3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Hella Supertones installed - See how

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hella Supertones installed - See how

I just got a set of Hella supertones, so I decided to do a write-up for all the squeamish 3rd genners out there. They were so easy to install that it's not even funny.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage caused by these instructions, or for anyone to grow a 3rd eye or nostril, or any other unusual occurrence.

EDIT: If you can't see the pictures, you can go to the photo album here

The horns themselves(used, so kinda dirty):
Front

Back

Notice that both brackets are pointing in the same direction. You will need to loosen the bolt holding the bracket on one of the horns and rotate it 180 degrees so that both horns can be mounted opposite to each other.

Also, in the second picture you will see the ground wires attached. I'm not sure if the kit directly from Hella comes with the grounding wires, since the used set I bought included them, but if it doesn't, you will need to make your own. All you need for each horn is about 8" of 16 gauge wire, a female spade connector attached to one side of the wire, and an open-ended U-shaped connector(I'm not sure what it's really called) attached to the other.

Tools needed:
Flathead screwdriver
12mm ratcheting wrench with extension
Open-ended 13mm wrench(if you need to alter the position of the bracket on any one of the horns)

Note: Left means right side of the car, and vice versa.

First of all, you will need to remove the grille. To do this, you need to remove the 5 clips that hold it. Insert the screwdriver into the groove on the clips, twist the screwdriver 45 degrees, and pull slightly on the edge of the side of the grille you are working on. You can also try pinching the clips from the backside of the grill with a set of needle-nose pliers, thereby eliminating the need to reattach the clips to the grille.

Here are some pics showing the location of the clips(circled in red):

Center:

Right:

Left:
Old 08-17-2005, 11:46 PM

Remove the bolts holding the two horns using the ratchet+extension+12mm socket.

Circled in red are the bolts to be removed:

Closeup picture of both bolts:

Now connect the ground wire to the left connector on each of the horns(with the terminals pointing downwards). Install the horn on the right side first, since it is easier. Insert the other end of the ground wire between the horn bracket and bolt before tightening the bolt. You are now done with one side.
This is what it should look like:
Old 08-17-2005, 11:47 PM

The left side is trickier, since the airbag sensor bracket is in the way, which makes removing the old horn difficult, as well as inserting and placing the Hella one even more so. Remove the bolt and take the stock horn out however it comes out without force. If the brackets on both horns are pointed in the same direction, you will probably need to rotate the left one. Here is where you will need the 13mm wrench. Slide the wrench on the bolt at a 15 degree angle to the left from the bracket and pull on the wrench while pushing on the bracket with the same hand. Rotate 180 degrees and retighten.

Insert horn under airbag sensor bracket in whatever way you can slide it in, and insert bolt through ground wire coming from horn, existing ground wire(the one with the closed terminal in last picture in the above post) and horn bracket. At this point, it will seem like there is not enough space for the horn due to the airbag sensor bracket, but tighten the bolt and the horn will sort of find its place. Here's how it will sit:

From a distance(doesn't really matter, but I just took this pic anyway):

Reattach any clips not on the grille back on and replace the grille.

Now go and blast all those idiot drivers!

By now you're probably wondering about why I bothered to write all this for something so simple. I guess I didn't have anything better to do.

If I missed something, feel free to add on.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:10 AM

never hurts to have another good how-to
could there be a way to wire it so you have a toggle on the horns, loud or normal? i wouldnt want mine loud all the time... def. want them loud on the highway though
Old 08-18-2005, 04:52 AM

I'm think a Y type switch, and common ground will engable you to select between horns(stock and upgrade), or you can always wire a switch to disable one horn.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
never hurts to have another good how-to
could there be a way to wire it so you have a toggle on the horns, loud or normal? i wouldnt want mine loud all the time... def. want them loud on the highway though
The kit comes with a relay, so if you want to keep your existing horns, you need to wire the new horns to the relay. I guess the horn button wire could be split and wired to a toggle switch, with one wire going to the trigger terminal on the stock relay and the other to the Hella relay.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:22 AM

how loud are these? is there a way to have these and stock horns at the same time?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:44 AM

i cant see the pictures...
Old 08-18-2005, 10:09 PM

where did you get these? a junk yard? What are they from?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:34 PM

I got them from a member of NWMaxima.com. There is a deal going on for new ones in the Group Deals section in this thread.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:40 AM

Ha-ha! Install "train sounds" next

I have Hella horns installed 2 (but that was just a re-placement for a bad high-tone). And yes, it's way 2 easy - took me about 10-15 minutes to replace both horns. Just make sure that horns you buy are low profile (as pictured in this thread)
Old 08-19-2005, 08:18 AM

i wanna hear them.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:57 AM

Click to hear what they sound like. Credit to Polo for the video clip.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:04 PM

Compared to our stocks, They are DAMN loud!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 07:14 PM

i am currently putting in a set of hella horns myself. taking my sweet time, but all i have to do is paint everything black so the red doesn't show. i have the following comments.

in post # 1 & 2, you need a 12 mm wrench to take the original horns off. interesting note is that the nut on the hella horn needs a 13mm wrench but the thread that the nut is on is the same 8mm 1.25 thread as the bolts holding the original nissan horn which use a 12 mm wrench.

the ground wires do not come with the hella horns. you have to make your own if you buy new ones. it is a must to use a ground wire on each horn.

a pair of hella horns are between 112 and 113 db, depending on the tones you get. the tone is stamped on the horn body. hella makes 300, 380, 400 and 500 hertz horns. my pair is 300 and 500 hertz which is supposed to be the most melodious. the most irratating pair are the 300 and 380 hertz.

i was curious about the price the other group was getting, but the link is no longer valid. i bought mine throught susquehanna motor sports in pennsylvania. i paid something like $72 for the pair + shipping.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
in post # 1 & 2, you need a 12 mm wrench to take the original horns off. interesting note is that the nut on the hella horn needs a 13mm wrench but the thread that the nut is on is the same 8mm 1.25 thread as the bolts holding the original nissan horn which use a 12 mm wrench.
Thanks for the correction on the size of the bolts. I started wondering when I saw the 12mm socket attached to the ratchet among the tools I used. I have corrected both posts.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:08 PM

just dont turn into Sarin and honk at everyone at meets