3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

No Oil in engine ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 01:53 PM
anshu

Today when I took my '90 Maxima GXE for oil change the mechaninc told me that there was no oil in the engine and that I should take my car immediately to an engine mechanic. I didn't observe any leakage of oil in the parking space where I usually park my maxima. Is it some thing casuse by broken timing belts or some thing else ? How much it should cost to fix this problem ? Are there any other maintenance work that I should get done along with this when the engine is opened ? Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2001, 02:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

My frineds.....

Eclipse GST ran out of oil twice, apparently he had been using the wrong "grade" oil and I think the mechanic said it would burn too quickly. as for your timing belt prob, if it is broken or about to break than you have a serious prob on your hands as well. timing belt replacement alone is about $400+ and hopefully there is no valve damage, etc. while the engine is open why not get some gaskets, seals and H20 pump replaced too... when was the last time you changed the oil anyways?

Originally posted by anshu
Today when I took my '90 Maxima GXE for oil change the mechaninc told me that there was no oil in the engine and that I should take my car immediately to an engine mechanic. I didn't observe any leakage of oil in the parking space where I usually park my maxima. Is it some thing casuse by broken timing belts or some thing else ? How much it should cost to fix this problem ? Are there any other maintenance work that I should get done along with this when the engine is opened ? Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2001, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by anshu

Thanks
does the engine smoke? if you broke a timing belt, you could probably bend a valve so that it won't seal, and bend a pushrod too, that would be an easy way to get oil in the cylinder to burn off. when you fill it up, you might want to think about getting one of those cheap mechanical gauges that autozone or ho'reilly's sells, plumb it up, and check what your pressure is at idle. general rule of thumb is 20psi for every 1k rpm. any less and you got problems. this is when dealing with AMC and F*rd motors, but I would think the same would apply to Nissans.