3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Putting a VG into a VE...a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:23 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

Putting a VG into a VE...a few questions

Hello guys,
I came to realize that I am a more of a VG person then a VE. I recently got a VE that drives great and all but it seem like it's loosing power as soon as it warms up and it's simply irritating plus when I opened the broken VE(keep reading) I realized how complicated this engine really is(three chains ). On the other hand, I also have a perfect VG and another VE that is locked(for some weird reason it simply stoped working-no overheating or anything). The 89 SE has a terrible body but the broken 92 VE is showroom condition so I am planning on taking the VG motor out of the rusty one and putting it into the nice body VE. I am planning on keeping the tranny in the VE so pretty much the engine is the only thing that I'll be swapping. When I think about it, i realize that I'll have to replace the wiring(ecu included) but is this all? I have a feeling that I am missing something here so if anybody can share some thoughts it will be great.

P.S.

Some people will tell me that I am crazy but for some odd reason when I get into the 89 SE after driving the 93 SE, I have this stupid smile in my face and simply don't want to get out of there. I have a K&N cone in it and the sound this engine makes is simply overwelming-it alsmost sounds like a v8 and the power is right there instantly. True, it fades away with the rpms but being a european and being used to diesel vehicles I simply don't mind . I can honestly say that I am a VG person now forever(or until I get into the 3.5L at least )
Old 08-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Willing to learn

If the car is as nice as you claim, then it deserves a JDM VE engine swap.

Don't downgrade the car. Everyone knows how sweet the VE engine is when it is right. Do what it takes. Sell some of the other stuff to compensate for the new engine. You will thank yourself later.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

Um, not sure why anyone would actually go to the trouble to swap a 190hp engine with a 160-ish version. Sell VE car, buy a VG body with trashed engine. Do swap. Be happy going slower.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:40 AM
I miss my VE

Wow, this would be a one of those "one of a kind threads", I presume?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Willing to learn

You mean where someone comes to a "performance type" forum and asks how to lose horsepower?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:49 AM

Trade the whole Vg car for a VE engine
Old 08-22-2005, 09:26 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

I knew this was gonna happen The problem is that right now I simply don't have the money for a new jdm engine. What I have instead is a rust bucket with a perfect engine that nobody wants to buy and a ve with a broken engine that looks awsome. I love the way the VG works and delivers it's power plus the 32 mpg I get on the highway with it doing 80mph. I love the VG and this is the one going into my nice body car. One thing I remembered to ask you guys-are the tranny ratios the same? With the 89 SE I am doing 84mph at 3000 rpms and the with the 93 VE I am at only 77mph at the same engine speed. It doesn't really matter but....Any input on the project folks?Any helpful hints?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm needing a caw

Good luck??? I mean it's just too big of a hassle with the wiring harness. I supposed you could swap the whole harness over..

Originally Posted by maximapitko
Any input on the project folks?Any helpful hints?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Willing to learn

If you are really serious about going ahead with this, you probably aren't going to feel the love from the members here. Just too many steps involved, many of them backwards. Since this will take way longer than swapping the same type engine, why not take some of that time and save the cash necessary for the new engine. Drive the good running ugly beast in the meantime. Patience.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:15 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

The way I see it all I have to do is change wiring(easy since both cars have stripped interiors), engine mounts and engine itself. What about the exhaust system. Are things going to fit there or I'll have to swap the whole exhaust system?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Way out West

I think Jeff is right with his first post. Just sell the car and use the money to buy a VG. The VE should sell for more and you will have money left over.

Otherwise, just put in a new knock sensor and be done with it. That is likely the cause of your power loss.

Swapping about 10 miles of wire, along with an engine, ECU and whatever else doesn't match up, is going to be a major PITA.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:52 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

um im sorry i kno that this isint gonna help but you said that " With the 89 SE I am doing 84mph at 3000 rpms and the with the 93 VE I am at only 77mph at the same engine speed." um.. is there sometin wrong because i have a second gen, and at 3000 rpm's im doing at least 90 mph interesting. by the way if the vg drives good and there is just body work needed i would see if the engine shop would do a straight trade the car for the engine or you could part out the car on e-bay
Old 08-22-2005, 03:37 PM
The Bulgarian Guy

I tried selling the car for 1000 obo and I didn't get even a single call. There is a friend of mine who offers $500 but I'd rather pass on this offer. Anyways, what I don't understand is that everybody talks about upgrading a VG to a JDM VE and there are many write ups all over the net describing the process. That's why I am thinking that the project will not be that hard(replacing wiring and such). I'll keep you posted with the progress.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

since no one else feels the love, i'll dish it out. i think you should do your swap. i would much rather have a more reliable vg that i can mod the hell out of, than always have to worry about my deck of cards ve falling apart
you could have a daily driver that will last longer than any ve could ever hope...

wiring harnesses would be the most difficult part of your swap. since the connectors aren't in the same places on each motor, you will have to make your own body mounting points as you go along. but if you say the interiors are pulled on each vehicle, that should make it easier. be sure and let us know how your project comes along
Old 08-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
um im sorry i kno that this isint gonna help but you said that " With the 89 SE I am doing 84mph at 3000 rpms and the with the 93 VE I am at only 77mph at the same engine speed." um.. is there sometin wrong because i have a second gen, and at 3000 rpm's im doing at least 90 mph interesting. by the way if the vg drives good and there is just body work needed i would see if the engine shop would do a straight trade the car for the engine or you could part out the car on e-bay
thats because the 2ng gen trans has a differnt final drive and taller 3rd 4th and 5th compared to the 3rd gens
Old 08-22-2005, 05:50 PM

. Anyways, what I don't understand is that everybody talks about upgrading a VG to a JDM VE and there are many write ups all over the net describing the process. That's why I am thinking that the project will not be that hard(replacing wiring and such). I'll keep you posted with the progress.

ive never heard of anyone doing the VG to VE swap because of the wiring issues your thinking of the US VE to JDM VE (only reason is for lower miles)
Old 08-22-2005, 06:33 PM
The Bulgarian Guy

what about the Y-pipe guys? Is it different?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:19 PM

what about the Y-pipe guys? Is it different?
yes the ypipes are different but the cat back is the same
Old 08-22-2005, 09:40 PM

is the VE car a manual 5spd? if so, you got a VLSD tranny sitting there. so you're going to get more power to the ground with the VG. that is cool, actually. i'd love a VE tranny.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:20 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

Yep, the VE is a 5 spd but I am not sure that it's the VLSD.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:22 AM

pretty sure all ve 5spds were vlsd like bonzelite just said
Old 08-23-2005, 07:24 AM

I tried selling the car for 1000 obo and I didn't get even a single call. There is a friend of mine who offers $500 but I'd rather pass on this offer. Anyways, what I don't understand is that everybody talks about upgrading a VG to a JDM VE and there are many write ups all over the net describing the process. That's why I am thinking that the project will not be that hard(replacing wiring and such). I'll keep you posted with the progress.

where are these writeups? i think youre mistaking the usdm ve getting swapped out for a jdm ve.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd go with the VG...if you can live with the down time to make the switch, do it and live happy. Sure, VE's have the extra ponies, but it's giving you a PITA.

Your only market to sell it will be die-hard VE fans. At this point, Maxima fans can pick up a VQ car at a price not all that much higher than a VE. People wanting a reliable sedan will do a bit of research and stay away from the VE, just to be safe. No offence folks, but even freshalloy.com calls it a "lame duck engine". Yank it from the car, clean it up and offer it for sale.

Go for it
Old 08-23-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm needing a caw

The VG in the maxima is not exactly super reliable either. Certainly not enough to take a 30hp penality. Broken crank snouts, broken t-belts, broken tension bolts, bad studs, fuel injector problems etc... You are just trading a set of problems with another.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:01 AM
mod or sell?

you also can't buy a VQ in a 3rd gen body
Old 08-23-2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Aurochs
People wanting a reliable sedan will do a bit of research and stay away from the VE, just to be safe. No offence folks, but even freshalloy.com calls it a "lame duck engine".
So if freshalloy says it, it must be true! And if you want a reliable sedan, I recommend staying away from 11 - 16 year old out of production, high mileage sedans. Go buy a late model Civic auto and call it good. But if you are looking for a car with some personality, decent performance potential, and uniqueness, by a VE 5spd. You would be surprised at how well it performs when compared to modern cars. (With the exception of turbo shitboxes)
Old 08-23-2005, 08:42 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

I just found out that the final ratios for the ttrannys are different-3.65 VG and 3.82 VE. It will be interesting to see how the VG works with shorter gearing plus I have advanced timing, CAI, warspeed muffler and no catalic converter. I raced with an auto VE with my 89 SE 5 spd and I took him easy. I can't wait to start on the project...
Old 08-23-2005, 10:08 AM

if the VE is a 5spd manual, you got the VLSD. the final drive ratios difference between a VG and VE manual tranny notwithstanding, you're going to put more power to the ground no matter what. you might as well get a Fidanza flywheel as well to get you into the powerband quickly. and change out your rack and pinion box for prevention's sake.

this is one of the most original ideas in the ongoing battle between the VG v VE warfare, in favor of the VG.

in all due respect, however, the VE is an awesome and powerful engine, and i'd have a VE 5spd maxima any day, even though it can be a temperamental biatch. i would say the VE 5spd maxima is among the more unique of the entire maxima lineage (except for the 6th gen, "unique" maybe in looks, but one of the ugliest cars i have ever layed eyes on!).
Old 08-23-2005, 10:10 AM

id have to consider the 1st gen maxima unique since it is rwd.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:13 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

Originally Posted by bonzelite
if the VE is a 5spd manual, you got the VLSD. the final drive ratios difference between a VG and VE manual tranny notwithstanding, you're going to put more power to the ground no matter what. you might as well get a Fidanza flywheel as well to get you into the powerband quickly. and change out your rack and pinion box for prevention's sake.

this is one of the most original ideas in the ongoing battle between the VG v VE warfare, in favor of the VG.

in all due respect, however, the VE is an awesome and powerful engine, and i'd have a VE 5spd maxima any day, even though it can be a temperamental biatch. i would say the VE 5spd maxima is among the more unique of the entire maxima lineage (except for the 6th gen, "unique" maybe in looks, but one of the ugliest cars i have ever layed eyes on!).
On my 93 VE 5spd I can easily put one of the tires in smoke(especialy when when I am turning). I am pretty sure that the VLSD was an option and not standard. I am pretty sure my 93 does not have it....
Old 08-23-2005, 10:15 AM

or maybe its not working
Old 08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

IMO...the VE is more reliable than the VG.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
So if freshalloy says it, it must be true! And if you want a reliable sedan, I recommend staying away from 11 - 16 year old out of production, high mileage sedans. Go buy a late model Civic auto and call it good. But if you are looking for a car with some personality, decent performance potential, and uniqueness, by a VE 5spd. You would be surprised at how well it performs when compared to modern cars. (With the exception of turbo shitboxes)
awwwwwww he's back
Old 08-23-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
IMO...the VE is more reliable than the VG.

oh and this thread needs more

Originally Posted by DanNY/Matt93SE
If you have to ask....
Old 08-23-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by mattcomet82
since no one else feels the love, i'll dish it out. i think you should do your swap. i would much rather have a more reliable vg that i can mod the hell out of, than always have to worry about my deck of cards ve falling apart
you could have a daily driver that will last longer than any ve could ever hope...
some of us have reliable VE's aswell though

The way I see it all I have to do is change wiring(easy since both cars have stripped interiors), engine mounts and engine itself. What about the exhaust system. Are things going to fit there or I'll have to swap the whole exhaust system?
You'll have to swap Y-pipes, catback is the same. Intake from the lower airbox forward is the same. Not entirely sure if the cross member is the same though, but a VG cross member will bolt to a VE Chasis. Then you just have the engine wiring harness's (although VE's electric trunk pop > VG's lever )
Old 08-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by MrGone

oh and this thread needs more

post 8888

i don't consider this to be ubber reliable...

Old 08-23-2005, 10:51 AM

we need matt or jeff to come in and lay down the word about the VLSD, then. i'm pretty sure they all had it with 5spd.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
post 8888

i don't consider this to be ubber reliable...
I consider it to be very reliable, Just like my car, if you dont move it, it can't break
Old 08-23-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm needing a caw

Even if the vlsd is in perfect working order, the % lock is only about 20-25%. Nothing great. I've done the vlsd test on my old car, I'm not sure if it was working or not. Wheels turned in the opposite direction. But you have to agitate the fluid before it starts working. So who knows?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by MrGone
I consider it to be very reliable, Just like my car, if you dont move it, it can't break
oh it's been moved

Quick Reply: Putting a VG into a VE...a few questions