MPH. Any other clues?

Any ideas about this situation? It seems so odd. Does anyone have a link to a VIN# reference/lookukp? If I do have a safety issue I want to get it looked at/fixed but I can't even get a dealership to look at my car w/o a valid VIN #

If anyone has a carfax account, let me know if you could run my VIN and see what the history is.

TIA
PM me the VIN
Old 03-07-2005, 11:39 AM

What a rot! The Canadian and USA VIN numbers are in the same database. Those are European VIN numbers that have their own FAST database. Carfax is not going to help you if Nissan does not recognize your VIN number either. The first thing to check is if the VIN number on the dashboard under windshield and on the plate on the firewall are the same and then give Nissan that number. You probably have a typo in your ownership, which you probably used to provide them with the VIN number???
Old 03-07-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
What a rot! The Canadian and USA VIN numbers are in the same database. Those are European VIN numbers that have their own FAST database. Carfax is not going to help you if Nissan does not recognize your VIN number either. The first thing to check is if the VIN number on the dashboard under windshield and on the plate on the firewall are the same and then give Nissan that number. You probably have a typo in your ownership, which you probably used to provide them with the VIN number???
I double checked the VIN number on my dash to make sure it is correct with my paperwork. I am going to check this number agains the firewall number this evening.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:51 PM

maybe your maxima is a bonafide import.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:42 PM

u should feel lucky if u have a canadian max... they generally are better equipped (e.g. rear disc brakes on gxe)
too bad this isn't the caes tho..
Old 03-07-2005, 02:55 PM

He has an SE though.

Hey....do you have automatic climate control?
Old 03-07-2005, 05:48 PM
mod or sell?

he would also lack the motorized belts