3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

body kit installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 07:25 PM

body kit installation

i bought a stillen body kit....how much does it cost to have it installed and painted???? Anyone have a rough idea??? Thankyou
Old 04-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by 3rdgene
i bought a stillen body kit....how much does it cost to have it installed and painted???? Anyone have a rough idea??? Thankyou

installation is easy...painting will run you $500-$1000 depending on shop and your location (for quality shops). I spent probalby $150 when you add up all the material I had (I had the black paint and clear from another project) but had to get adhesive promoter etc. I recommend the PPG OneChoice system. Thats what I used and it worked great...well so far...I havent flexed the kit yet by hitting anything.

if you are interested in installing it yourself let me know and I will put some instructions up. If not then I am not going to waste my time typing it out .

its easier to paint off the car but you may scratch it up putting it back on. I painted my front and rear bumpers plus my front and rear kit on the car but the side pieces off of the car.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:18 PM

i am doing it myself .....if u wouldnt mine the instuctions that would be nice....i would appreciate that....thankyou
Old 04-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Before you do anything test fit the pieces and get an idea of how its going to mount. I used vice grips to fasten the lip and rear piece when test fitting. if the kit is warped leave it in the sun to straighten out. Also use a heat gun to do any small adjustments...just be careful you dont over heat and melt the urethane.

first thing you do is throw away the tape that came with the kit unless they started using better tape. Go to an auto supply store and buy the good 3M tape.

Clean the kit where the tape goes with wax and grease remover and put the tape on. Clean the bumpers where the tape is going to go with wax and grease remover.

I used rivets in the corners of the fender well for the front and rear kit. I also used screws in the area where the tag goes in the rear and above the muffler tips.

for the sides I used rivets in the door way (as well as in the fender well) but if you live up north its probably not a good idea to drill extra holes in that part of the body (door jambs). You can use tape instead.

use screws in the coners behind the fog lights...rivets will pull out unless you can get to the other side and put rivet washers on.

Any place you drill holes you need to paint and then when you install the kit with the rivets (or screws) use silicone in the opening to keep moisture out.

If you use screws use stainless screws so they dont rust.

If you use rivets use aluminum (what I used) or stainless steel rivets.

***more advanced install***

I hate how the front corner above the fogs always pull out on so many installs I have seen so what I did was drill a hole in the very corner and then took a much larger drill bit and made it counter sunk so I can fill it in after putting the rivet in. Now if you do this you have to take the bumper off so you can put a rivet washer on the other side of the bumper. Its a pain but it worked out well and I dont think I will have a problem with the kit pulling away in this area.