3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sputtering problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 10:13 AM

Hey guys....Unfortunately I do not own a Maxima. BUT--my Boss at work has got a 90 V6 Maxima (auto) and has had a sputtering problem for a little while with it. I thought I'd do him a favor and check with the pro's on some Tech Boards and see what you guys think.

The car sputters, during initial start up, to the point of dying. But...after about a minute of chugging ad chugging it will regain a stable idle and drive perfectly fine. I am thinking it's an O2 sensor, but since I know nothing about Maximas I need to know how many O2 sensors the 3rd Gen's have?

I can't see this problem being anything other than spark or fuel. Maybe plugs? The really puzzling thing is that there are no check engine lights.

Got any ideas? Thanks guys.

Micah

P.S. The car has 140K miles on the stock longblock.

Old 10-11-2000, 10:31 AM
STFU n00b!

The sputtering is common in this engine. What I'd suggest is that he turn the key to the "on" position and wait a few seconds before actually starting the car. this will let the fuel pump "prime" the lines, and it should help it start quicker.

I've never had the car sputter and bog that long- mine is usually about 10-15 seconds. usually if I just let the car idle for about 15-20 seconds before putting it in gear, it's fine. if I stick it in gear as soon as I start, it will die while I'm backing out of my driveway (downhill)..

Another common thing is that the plug wires develop tiny cracks and someone said they opened the hood in the dark and could actually see the ignition spark arcing from the wires to the block when the engine "stumbled". He replaced his plug wires and said it's been fine ever since.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-11-2000, 10:37 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Micahdogg
Hey guys....Unfortunately I do not own a Maxima. BUT--my Boss at work has got a 90 V6 Maxima (auto) and has had a sputtering problem for a little while with it. I thought I'd do him a favor and check with the pro's on some Tech Boards and see what you guys think.

The car sputters, during initial start up, to the point of dying. But...after about a minute of chugging ad chugging it will regain a stable idle and drive perfectly fine. I am thinking it's an O2 sensor, but since I know nothing about Maximas I need to know how many O2 sensors the 3rd Gen's have?

I can't see this problem being anything other than spark or fuel. Maybe plugs? The really puzzling thing is that there are no check engine lights.

Got any ideas? Thanks guys.

Micah

P.S. The car has 140K miles on the stock longblock.

also keep in mind the O2 sensor does not come into play until the exhaust is hot enough.
i would recommend a full tune up w/ Nissan original parts. replace the rotor and cap..also check the spark plug wires.
Dan
Old 10-11-2000, 10:42 AM
Greyboy

I have a 93 GXE with the VG

Does this car have a rotor and distributor cap? I always thought it had electronic ignition! Hmmmmmm...

Old 10-11-2000, 12:41 PM

My wife's 88 Max (same engine) was doing the same thing. I changed the plugs, cap and rotor and all the problems went away.
Old 10-11-2000, 12:48 PM

If you want to change the O2 sensor then the car has one. It is located right before the cat under the car. They are pretty easy to change as long as you get another O2 sensor with the pug in harness. The cheaper one's that you splice I would not recommend. This may not be your problem but you could check to see if it needs replacement anyway. Ussually if it is the problem you will sputter while driving noe just when the car first starts.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.