3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Went to replace spark plugs... uh oh!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:43 PM

Went to replace spark plugs... uh oh!

So I just bought a 92 SE about a week ago.

I've started doing some basic tune-up stuff, and replaced the spark plugs. I did the first 5, then got to the 6th, and firstly, noticed that inside the wire, the spring looked all messed up like someone had yanked on it then stuffed it back in. I'm gonna pick up a new wire.

Then the real problem, I start loosening the plug, but it feels kinda weird, then after a half to a full turn, it grinds to a halt. Seems to me someone has stripped the plug. I wasn't sure what to do, it didn't really want to turn either way, so I just left it. The car runs ok, aside from sometimes taking several pulls to start (also I hear water rushing at startup sometimes?? and rad IS full).

Is my car screwed ? Should I even attempt to remove the plug, or just leave it be ??
Old 03-14-2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 92SE_Dave
Is my car screwed ? Should I even attempt to remove the plug, or just leave it be ??
Vacuum the plug well with small extension; all dirt out. Blast with air. Then spray in WD-40 or similar. Let it soak. Turn plug back and forth, let sit. Again, until it comes out. Should come out...

Most probably burned soot in the end of plug, threads.

It is possible the threads are shot by steelman, some people just cannot... U can buy new threads, install. I have not heard if anybody has re-threaded while head is installed. I would try, then before installing plug, vacuum the cylinder. Anyways be prepared for that, dont change plugs in MacDonalds queue...
Old 03-15-2005, 04:00 AM
Moved on to BMW's :(

Good advice: clean the area very well, hit it with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench, work it in, let it sit for a day or two, repeat, then get that plug outtta there.
My plugs did the same thing -- I think they were original equipment because they were oooooooold. Anyway, when I backed them out they actually got harder to turn as they came out. I believe the threads on the end were caked with carbon and other cylinder goop. One of my plug wires was actually frozen on to the plug and I ripped the plug boot getting it off!
People don't change spark plugs very often like they used to!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:41 AM
mod or sell?

people don't need to change plugs as often as they used to.
the VE has 60k plugs from the factory. I checked mine when I got my car and they were all good still , don't know if they were original though
Old 03-15-2005, 01:14 PM

Its a good habit to put either oil or anti-sieze grease on the threads, don't over do-it. I used to put a little too much and the anti-sieze grease would get a little hard and the plug would be a little difficult to get out. Also using a small torque wrench, I ususally torqe to about 10-12, the manual says I think 14. Most people under torque them, and that leads to a plug that runs a lot hotter then its supposed to.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Vacuum the plug well with small extension; all dirt out. Blast with air. Then spray in WD-40 or similar. Let it soak. Turn plug back and forth, let sit. Again, until it comes out. Should come out...

Most probably burned soot in the end of plug, threads.

It is possible the threads are shot by steelman, some people just cannot... U can buy new threads, install. I have not heard if anybody has re-threaded while head is installed. I would try, then before installing plug, vacuum the cylinder. Anyways be prepared for that, dont change plugs in MacDonalds queue...
So you think it is unlikely that there is actual thread damage in the cylinder head ??

Is it better to attempt removal when engine is hot ?

This thing is REALLY stuck...
Old 03-15-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 92SE_Dave
So you think it is unlikely that there is actual thread damage in the cylinder head ??

Is it better to attempt removal when engine is hot ?

This thing is REALLY stuck...

The threads go bad very seldom. Take a week, excercise twice a day.

Hot? Dunno. If u think that the WD-40 does the job, which way ? it will enter down better and remove the dirt (ask autoshops what would be the best poison for this, maybe weld bits ? remover).

Seafoam? Water injection in hot running 3000rpm engine removes dirt with steam.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I went to chane my spark plugs and I looked in the first one and there was oil at the base of where you tighten or loosen the spark plug. I didn't have an extension to take it out so I haven't done it yet but only 1 out of the 3 that I checked had that. Do you know what might be wrong with that? What does that mean?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by maxeema
... what might be wrong with that? What does that mean?
Valve cover seals leaking. Dry it with cloth before plug swap.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
The threads go bad very seldom. Take a week, excercise twice a day.

Hot? Dunno. If u think that the WD-40 does the job, which way ? it will enter down better and remove the dirt (ask autoshops what would be the best poison for this, maybe weld bits ? remover).

Seafoam? Water injection in hot running 3000rpm engine removes dirt with steam.
Holy crap WD-40 works wonders, I got it out in less than 2 minutes after giving it some WD.

Thanks for the idea.