3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Catalytic converter going out now!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 05:20 PM

Catalytic converter going out now!?

well this has been a bad week for my maxima. while I was driving down the road I noticed that my right leg was getting really hot. I put my hand on the plastic center console and it felt very very soft from the heat!! it got so hot that I almost had to stop driving because my leg got so hot!

When I got home I looked under the car expecting the cat to be cherry red but it wasnt. I felt around it and it did feel hotter than the rest of the exhaust but not so hot that I thought it was going to melt the plastic center console. I took off the shift **** off and the plastic boot under the leather and it was so hot I had to move my hand.

Does this sound like my cats going out? the only things that I could think of that would cause it to heat up that much in that is the cat going out or a hole between the cat and the Y-pipe that is facing my shifter. I dont hear an exhaust leak so I dont know.

I need some help because I have to be in pittsburgh (4 1/2 hrs away) on sunday for my new job. after I get going with this job I will have no problem buying new things for my car but right now I dont have hardly any money.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

The heat shield is probably missing,hole in it or something...The cat my have a hole in the top of it causing the heat,hole in the shield...blah blah....

If you need a shield...I have one....
Old 09-21-2005, 05:41 PM

well the shield is on the car. there is a pretty big hole for the shift linkage but the edges are curved so it looks like it came factory with that hole in it. I dont hear any exhaust leak and I got under the car and turned it on and had a friend give it a little gas. my baby is falling apart on the eve of my BIG new job
Old 09-21-2005, 05:53 PM

ok well I just went back out and took a 2nd look at the heat shield and I can see one spot that looks like it was cut away. they guy that I got my max from had installed a short throw shifter so I guess he could have cut away part of the heat shield. but why would I just now feel the heat from this. I have had this car for over 6 months now and I have driven it over 700 miles in one day and I never felt any heat.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:19 PM

Will a cat from a VG fit my VE? if I could go to the junkyard and get a cat off of another car that should last me till I get my first check from my new job. the only problem is that I havent ever seen a VE at the junkyard.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:37 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yup they are the same....http://www.partstrain.com/products/C...AN~MAXIMA.html
Old 09-21-2005, 07:44 PM

there are 3 heat guards for the cat, one on top of the cat, one on bottom and one on the car...i took the top one off of mine and it seems a little hoter, not melting hot though
Old 09-21-2005, 07:53 PM

I didnt know that there were 3 heat shields. there is only 1 on my car. the cat is totally exposed on the bottom, no heat shield at all. there is also no heat shield on the top of the cat. there is a heat shield attached to the car, it is between the top of the cat and the shifter but there is a big hole for the shifter. Im going to try and go to the junk yard tomorrow and get a used cat and I will look at the heat shields and see the difference between them and mine. I will prob end up getting the heat shield to.

I just dont know why I would just start to feel the heat from the lack of heat shield over the cat.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have no idea what your problem is, but both my maximas get really hot in the console plastic. My old VE-5 shift rod got really hot quite often too. I guess i have the same question you do.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by maximaboi
...why I would just start to feel the heat from the lack of heat shield over the cat.
The heat shields are there for reason. Even with shields, parking & CAT contacting dry grass may cause wild fire & wildfire. After that, no trip to pittsburg... The CAT needs to be hot to work, and bleach our enviro with heavy metals, greenpee hoax i$$ue. That is the 2nd reason for the shield. Now heated is u leg & max, the real concern.

Buy, install the shields from the junkyard or just wrap around with sheet metal leaving a gap for insulatin air.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:26 PM

they probably fell off along the road somewhere, there sohuld be one on top and botom of the cat though
Old 09-22-2005, 05:32 PM

well I went to the junkyard to get a cat today and they tell me that because of some EPA law they cant sell a used cat. they even have to cut the cat off of the car before they can put it in a u-pull junkyard. I did see heat shields on maximas and there was no hole on the top of the shield so Im guessing when the guy the had the car before me installed the short throw shifter there were some issues with the shifter hitting the shield.

what can I use to block the heat from comming up? I dont want the center console to get that hot ever again. is there some sort of flexable shield that I can buy at like autozone that will allow me to bend it around the shifter?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:44 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

what can I use to block the heat from comming up?

Just get one of the stock heat shields off a junker....Easy,quick,and cheap..
Old 09-22-2005, 06:00 PM

but I dont think the stock one will fit with the short throw shifter.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:07 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

but I dont think the stock one will fit with the short throw shifter.

What brand of S/S shifter is it????
Old 09-22-2005, 07:14 PM

Im not sure. it was on the car when I got it. I can try and PM the guy b/c hes a .org member.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Im not sure. it was on the car when I got it. I can try and PM the guy b/c hes a .org member.

I put a pacesetter s/s shifter in mine and the only thing i did was push down the heat shield with the the other end of a hammer...You my have to pound on it a little with the handle part to push your new h/s down a little so it don't rub the shifter when you shift....
Old 09-22-2005, 07:37 PM

do you know of any place where I can buy a heat shield? I really dont want to get under the cars at the junkyard. they are not held up very well and Im a little afraid that the car could fall on me.

I will do what you say and just try to bend the new heat shield down.

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:43 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

do you know of any place where I can buy a heat shield? I really dont want to get under the cars at the junkyard. they are not held up very well and Im a little afraid that the car could fall on me.

I will do what you say and just try to bend the new heat shield down.

Thanks for all of your help!

I have one for sale
Old 09-22-2005, 07:50 PM

LOL so there was a motive to all of your posts. J/K

how much do you want for it? Im going to to have to wait till I get my first check from my new job (just spent all the rest of my money at the junkyard ) would you hold it for me?
Old 09-22-2005, 07:58 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

LOL so there was a motive to all of your posts. J/K

how much do you want for it? Im going to to have to wait till I get my first check from my new job (just spent all the rest of my money at the junkyard ) would you hold it for me?

Yea...I'll put it back for ya....Its only $5 plus shipping
Old 09-22-2005, 08:14 PM

Sold! my zip is 45140 so just let me know how much shipping is going to be then as soon as I get my first check I will send you the money
Old 09-22-2005, 08:22 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sold! my zip is 45140 so just let me know how much shipping is going to be then as soon as I get my first check I will send you the money

Ok...........i will pm you....