3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Free time coming up, fixing a few things, and need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Free time coming up, fixing a few things, and need your help!!!

Well, since I will not have work this weekend, I will have ample time to fix a few things that are wrong in my car, some caused by me, some by the last owner or whoever...

1. When I did the led swap for the dash buttons, I forgot to put in a resistor for the cruise control unit, as a result, I heard the LED popped, but that's not the main problem. The main problem is that afterward, my dimming button won't work, so my guess is that I blew something somewhere. (sorry for the bold) COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE THE DIMMING CONTROL IS AT?

2. My cruise control haven't worked ever since I acquired the car, I tried to swap the dash switch, which doesn't work, and I even took apart the cruise control system under the hood, and check the motor, and it worked fine. The million dollar question is, Where is the logic board that I remembered reading somehwhere that controls the cruise control system? I need to get to that board to check to see if anything is burnt.

3. I know that the outer tie rod isn't that big of a deal to replace, howerver, can someone chime in on the inner tie rod, is it much more difficult, or only moderate.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:18 PM

If you are a 5-speed, check out the cruise control switch/button right under your clutch pedal. It's most likely slightly pressed down and needs to be re-adjusted so it's not in contact with the clutch pedal when not engaged.

Inner tie-rod..I don't believe it's much harder than doing the outer tierod, but don't quote me. Check out the repair manual on autozone's website for instructions.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:24 AM

buttons checked, still nothing, any other suggestions? Thanks by the way Iophix
Old 06-02-2005, 01:52 PM

does anyone have an idea, please chime in.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:31 PM

did you check out the switch under the brake pedal, as well? That was the problem with my old car.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by disgruntled
does anyone have an idea, please chime in.
Dumb suggestion, 'cause I'm sure you've checked this; is the fuse (and the wires that lead to it) good? Also I think (but am too lazy to go out in the rain and check) that there is a relay under the hood as well.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:30 PM

there's no dumb suggestion, and to clear things up for you guys:

I have quadruple checked the cancel switches under the clutch, brakes, and even the gas.

I have also replaced the relay responsible for driving the cruise control under the hood.

I have pulled my cruise control apart, checked the internal relay, and I have given the pump motor power as well, and it is working.

note: when I push the cruise control switch to the ON positions, the light will turn green, but the light in the speedometer will not light up, and the ON light will remain lit as long as I hold the button in the on position.

Please, I've disassembled my dash, pulled out virtually every fuse, tapped and banged every switch, and still to no avail... I remember that someone posted about resoldering the logic board controlling the cruise control, please, someone, anyone, tell me where this "logic board" is located at?

Also, any help on the dimmer would also be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
I miss my VE

i have the same problem as you, except i have auto. good luck on finding the problem. thanks for the thread
Old 06-02-2005, 08:57 PM

Could it be the switches on the steering wheel are faulty? That is what activates the cruise control and the green dash light.