3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Putting a VG into a VE...a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Please explain in technical terms why the VE is not recommended. Thanks.

Reason why the didn't use it more? Okay. Because Nissan spend a grip of cash to make this special motor for FWD duty. It also served as a test dummy for some systems coming out on the VQ30. ie.. coil on plug ign, dohc heads on a fwd car etc..... In 1995, Nissan introduced the all new and aluminum VQ30 that was going to serve the mainstay of all FWD maxima sedans. The VE30DE was a stop gap measure to compete against the Toyota Camry at the time. The lowly VG was NOT cutting it with only 160-ish hp.

Your turn...
Here's some non technical terms..... "it also served as a test dummy for some systems coming out on the VQ", "the VE30DE was a stop gap measure to compete....".

Meanwhile, the VG continued production in other vehicles and could be produced at hp levels beyond 160 even after the arrival of the VQ.

So the VQ brought an immediate end to the wonderful VE but not the lowly VG. Now I'm truly convinced that I was in err and wish I had risked it all on the VE instead. Darn.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The VQ made the same hp and 15 more ftlbs torque w/o all the gizmos. But since it had a single stage intake manifold, it falls flat on it's face over 5,000 rpm. But with simple mods, it can really sing. There are more than a few dyno'ng at 200hp/200ft/lbs at the wheels. Not fricken bad. Not too many VEs doing this.
Bored ?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by Aurochs
Here's some non technical terms..... "it also served as a test dummy for some systems coming out on the VQ", "the VE30DE was a stop gap measure to compete...."
Nice try but nope. Nissan spend alot of money for a 1992-1994 engine. Expensive to build and develope. Does NOT mean it was lame duck

Meanwhile, the VG continued production in other vehicles and could be produced at hp levels beyond 160 even after the arrival of the VQ.
Meanwhile Nissan continued to produce the cheap arsed to build VG in order to keep costs down on the other lines it chose to use the VG in. ie.. the remainder of the maxima until 1995, and the trucks. Which only need good torque, but not any real high end speed.

So the VQ brought an immediate end to the wonderful VE but not the lowly VG. Now I'm truly convinced that I was in err and wish I had risked it all on the VE instead. Darn.
The VQ was finished delelopement in 1995 and brought to production in the maxima. There's no way Nissan was going to put the expensive VE into the base line trucks it had in house. Not they also didn't put the VQ30 into the trucks/minivans. Nor did they put the VG30DE into those vehcicles. I guess the sohc VG must be the all mightly engine.

Please enjoy your 2 valver VG. I'll enjoy my VE that put down more hp at the WHEELS than yours does at the flywheel. Brings a smile to my face every day.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Way out West

This is kind of a silly argument, since all of these engines are good to 200k miles + if properly maintained. VTC ticking or not, there are tons and tons of VEs with at least 150k on them that still run strong with no reliability problems. On a VE, maybe the VTCs need to be replaced once in the car's lifetime. Well, on a VG, the timing belt has to be replaced 3-4 times during that same 200k miles. The cost is about the same.

The VG is obviously the worst of the Nissan engines for performance in any Maxima, 3rd gen on. Unless you turbo your VG, you WILL NOT have the performance of a VE or VQ. That seems pretty simple.

Go ahead and look in the 3rd gen 1/4 mile times. I don't see anyone with a n/a VG even approaching low 15s, PERIOD. Virtually everyone with a VE or VQ is in the low 15s to the mid 14s.

With any engine, adding an s/c, turbo, nitrous changes the equasion entirely. But that is something determined by those with lots of money and/or mechanical skill.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm needing a caw

Here's a thought. How many VEs have you read that destroyed their engines because of the VTCs? Now how many have you read that destroyed their engines because the T-belt tensioner broke or the crank snout broke off? Hmmm

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
This is kind of a silly argument, since all of these engines are good to 200k miles + if properly maintained. VTC ticking or not, there are tons and tons of VEs with at least 150k on them that still run strong with no reliability problems. On a VE, maybe the VTCs need to be replaced once in the car's lifetime. Well, on a VG, the timing belt has to be replaced 3-4 times during that same 200k miles. The cost is about the same.

The VG is obviously the worst of the Nissan engines for performance in any Maxima, 3rd gen on. Unless you turbo your VG, you WILL NOT have the performance of a VE or VQ. That seems pretty simple.

Go ahead and look in the 1/4 mile forum. I don't see anyone with a n/a VG even approaching low 15s, PERIOD. Virtually everyone with a VE or VQ is in the low 15s to the mid 14s.

With any engine, adding an s/c, turbo, nitrous changes the equasion entirely. But that is something determined by those with lots of money and/or mechanical skill.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:12 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

or the crank snout broke off? Hmmm
I found one vg crank broke....http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ankshaft+broke
Old 08-23-2005, 01:27 PM

Stop arguing people. They are both great, long-lasting engines.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 91WBSE
Stop arguing people. They are both great, long-lasting engines.
not from what i'm reading.

i own a VG..and i personally rather have the VE/VQ.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

It doesn't explain it?

Originally Posted by DanNY
ok thanks Jeff
Old 08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

It doesn't explain it?
yes big poppa
Old 08-23-2005, 07:13 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
IMO, the VQ actually had some of the VE's features deleted in the interest of cost savings. Remember, the 4thGen was introduced at a time when Nissan was almost bankrupt. That is why I think the VQ30DE in stateside Maximas does not have variable valve timing or a variable intake manifold. These features were added back in the VQ35. Which, in my mind, makes a VQ35 the only motor to move up to from a VE.

Also, 4thGen tranny lost the VLSD, paint was crap, interior rattled more... Not to mention the minivan rear end.

This is why we refer to the 4thGen as a Minima.
Good point. A friend of mine had a 96' Minima, and I totally agree. Felt alot cheaper then the 4DSC. But what I still don't get is, even though they cheapened out on the VQ as you say, then why is it still makin more torque and the same HP without any real issues such as VTC's?

According to this.. The VQ would be the better choice from a technical standpoint. I still like the VE alot better, because it has much more character.

"Car and Driver, June 1994:

The other new ingredient in the Maxima recipe is the engine. It's still a 24- valve, 3.0 liter 60-degree V-6, but virtually no parts interchange with the previous powerplant. Aluminum alloy cuts the weight of the block casting nearly in half, repackaging of the cam drive and accessories shrinks its external dimensions, and the usual refinement of electronic controls manages gains in both performance and efficiency.

But for the enthusiast driver, the engine's running character is perhaps more notable even than its on paper features and benefits. A short-stroke design (3.66 inch bore by 2.89 inch stroke, versus the previous engine's 3.43 by 3.27) and a concerted effort to lighten the weight of all rotating and reciprocating parts have given the new V-6 a lively, free-revving feel. It responds instantly to throttle, spins up with a nicely subdued growl, and makes a perfect match with the five-speed manual gearbox that is the natural enthusiast's alternative to the four-speed autobox.

Output figures for the new engine are the same 190 horsepower at 5600 rpm of the former SE engine, and 205 pound-feet of torque at 4000 rpm, up from 190 at the same engine speed. So this engine is at least is strong as the old SE unit, and it's pulling around a car a good deal lighter: 3100 pounds, compared with the 3238 of our August 1992 comparo car. Acceleration is sparkling. Our '95 Maxima SE scampers to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds and covers the quarter-mile in 15.3 seconds, reaching 91 mph. (The '92 ran 0 to 60 in 7.0 seconds, the quarter-mile in 15.5 seconds at 91 mph.) Top speed is 135 mph, within production tolerances of the 137 mph we saw in the '92 car."
Old 08-23-2005, 08:02 PM

how fast can a VG auto actually go??? i know mine can go at least 115 with a warpspeed y-pipe and exhaust from the resonator back is separated!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

talk tabout super off topic...
Old 08-23-2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
how fast can a VG auto actually go??? i know mine can go at least 115 with a warpspeed y-pipe and exhaust from the resonator back is separated!!!!
135. i have had the needle pegged at the "Y" of "unleaded fuel only." and i got a ticket for it. i had CAI and full warpspeed exhaust front to back. y-pipe, the whole nine yards.

another guy on here went 170. he stripped his car down and had "secret sauce." i forget his name. he does't post here much anymore. jeff and matt and shawn will know of whom i speak. i think his name is brian.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
135. i have had the needle pegged at the "Y" of "unleaded fuel only." and i got a ticket for it. i had CAI and full warpspeed exhaust front to back. y-pipe, the whole nine yards.

another guy on here went 170. he stripped his car down and had "secret sauce." i forget his name. he does't post here much anymore. jeff and matt and shawn will know of whom i speak. i think his name is brian.
The only Brian I know of that could come close to that speed did not drive a VG auto. VE 5spd, HEAVILY modded.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 AM

ok thanks guys and sorry for the off topic subject
Old 08-24-2005, 07:43 AM
I miss my VE

More like 123 barely making to 125 mph. Been there done that.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm needing a caw

170???? Come on
Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 AM

i know mine reched 115 pretty easily, but i think it was in 3rd gear and the petal to the metal. i was surprised how fast it got up there
Old 08-24-2005, 08:27 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Wow you guys are a bunch of ******

and turd gens suck
Old 08-24-2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
More like 123 barely making to 125 mph. Been there done that.
seriously. it goes higher than that. 135-ish. and that is on a long flat straight part of the 5 going north to santa cruz. it was the fastest i have ever been in a car. things get weird at that speed.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:08 AM

my VG tops out at the speed limit. i never go over the speed limit
Old 08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Stardust

and turd gens suck
yup, they suck the paint off your car as they fly past
Old 08-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
i know mine reched 115 pretty easily, but i think it was in 3rd gear and the petal to the metal. i was surprised how fast it got up there
Once it hits about 122, it goes up extremely slowly. For it to go from 122 to like 123 takes about 10 seconds. Then it gets worse after. It's pathetic. It took me like a minute to go from 123 to 125.

Originally Posted by Stardust

and turd gens suck
Nice rear suspension you got there

seriously. it goes higher than that. 135-ish. and that is on a long flat straight part of the 5 going north to santa cruz. it was the fastest i have ever been in a car. things get weird at that speed.
Since things get weird at that speed, you sure you were going 135-ish? How would you know anyway? The speedo only goes till 125. So basically your saying that all you needed was a bolt on or 2, and your VG had almost the same top speed as the VE? I guess Nissan really threw their money away on all that extra stuff they stuffed into into that twin cam 24valve, eh?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:59 PM

the VG speedo only goes to 125, but my HUD goes wherever it has to. i clocked 130 on a canadian road on a huge plain with no cars in sight, i dont know if it could have gotten higher. i was satisfied. there aren't many places i'd try that... i do have the tires rated for high speeds, mechanically sound and like i said, no end or reason to stop in sight.
i DO have some bolt ons too. warp speed y, udp... still... my VE is still definitely faster. i like the VG though, a lot, its simple, works great and it has lots of potential - i dont see why its getting flamed. especially after i replaced 6 coil packs at 60$ and spent 10$ a pop on spark plugs for the VE... can you say 500 dollar tune up?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
the VG speedo only goes to 125, but my HUD goes wherever it has to. i clocked 130 on a canadian road on a huge plain with no cars in sight, i dont know if it could have gotten higher. i was satisfied. there aren't many places i'd try that... i do have the tires rated for high speeds, mechanically sound and like i said, no end or reason to stop in sight.
i DO have some bolt ons too. warp speed y, udp... still... my VE is still definitely faster. i like the VG though, a lot, its simple, works great and it has lots of potential - i dont see why its getting flamed. especially after i replaced 6 coil packs at 60$ and spent 10$ a pop on spark plugs for the VE... can you say 500 dollar tune up?
You should have just gotten the NGK copper plugs. They work just fine and will last a lot longer than you think. It probably wasn't necessary to replace all 6 coil packs, either. You should have tested them to see if any were bad. I had one cracked one (front) and one bad one (rear). Once I replaced those two, my car ran like new.

Also, you guys need to stop going on and on about speeding. If you want, ask MrGone for proof of VE powa...
Old 08-24-2005, 06:18 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Is this thread ever gonna die??????
Old 08-24-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
i dont see why its getting flamed.
It isn't so much that it gets flamed for being a VG as it just sucks when compared to a VE or a VQ. I own a VE 5spd and a VG auto. My VE, especially after I added the Fidanza, is a monster when compared to my humble VG auto. But, I do admit, that I have never driven or ridden in a VG 5spd. Maybe they are slightly better?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:29 PM
I miss my VE

In the end, there really isn't any comparison. The VE is by far way more advanced then the VG. Just leave it at that.

Edit: Also, the VE was probably built with performance in mind, according to the specs. The VG on the otherhand, was just built for a basic gutsy reliable V6 with a kick.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:54 PM

my coil packs were a funny situation... all tested fine electronically... all appeared fine under the glass. i got 2 spares, 1 for each bank, and shifted them along - never could get rid of the bizarre trans. shifting they caused, until i replaced all at once... i suppose i could have gotten 4 and that might have done it... but it all seemed a waste of time and a future headache. the problem was so sporadic it would be a long road to diagnosis.

yea ok, close it. the VG is reliable, the VE is powerful they are both good engines. ****ing a
Old 08-25-2005, 02:08 PM

Once it hits about 122, it goes up extremely slowly. For it to go from 122 to like 123 takes about 10 seconds. Then it gets worse after. It's pathetic. It took me like a minute to go from 123 to 125.

Nice rear suspension you got there

Since things get weird at that speed, you sure you were going 135-ish? How would you know anyway? The speedo only goes till 125. So basically your saying that all you needed was a bolt on or 2, and your VG had almost the same top speed as the VE? I guess Nissan really threw their money away on all that extra stuff they stuffed into into that twin cam 24valve, eh?
your sarcasm is unfounded. the numbers on the VG speedo stop at 125. but there is a lot of space left after that. i had the needle pegged at the "Y" like i said. incrementally, that is about 135, actually more than that. the needle keeps climbing the faster you go, regardless of printed numbers being there or not.

given enough flat run, and time, and mods, of course you can go that fast. you will not be able to rocket to 135 like a Porsche can. or even at the VE's pace. but it can approach the stock VE's speed. so why is that so shocking or blasphemous or non-believable? you need CAI, y, b pipe, cat, magnaflow, groundwires, good tires and brakes, and you can do it. if you dare try.

after reading years of these engine battle threads, as far as i see, the biggest thing in favor of the VE snobbery is that it has "190 hp." that is the bragging right for that engine.

were it up to me, i'd have yanked both VG and VE out of the 3rd gen and put a VQ35 in it. but such an engine was not available at the time.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:13 PM

the biggest thing in favor of the VE snobbery is that it has "190 hp." that is the bragging right for that engine.
How you ever driven or ridden in a modded VE 5spd?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I miss my VE

your sarcasm is unfounded. the numbers on the VG speedo stop at 125. but there is a lot of space left after that. i had the needle pegged at the "Y" like i said. incrementally, that is about 135, actually more than that. the needle keeps climbing the faster you go, regardless of printed numbers being there or not.

given enough flat run, and time, and mods, of course you can go that fast. you will not be able to rocket to 135 like a Porsche can. or even at the VE's pace. but it can approach the stock VE's speed. so why is that so shocking or blasphemous or non-believable? you need CAI, y, b pipe, cat, magnaflow, groundwires, good tires and brakes, and you can do it. if you dare try.

after reading years of these engine battle threads, as far as i see, the biggest thing in favor of the VE snobbery is that it has "190 hp." that is the bragging right for that engine.
How can you say my sarcasm is "unfounded" when the needle being pegged at "Y" according to you is 135. Anyway, I was bein sarcastic cause I thought you were joking.

Oh and if you really compare the technical differences of the VE and VG, you can see why the VE gets most of the attention on here. And it ain't only cause of the extra HP/TQ. Check the specs out for yourself... https://maxima.org/modules.php?name=specs_1994

Even Nissan gave the VE more attention. I wonder why?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm needing a caw

Modded VG 5-sps are pretty good. My bro had a VG 5-sp with Y and intake. Went pretty good. Approaches almost what a stock VE 5-sp can do. But there is just noticalble gap inbetween the two that you can't ignore. Drive both if you have the chance. My VE with the Fidanza and UDP revs so fast it's unreal. And the great thing with the VE is not only the 30hp difference but it's ability to pull decently well after 5,000 rpm. VG does NOT do this.

I suppose the closest analogy I can summon is try to drive an Integra GS, then drive the GSR version.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:24 PM

thank you, jeff. the dawn of reason.

joe, chill out dude. peace.

you think i'm trying to put the VG on par with the VE, as if they're the same. they're not. jeeez.

extra horsepower and torque are never bad things. in that department, the VE is superior.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:42 PM

you guys who think 30hp is the biggest difference are forgetting that the powerbands are completely different.

But it isn't even worth arguing stock VE vs stock VG or whatever. Simply no Fidanza no care
Old 08-25-2005, 05:25 PM
I miss my VE

thank you, jeff. the dawn of reason.

joe, chill out dude. peace.

you think i'm trying to put the VG on par with the VE, as if they're the same. they're not. jeeez.

extra horsepower and torque are never bad things. in that department, the VE is superior.
Hey, we're just having a nice discussion here. I don't feel this is a heated argument. So what department is the VG superior in then? Reliability? Someone here brought up a good point, saying that the money it takes to replace/rebuild the VTC's adds up to the replacement of timing belts in the lifespan of both engines. I think the timing belt replacements would come out to a bit more. I really can't find any reason why anyone would perfer a VG over a VE. Especially to try and make it fit into a VE shell with all that work. That is why this thread is a bit weird. Finally, the original point I was tryin to make was a VG without any mods will not get near a VE in top speed. I have gotten a stock perfectly running VG to top speed and it really doesn't go far after 125. Not to mention it takes about a mile for it increase 1mph.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:03 PM

Hey, we're just having a nice discussion here. I don't feel this is a heated argument. So what department is the VG superior in then? Reliability? Someone here brought up a good point, saying that the money it takes to replace/rebuild the VTC's adds up to the replacement of timing belts in the lifespan of both engines. I think the timing belt replacements would come out to a bit more. I really can't find any reason why anyone would perfer a VG over a VE. Especially to try and make it fit into a VE shell with all that work. That is why this thread is a bit weird. Finally, the original point I was tryin to make was a VG without any mods will not get near a VE in top speed. I have gotten a stock perfectly running VG to top speed and it really doesn't go far after 125. Not to mention it takes about a mile for it increase 1mph.
i never said a stock VG could touch a VE. a stock VG is dull and boring, but a reliable and bulletproof engine.

the VE is more complex and powerful of an engine right away. and there's more there to potentially fail and replace. timing chain v belt notwithstanding. for example, i am curious about the cost of replacing coil packs. are they a lot, or a little? i have no idea.

i currently prefer a VG because i don't care to buy an entire other car with a VE in it. and my VG seems fine. and its modded and it hums along great.
it seldom needs anything but oil. i'm not looking to stare a VE in the face and race for pink slips.

i think this whole thing comes down to personal preference and practicality issues: some people on here find it impractical and infeasible to get rid of their VG max and buy a VE one. they'd just assume keep their VG, mod it, and work with what they have. and some here have done impressive things with their VG's, often to thumb the nose at the VE crowd.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:16 PM

some people on here find it impractical and infeasible to get rid of their VG max and buy a VE one.
I would have to agree with you there. I wanted a VE 5spd for years but never bought one b/c I knew I how much of a high strung biatch they could be. But, I got exremely lucky and found one with all of that work done already. If it weren't for the VE in my sig, I would be driving a 4thGen right now or worse.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I miss my VE

the VE is more complex and powerful of an engine right away. and there's more there to potentially fail and replace. timing chain v belt notwithstanding.
That probably happens as often as VG crank snouts breaking as mentioned earlier..

i currently prefer a VG because i don't care to buy an entire other car with a VE in it. and my VG seems fine. and its modded and it hums along great.
it seldom needs anything but oil. i'm not looking to stare a VE in the face and race for pink slips. .
I think if you drove one, which I doubt you have.. You wouldn't be saying that. No offense. Of course on the other hand......... If I drove a VG 5spd, I may not be talkin so much crap But from my experiences with a VG Auto, Im not all that satisfied. I have gotten some good victories in it though.

i think this whole thing comes down to personal preference and practicality issues: some people on here find it impractical and infeasible to get rid of their VG max and buy a VE one. they'd just assume keep their VG, mod it, and work with what they have. and some here have done impressive things with their VG's, often to thumb the nose at the VE crowd.
Well I had a good reason to get myself a VE. My T-belt broke on the VG, and I didn't really have the place, tools, nor the time to be messin around with it, checkin what I broke in there, repairing shi*, etc. Plus the body was totally destroyed and I needed a car ASAP. Since I always wanted a VE 5spd, ever since discovering it exists, now wouldn't be such a bad time to pick one up for a good price, so I did. But don't think while my VG was alive, I wasn't looking for what I really wanted. Really did not wanna work with a VG after reading about the modded all motor versions of it.

So in the end all I can say is I recommend getting a VE 5spd to anyone who wants the ultimate 3rd gen experience and the "coolest" Maxima around. Even if there is a reliablility difference between the two, I can assure you it's quite small, when looking at what the VE can do. And it's well worth it.

Quick Reply: Putting a VG into a VE...a few questions