3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

good god

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 05:36 PM

good god

so i was allready planning on putting a new engine in my car because im down a cylinder, so anywho i was backing up the other day and my car just stopped like i had hit another car, and then it woudlnt move sor shift or anything, i managed to get it to a space but it was grnding and bucking and barley moving, i think my clutch just blew up....so now im lookin at a new engine, water pump and clutch i think, and i found a small crack in my wndshield and a nail in my tire as i was waiting for triple a/. So anyways what are some good prices for full clutch jobs ive been hearing 5-800, sound right?? My poor maxima. OH and the reason i just dont get a new one is because i love the car and its the ve and i figure if i put all this into it then hopefully it will last me a long time.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Im izz sexay

did you check your fuel injectors? That may be a reason why you're running on 5 cylinders.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:13 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

just remember youll never get back that money you put in. over 7500 bucks went in mine and she sold for 2300.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:43 PM

oh its been checked out, i have no compression in that chamber and the cylinder is gone, but i don't plan on ever selling the car, the engine is a grand with shipping and my friends and i are putting that in, as far as the clutch thats normal for a car with 130 k miles on it, so im gonna go ahead and do this and run the car into the ground, my estimate for all the work is only about 1500-2000 engine and clutch, so thats not really that bad
Old 06-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Way out West

If you and your friends are putting in the engine, why would you pay a shop $500-$800 to do the clutch?

You can buy a clutch and put it in the same time as the engine for much cheaper. You will have to swap your flywheel over onto the new engine, anyway if it's an AT.

An OEM clutch by itself is between $100-$200.

exedy oem on ebay

For $800 you can buy a Fidanza flywheel and an ACT clutch and have money left over.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Im izz sexay

What can be the cause of your cylinder issue. The only things that come to mind are pistons, crankshaft (can't be the issue), fuel injector, coil pack, and broken valves.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:35 PM

found another VE? i thought those are rare... and second hand engines are like boxes of chocolate, u never know what u're gonna get.

y not just a rebuild of the engine? it'll be like new.. and change the clutch while the engine is out...
Old 06-06-2005, 10:59 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Maxzilla91
found another VE? i thought those are rare... and second hand engines are like boxes of chocolate, u never know what u're gonna get.

y not just a rebuild of the engine? it'll be like new.. and change the clutch while the engine is out...
I hear the JDM engines are quite reliable.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:37 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
that depends on how it was maintained in the first place.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:50 AM

i hear you can make a lot of money by helping some south african by giving him your checking account number and routing number to transer money.......

just because you hear something doesnt mean its true. i mean its not like a JDM engine was put together better than a usdm, its just that they usually have much less miles. but jdm is in style.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:16 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
i hear you can make a lot of money by helping some south african by giving him your checking account number and routing number to transer money.......

just because you hear something doesnt mean its true. i mean its not like a JDM engine was put together better than a usdm, its just that they usually have much less miles. but jdm is in style.
JDM is the cool thing to do now.

Do you get those E-mails too from the South Africans?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Yes, "low miles" does not mean maintained. My JDM had to be completely rebuilt. Supposed to have under 30K miles. Had to replace valves, water pump, piston rings, and have engine bored becuase cylinder walls were out of round. I of course did a lot more to this engine, but this gives you a basic idea of things I should NOT of had to do.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Way out West

JDM is the cool thing to do now.

Do you get those E-mails too from the South Africans?
The odds of getting a JDM engine with low miles is far greater than getting a USDM engine with low miles. They are the same engine, just in Japan, they tend to go the recycler sooner than most of the ones here.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:44 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
The odds of getting a JDM engine with low miles is far greater than getting a USDM engine with low miles. They are the same engine, just in Japan, they tend to go the recycler sooner than most of the ones here.
So why do I hear so many of you guys talking about having them/getting them in a few threads back?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Way out West

Because they generally have lower miles on them than a US junkyard engine?

Buying any used engine is going to be somewhat of a crapshoot. Mine did come with a 1-year, unlimited mile warranty, so if it was totally screwed up, I can take it back. I think spipedong90s came with a 6-month warranty. I don't recall if Jeff's had a warranty, but IIRC, he hasn't had any problems with his.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

5-800 Sounds about right to me.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:47 PM
I miss my VE

Because they generally have lower miles on them than a US junkyard engine?.

Yeah sorry, I was tired, and I mis-read your previose response. Thought you meant it was harder to get a JDM with low miles then a USDM. BTW, does JDM stand for Japanese Domestic Motor by any chance?

Buying any used engine is going to be somewhat of a crapshoot. Mine did come with a 1-year, unlimited mile warranty, so if it was totally screwed up, I can take it back. I think spipedong90s came with a 6-month warranty. I don't recall if Jeff's had a warranty, but IIRC, he hasn't had any problems with his.
Where would be a good place to start lookin for these JDM's? EBAY? Same goes for the 5-spd if I were to ever do a swap, right? Or junkyard better? I heard most of the JAP third gens are auto, in turn equals less abuse on their engines.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Way out West

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. It is stuff designed for their market or coming from their market, not originally intended for sale in the US.

There are some JDM engines on ebay, but the shipping will probably be more, depending on where you live. Usually, it's not a good idea to post ebay stuff, but these are fairly common and not hard to find. I searched under "Maxima engine."

The VG engines are much cheaper and easier to find. I am using my experience with a VE engine, which is what I have. There are some VGs on ebay as low as $150, but you take your chances with something like that.

This VE is in California, and it's $699, but shipping is another $235, which is almost $1k.

ebay JDM in California

I paid $900 for mine, but the shipping was free in the Puget Sound (Seattle) area.

Your best bet is to look in a phone book and start calling engine places and ask them about what they have and what their warranties are like. Then, you are probably going to have a choice between lower price and better warranty. It still is kind of a crapshoot.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:12 AM

brendan, you need to email/PM me immediately.
i've got a heck of a proposition for you.
and you're close by so shipping isnt an issue
Old 06-11-2005, 12:48 PM
I miss my VE

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. It is stuff designed for their market or coming from their market, not originally intended for sale in the US.

There are some JDM engines on ebay, but the shipping will probably be more, depending on where you live. Usually, it's not a good idea to post ebay stuff, but these are fairly common and not hard to find. I searched under "Maxima engine."

The VG engines are much cheaper and easier to find. I am using my experience with a VE engine, which is what I have. There are some VGs on ebay as low as $150, but you take your chances with something like that.

This VE is in California, and it's $699, but shipping is another $235, which is almost $1k.

ebay JDM in California

I paid $900 for mine, but the shipping was free in the Puget Sound (Seattle) area.

Your best bet is to look in a phone book and start calling engine places and ask them about what they have and what their warranties are like. Then, you are probably going to have a choice between lower price and better warranty. It still is kind of a crapshoot.
Yeah, I see what your sayin. Appreciate the info.

So if buying used engines is kind of a crapshoot, rebuild is the next step to take, right? I mean as far as promised reliability & value is concerned.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Get Off My Lawn

DO NOT use Midwest Engines. Mine came with a warrenty too, they "decided" not to uphold it. They said that sending me a new aftermarket water pump "resolved" the matter. They are a dishonest company. Stay Away!