3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Replacing Rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 04:58 AM

I am replacing my front rotors. I was wondering if I MUST replace the pads also. I bought Axxis pads about 2 months ago and they have a LOT of pad left on them. I'd hate to have to throw them away considering they are so new. I also wanted to know if there is anything else I need to use as far as lubricants or anything. I will be doing the whole job myself.

Also, I plan on Painting my calipers. Is there a decent silver hi-temp paint that I can use that is not too much $$? Im doing a 2-tone black silver effect on the calipers. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2001, 06:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Keep your pads . . .

Your new rotors should be fine with the slightly used pads. As a matter of fact, even heavily used pads are ok, unless they are down to the rivets.

I found out from experience that your new rotors will need to be turned (lathed) before you install them. I assumed that new ones would be true, but you know what happens when you assume . . . .
Old 05-08-2001, 06:43 AM
STFU n00b!

you should NEVER need to turn new rotors. whoever sold you those sold you a poor product.

that being said, if you don't break them in properly, you can ruin them the very first time you drive the car.

when installing new rotors, you SHOULD use old pads- the 2 month old Axxis pads in this case are great.

once you install the rotors, make several LIGHT stops from 30 to 10mph. about 6 or 7 of these is sufficient. now go home and park the car to let the brakes cool down. After that, drive easily on the car for the first 4-500 miles or so. no panic stops or anything. Of course, if you get in a situation that's not possible, there's nothing you can do. Just avoid tailgating people in heavy traffic and hard driving and you should be okay.

as for the paint, and high-temp engine paint should work fine. clean the calipers extremely well with a wire brush and brake cleaner- you'll probably use 2 or 3 cans for both front calipers. the cleaner, the better.
don't use primer on the calipers. if you do, it'll flake off and cause the new paint on top to flake off. high temp paint is usually designed for use without primer.
When you actually do paint the calipers, paint it in several (6-10) very light coats, giving 5-10 minutes in between each to dry. this will give you the best finish and toughest. if you spray a couple thick coats, it tends to flake off easier.
hope that helps. have fun working on the car!
Old 05-08-2001, 06:50 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Matt....

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
you should NEVER need to turn new rotors. whoever sold you those sold you a poor product.

that being said, if you don't break them in properly, you can ruin them the very first time you drive the car.

when installing new rotors, you SHOULD use old pads- the 2 month old Axxis pads in this case are great.

once you install the rotors, make several LIGHT stops from 30 to 10mph. about 6 or 7 of these is sufficient. now go home and park the car to let the brakes cool down. After that, drive easily on the car for the first 4-500 miles or so. no panic stops or anything. Of course, if you get in a situation that's not possible, there's nothing you can do. Just avoid tailgating people in heavy traffic and hard driving and you should be okay.

as for the paint, and high-temp engine paint should work fine. clean the calipers extremely well with a wire brush and brake cleaner- you'll probably use 2 or 3 cans for both front calipers. the cleaner, the better.
don't use primer on the calipers. if you do, it'll flake off and cause the new paint on top to flake off. high temp paint is usually designed for use without primer.
When you actually do paint the calipers, paint it in several (6-10) very light coats, giving 5-10 minutes in between each to dry. this will give you the best finish and toughest. if you spray a couple thick coats, it tends to flake off easier.
hope that helps. have fun working on the car!
FYI:

I'll try to work on that 'sticky' brake post today.....
Old 05-08-2001, 07:31 AM
STFU n00b!

thanks bill.
if the search function worked, I would have done it yesterday.. including jeff's VTC bible, window regulators, bmw lights, etc etc etc.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:15 AM

Matt, I rarely disagree with you but I will on your one point about turning new rotors. I have replaced several dozen sets of rotors - cheap stuff and performance parts. I always check them before I install them. It's not that expensive and it's worth making sure they are "right" before installing them and that the runout is acceptable.

Personal choice - but I have had to return / turn sets before and find it's a pain to do a brake job twice - easier to just run them on the machine when everything's apart.

Just my humble opinion... Take it as that...