3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

If you are scared your heater core will die and leave you stranded, please read -->

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:37 PM
NWP Engineering.com

If you are scared your heater core will die and leave you stranded, please read -->

This past weekend, I was out of town when my heater core died. When a heater core dies, it will crack and leak hot coolant in the interior of your car. It will run through the vent tubes and eventually drip on your right foot and on top of your very sensitive ECU (something you NEED to drive). When this happened to me, I needed a ghetto repair so that I could get back into town. I found a cheap fix that everybody can appreciate. What you will need to do is, first, bypass your heater core so that no more coolant flows through it and leak.

There are two heater hoses going in and out of your heater core on your firewall. Remove the smaller top hose that goes into the top heater core fitting. Next, remove the heater core side of the longer/bottom hose and simply connect it to the solenoid valve thingy on the firewall. That's it!!! It was that easy! I didn't have to buy any parts and the hose easily bypassed the heater core without kinking at all!

Take that smaller, top hose that you just removed from the heater core. Connect it back up to the top heater core fitting and blow on it as hard as you can until all of the coolant blows out on the ground from the bottom heater core fitting.

After doing this 15 minutes job, I didn't have a single drop of coolant drip onto my ECU. Just in case, I lined it with paper towels and kept an eye on it my entire drive home. Not a single drop.

I got this idea from Matt93SE who wasn't completely sure it would work without kinking the hose. But, it worked great on my car. Of course, your hoses need to be in decent condition and not brittle.

Here is a drawing I made to help you understand this. I also posted this on my website with more information. Feel free to check it out.

http://www.littlebabywebs.com/maxima

I hope this knowledge helps someone in the future when their heater core suddenly goes out. If it hasn't, then it WILL. So be prepared with a #2 phillips and a flathead screwdriver. I ALWAYS carry a nice tool kit in my Maxima. And don't let your ECU get wet or you will really be screwed.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:41 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Great info...I will save it on my computer.....
Old 08-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Way out West

Great info.

Sucks for you to have to change out the heater core.

On the bright side for you, I guess while you have the entire dash apart, you can find more ways to lighten the car
Old 08-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My heater core went out, and I unhooked it and used a socket to bypass it. I need to get another core, cause i find that i need that socket at times.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Great info.

Sucks for you to have to change out the heater core.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:22 AM
Moved on to BMW's :(

I had to do this once on my 1978 Datsun 810 Wagon (Straight 6, fuel injection, rear wheel drive)... my FIRST Maxima! The heater core was OK but I had burst a coolant line and had to invoke the Ghetto Clause of the Rules of Repair and bypass the heater core.

It worked so well I drove all summer and into the Fall with it like that, but quickly remembered my "ingenuity" one very cold Maine fall night with the family in the car and NO HEAT! I can deal with a little cold, but the incessant whining emanating from the (now ex-) wife was intolerable.

Later had to upgrade and trade Wife 1.0 for Girlfriend 2.3. That solved the problem.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:16 AM

i did this to my car back in '00 but my heater core didn't go out but in fact everytime i would turn on the A/C it would only blow out hot air so i just ended up bypassing my heater hoses and now i get cold A/C. weird but true.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Yourself

doesnt moving your climate control to "full cold"close the heater valve? yes-no?

Old 08-17-2005, 12:22 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
On the bright side for you, I guess while you have the entire dash apart, you can find more ways to lighten the car
Oh yeah! No reason to laugh! I knew this day would come and as soon as it would, then I would remove even more weight from my car when I have my dash ripped apart. I just didn't expect it to come so soon.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:30 PM

I used to have that problem and buy a connector for the hoses... Well my ECU got wet, so my car its no burning the gas well, and shut off if i hit the gas on Parking....So is the ECU, or it could be something else?...

Sorry for the grammar....i cant speak english very well

Hope you can help me Guys... Ty
Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MaxGuS
I used to have that problem and buy a connector for the hoses... Well my ECU got wet, so my car its no burning the gas well, and shut off if i hit the gas on Parking....So is the ECU, or it could be something else?...

Sorry for the grammar....i cant speak english very well

Hope you can help me Guys... Ty
If your ECU got wet, then I am assuming it shorted out? In other words, I am thinking that it is broken. If so, then you need to buy a used ECU and see if that fixes your problem.

It's hard to understand what you are trying to say since your English is so bad. But it seems that your ECU shorted out and you need a new one. If you are able to give more details about your situation, then I might be able to help you further.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:28 PM

the ECU got wet, and the car starts to fail and to shake much in low revs, if I accelerate is made up, but at the time of letting accelerate the problem returns, check engine is on, and if I accelerate with the transmission in Parking (P) the car shut off... Hope you can help, this time i use the babelfish translator
Old 08-18-2005, 01:45 PM

I take it to the scanner, and they cant pull put any codes...just a bip,lol... so They say that my ECU was not working, and cant explain why my car is running...the guy told me, its a miracle ...
Old 08-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Moved on to BMW's :(

Try to purchase a used ECU and that might fix the problem. They are not expensive here in the USA. Hopefully they are not expensive in Japan.

/used plain grammar and no slang for the translator
Old 08-18-2005, 04:33 PM

Lol, ill use my grammar ok... Im not in Japan, Im in Mexico, JA its the state where i live (jalisco)...well anyways, i already ask for a used ECU, but those cars are not very common here, ill have to wait a few days, i hope that solve my problem cuz i really love my max... the price over here can go from $80-$250 dlls....
Old 08-18-2005, 09:07 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Lol, ill use my grammar ok... Im not in Japan, Im in Mexico, JA its the state where i live (jalisco)...well anyways, i already ask for a used ECU, but those cars are not very common here, ill have to wait a few days, i hope that solve my problem cuz i really love my max... the price over here can go from $80-$250 dlls....
The price for a used ECU here is $40-80. You can check out www.car-part.com. Some of the salvage yards might be able to ship internationally. Just be careful because you will be dealing with regular salvage yards and not reputable businesses.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:49 PM

Damm thats cheap...well ill check out that link...

Thanks a lot!!

I whis that i can post more, but probably nobody will understand what im saying...lol
Old 08-20-2005, 09:11 PM

Well. i already install the new ECU, the car runs better but not enough, and the check engine light its still on, i pull the codes using the info on this page...results

35 Exhaust Gas temperature sensor
51 Fuel injector circuit open

What can i do to repair them?? Mainly the 51, cuz i think thats the major problem..
And both errors say (california models only) so i guess i have a california model? how could i know that??
Pleas help guys...
Old 08-20-2005, 09:25 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Well. i already install the new ECU, the car runs better but not enough, and the check engine light its still on, i pull the codes using the info on this page...results

35 Exhaust Gas temperature sensor
51 Fuel injector circuit open

What can i do to repair them?? Mainly the 51, cuz i think thats the major problem..
And both errors say (california models only) so i guess i have a california model? how could i know that??
Pleas help guys...
First off, the exhaust gas temp sensor only came on California models. The only reason they call it a California model is because that USA state has stricter emission laws. Either your car came from California or your area has strict emission laws.

Yes, the #51 is the major problem here. I would just test your injectors. It's very likely one of them has failed. You can test the resistance of each injector by touching the two terminals on the injector while it's unplugged. If it's between 10-14 ohms, then it should be ok. But if it's outside that range, replace the injector. Also, the injector might be ok and you could just have a bad connection somewhere or corroded terminals on the harness. Also, it could be a leaking injector due to one of the orings going bad.

If you want to learn how to fix everything on your car, then I would get a Factory Service Manual for your Maxima. If you don't want to fix your car yourself, then take it to a shop and let them deal with it. Or you can start here:

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...3d801f5140.jsp

If this link doesn't work, then make sure you search for 1994 Maxima and you will find some information for your car.

*Edit: Oh yeah, also, it's possible that you bought the wrong ECU for your car. It's possible that you don't have a California Maxima, but bought a California car. If that is the case, then you WILL get the Exhaust Temp Sensor code!! I have that code now b/c I am running a California ECU on my Fed spec Maxima. That is just temporary anyway. I wouldn't worry about the Exhaust code you got. But I WOULD worry about the injector code.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:30 PM

Thanks...Off course i wanna learn how to repair my max... btw, i pull the codes using that page, then i guess i can fin there where the injectors are or how to check them...stuff like that, im still learning, so i dont know where they are located...
Anyways thanks a lot... ill try to post more if my english get better ... lol
Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks...Off course i wanna learn how to repair my max... btw, i pull the codes using that page, then i guess i can fin there where the injectors are or how to check them...stuff like that, im still learning, so i dont know where they are located...
Anyways thanks a lot... ill try to post more if my english get better ... lol
If you really want to learn how to fix your own car and that website doesn't answer your questions, then you will NEED a Factory Service Manual. You can get them for about $50 on ebay.com. Don't waste your money on a Chilton's or Hayne's manual.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:37 PM

Ok im already downloading that....thanks...btw i try to found out where are the injectors, but in autozone page, componen locations, Inejctor-Fuel, when i click that,the page send me to the shopping section...wtf..
Old 08-21-2005, 08:13 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Ok im already downloading that....thanks...btw i try to found out where are the injectors, but in autozone page, componen locations, Inejctor-Fuel, when i click that,the page send me to the shopping section...wtf..
You'll find them. With all the information I've hand fed you, I'm sure you can make do.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:13 AM

Well right now im translating the FSM... Another question, the new ECU says GG instead of GB...could this make some trouble?? Like the lack of power until certain rpm... i have custom Exhaust ( no cats) and i hear something like if wasnt enough gas to fill up the pipe, i mean mm like cough cough lol... and before that my car run out of gas because...im starting to doubt about the new ecu, the car feels diferent but not good...

Sorry about all the question and my bad bad bad english
Old 08-21-2005, 10:14 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Another question, the new ECU says GG instead of GB...could this make some trouble??
I doubt it, other than the fact that you might have gotten a California spec ECU. Which is not the reason you would suffer extreme power loss.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:42 AM

i c...well ill check out the injectors and post whit news tomorrow....thanks
Old 08-22-2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Oh yeah! No reason to laugh! I knew this day would come and as soon as it would, then I would remove even more weight from my car when I have my dash ripped apart. I just didn't expect it to come so soon.
I dare you to remove the round bar that goes from one side of the car to the other
Old 08-22-2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by aw89maxSE
what are you ing at

you just bought the parts

Old 08-22-2005, 03:10 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MrGone
I dare you to remove the round bar that goes from one side of the car to the other
Which bar are you talking about? I've never ripped into my dash, so I don't really know what I'll find that I can remove safely.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

It's the big bar that goes all the way across the dash. All the dash parts and console parts bolt to it. So there's really no way to eliminate it. Plus it serves as a chassis brace.

So don't mind gone's mindless post count whoring

Which bar are you talking about? I've never ripped into my dash, so I don't really know what I'll find that I can remove safely.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:17 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
It's the big bar that goes all the way across the dash. All the dash parts and console parts bolt to it. So there's really no way to eliminate it. Plus it serves as a chassis brace.

So don't mind gone's mindless post count whoring
Gracias!
Old 08-23-2005, 02:12 PM

Gracias!
News...it was the injector... im just waiting to get the new one, btw, the shop here i bought the ECU, its going to do the install for free

Mmmm just another question, im looking for a FS ( kinda hard over here)
Could you give me the torque specs for the bolts...

aa do u speak spanish?? or at least understand spanish?? Lol will be much easier for me
Old 08-23-2005, 02:41 PM
NWP Engineering.com

News...it was the injector... im just waiting to get the new one, btw, the shop here i bought the ECU, its going to do the install for free

Mmmm just another question, im looking for a FS ( kinda hard over here)
Could you give me the torque specs for the bolts...

aa do u speak spanish?? or at least understand spanish?? Lol will be much easier for me
I can't. My FSM is packed and I can't get it out right now. I'm a little busy. No I don't hablo espanol. Very little spanish.

MrGone, why did you edit my post earlier? I simply posted a website that has FSM downloads. It's not my problem if it's copyrighted. I just linked a good website. www. is a great website!
Old 08-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Ok, so your spanish is like my english..lol...anyways thanks for all the help... i hope u can give me the specs when u have time...
Old 08-23-2005, 03:02 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Ok, so your spanish is like my english..lol...anyways thanks for all the help... i hope u can give me the specs when u have time...
Me estoy trasladando a otra casa. Se embala mi manual de reparaciones y no puedo tenerle acceso. Estoy muy apesadumbrado.

If you don't know what I said, I used http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr to translate for me. I am moving and I can't get to the book. I am sorry.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:44 PM

MrGone, why did you edit my post earlier? I simply posted a website that has FSM downloads. It's not my problem if it's copyrighted. I just linked a good website. www. is a great website!
It might not be YOUR problem, but it certainly is ours.

I do not ask twice. This forum does not endorse the distribution of copyrighted materials.

Nissan has provided the public with the following website where you can get any service information you need:
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/

and your local Nissan Dealership should be able to order you a hard copy of the aforementioned materials if they do not have it instock.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:02 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MrGone
It might not be YOUR problem, but it certainly is ours.

I do not ask twice. This forum does not endorse the distribution of copyrighted materials.

Nissan has provided the public with the following website where you can get any service information you need:
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/

and your local Nissan Dealership should be able to order you a hard copy of the aforementioned materials if they do not have it instock.
is it that time of the month again?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:46 PM

Me estoy trasladando a otra casa. Se embala mi manual de reparaciones y no puedo tenerle acceso. Estoy muy apesadumbrado.

If you don't know what I said, I used http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr to translate for me. I am moving and I can't get to the book. I am sorry.

Yes,i got it... i can understan almost everything that you say...just cant write too good...
Old 08-23-2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
is it that time of the month again?

Hi, just a question...do you ship to Mexico??