3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Non USA Toyota YZZF2 Filter... *PICS 56K BEWARE!*

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Non USA Toyota YZZF2 Filter... *PICS 56K BEWARE!*

Hey all, this is a supplimental Thread to my post in the replacement filter sticky. I said I would post pictures, but I didn't want everyone to be plauged with having to wait to see these. Anyway, it sort of sucks that they aren't USA made anymore. Can't speak to the quallity now. There are somewhat big pictures, so 56Kers beware.

If you want to post here, anyone used these Thai filters? Same as the USA ones?

Old 09-16-2005, 05:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

welcome to the world of outsourcing labor man, if the labor is cheap elsewhere, corporate will line up for it, much more profit that way. Quality wise, I would think that it should be the same, since this is an OEM product, and most OEM have a strict set of QC regulation in place, no matter which country it comes from.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:29 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Agreed....just because it was made elsewhere does not mean the quality has dropped...Just the cost of labor to make it....
Old 09-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well quality did go down. the old made in japan 90915-20004 was probably one of the best filter toyota made. it rivals their TRD filters. now they have replaced it with a cheaper oil filter made somewhere else. the filter media is night and day compared to the two.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ter/index.html

yes i know it's not the "EXACT" filter you have there...but just a FYI
Old 09-16-2005, 07:13 AM

I was wondering if anyone was going to post about the filter change. I went to the toyota dealer to get a 90915-YZZZA2 filter for a friend of mine. they said that they dont make the YZZA2 but they have changed it to the YZZF2.

when I got the filter I was not happy to see that they changed the gasket. the old one had tabs to hold the gasket on so you wont ever get a double gasket. I know its an easy thing to prevent but I liked it because it showed to me the quality of the filter. this new one comes with a "pre lubed" gasket, LOL thats a joke. its not even oil its like a gel. I asked the guy at the desk if there were any other changes made to the filter and he told me no.

I didnt take the filter apart to see the filter element (b/c it was new) but I did take my YZZA2 filter apart before. that was the first filter element that I saw that was not like all the rest. it was very tightly packed and didnt have all of thoes V groves in it like every other filter has.

I hate this, first nissan stops making the filter for our car and now toyota is going cheap on the filter that they have.

does anyone have any ideah of what to do? should I try and find a bunch of YZZA2 filters and buy them all? any other filter anyone use that could compare with the YZZA2?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Napa gold
Mobil 1
K&N

all good filters....or good alternatives...but $$
Old 09-16-2005, 09:16 AM
I miss my VE

When anybody gets a chance, cut both open(USA/Thai) and compare to see if they really cheapened out or not.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:34 AM

I have several old ones (made in USA) laying around but they are used. when my friend needs another oil change I can use his filter (made in Thailand) and cut them both open and see if they are really that different. I just cant spend the extra money right now to go out and buy one, Im between jobs
Old 09-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximaboi
I have several old ones (made in USA) laying around but they are used. when my friend needs another oil change I can use his filter (made in Thailand) and cut them both open and see if they are really that different. I just cant spend the extra money right now to go out and buy one, Im between jobs

This would figure, I just bought 4 of the new ones.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:19 PM
il massimi bassi

i just bought 4 from richardson texas thier site listed the yzza2 filter and showed a picture of it. I bought 4 but they sent me the F2 version intead. Is this going to have the same drainback properties?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:46 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by 96ItaliaSE
i just bought 4 from richardson texas thier site listed the yzza2 filter and showed a picture of it. I bought 4 but they sent me the F2 version intead. Is this going to have the same drainback properties?
It's the same one. They just changed the parts number for it everywhere from A2 to F2.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
It's the same one. They just changed the parts number for it everywhere from A2 to F2.

So you've cut the new one open then?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:38 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
So you've cut the new one open then?
No, have you? You make it sound is if you know they changed something. As far as I know, there was no reason to. Share the knowledge then...

Edit: I am talkin about the F2 that was still made in the US, by the way.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:24 PM

No, have you? You make it sound is if you know they changed something. As far as I know, there was no reason to. Share the knowledge then...

Edit: I am talkin about the F2 that was still made in the US, by the way.

Well, from looking at the pics above, the outward design has changed, and from reading reports of other filter brands (STP, Bosch) using inferior quality media and anti-drainback designs after outsourcing production overseas, as well as DanNYs comments, I would conclude that there is a chance that the anti-drainback valve has been changed, yes. So until someone cuts one open and proves the design is the same, I won't buy any more. I made no assertion as to whether they changed the design in my first post, whereas you did make an assertion that they are the same, when in fact you have no proof.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

OMG, you guys worry WAY too much. Didn't they say in the first oil filter sticky that when using the toyota A2 filter that they had noticeably less VTC ticking at start-up? That's a good thing last time I checked. So just quit talking/whining/theorizing and have someone with a job go change their oil, or even just slap on a new filter, using the F2. Then they can "report back" as to the results. I gaurantee it won't be any worse than using some cheapo filter, porbably just as good as the A2. Heck, i'm pretty sure i've got a spare filter at work. (the stealership, see sig.) Anybody in or near Charlotte, NC wants to try it, I'll GIVE them the filter.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:40 PM
I miss my VE

Well, from looking at the pics above, the outward design has changed, and from reading reports of other filter brands (STP, Bosch) using inferior quality media and anti-drainback designs after outsourcing production overseas, as well as DanNYs comments, I would conclude that there is a chance that the anti-drainback valve has been changed, yes. So until someone cuts one open and proves the design is the same, I won't buy any more. I made no assertion as to whether they changed the design in my first post, whereas you did make an assertion that they are the same, when in fact you have no proof.
But it's been changed from A2 to F2 for the past few months or so. And you stopped using it since then because you believe theres a chance they drastically changed the design when the parts number was changed? I really doubt that was the case. Proof or no proof, I would rather tell the guy that it's the same, than have him not use it at all, because the filter is definatly doin a good job just like the A2 was, and all I got from the F2 was perfection compared to the STP that was on there before.

Originally Posted by Dillbag
OMG, you guys worry WAY too much. Didn't they say in the first oil filter sticky that when using the toyota A2 filter that they had noticeably less VTC ticking at start-up? That's a good thing last time I checked. So just quit talking/whining/theorizing and have someone with a job go change their oil, or even just slap on a new filter, using the F2. Then they can "report back" as to the results. I gaurantee it won't be any worse than using some cheapo filter, porbably just as good as the A2. Heck, i'm pretty sure i've got a spare filter at work. (the stealership, see sig.) Anybody in or near Charlotte, NC wants to try it, I'll GIVE them the filter.
I use the F2 and compared to the STP that I had on there that would clack here and there, the F2 pretty much got rid of all of it. I highly recommend it. Im pretty sure it's not any different then the A2.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dillbag
Lighten up Frances...
Old 09-18-2005, 07:51 AM

But it's been changed from A2 to F2 for the past few months or so. And you stopped using it since then because you believe theres a chance they drastically changed the design when the parts number was changed? I really doubt that was the case. Proof or no proof, I would rather tell the guy that it's the same, than have him not use it at all, because the filter is definatly doin a good job just like the A2 was, and all I got from the F2 was perfection compared to the STP that was on there before.

No, I recently ran out of A2s (I buy them 6 at a time) and I am trying to judge whether to order some F2s (now $4 each on toyotapartsworld), or some Mobil 1 filters ($6.50 each), since the Mobil 1 filters have more filtering area and superior filtering media, which would allow me to run extended intervals with my oil. That's all.

And just food for thought: if the filter is the same, why did they need to change the part number?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:07 AM
I miss my VE

And just food for thought: if the filter is the same, why did they need to change the part number?
Who knows, probably restock. Maybe your right though. I still think you should give the F2 a try. Highly recommended here. Doesn't seem anything is wrong with it.

Have you ever tried a Mobil 1 yet? Feedback? I wouldn't mind checkin one out on my next oil change either to comapare to the F2.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

No, no, no, i'm trying to tell you guys to lighten up. goobers. of course i have not these issues as i am running on rock-solid VG power. If it's good enough for 2 generations of Z's, it good enough for me.