3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

well, it finally happened

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM

well, it finally happened

yup, my tranny broke....as you all know it was slipping, then it just locked up on me one day, good thing it was in my driveway, it wouldnt go ANYWHERE in any gear. so it locked up.....you can tell something broke from the noise inside of the tranny when idling. i dont know what i am going to do....this sucks!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:44 PM

u better double knot your shoe laces and start walkin boy!

well good luck. search the papers for something really cheap.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:45 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I feel your pain....My input shaft bearing had been grinding for a good while...Then this past saturday, i lost first and second gear....I'll be doing the tranny swap this weekend....
Old 10-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sell me your WSP pipes Naw just kidding, hope you get her back on the road man.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:11 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I found a couple trannys in NJ on car-part.com

$450 First Class Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-NJ(Trenton) 1-800-360-2886

$450 Hill Auto Parts USA-NJ(Patterson) 1-973-754-0022

Hope this helps....
Old 10-04-2005, 02:14 PM
STFU n00b!

I have a VG 5 spd tranny here, but it needs to be rebuilt...
you can probably find one locally cheaper.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:06 PM

If the shifter locked up, then something definately shattered. Hopefully it was only your input shaft bearing, but if you were able to get it in gear and the car wouldnt move, its probably worse. Pull it apart and see what happened. Good luck, hopefully it wont be too bad of a fix!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
yup, my tranny broke....as you all know it was slipping, then it just locked up on me one day, good thing it was in my driveway, it wouldnt go ANYWHERE in any gear. so it locked up.....you can tell something broke from the noise inside of the tranny when idling. i dont know what i am going to do....this sucks!!!
Sorry to hear. Told you to take it easy on that tranny. I think it would be better off for you to go with a Civic or something. Something very cheap and easy to work on, and get a stick and start practicin while your young. You'll thank yourself later. Because if the tranny is done for, your lookin at alot.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Im izz sexay

I know your pain. Go one craigslist.org and search for something cheap. I found my sunbird for 200 and it needed a radiator, valve cover gasket, and starter. But now I can resell at Bluebook but I won't. Definately get a 5-speed. After about 30 miles you'll be nice and smooth with launching and shifting. I remember my cd player would always skip as I slipped the clutch. Now I learned how to smoothly transfer the poser to the clutch. Hopefully you find a diamond in the rough like me and like it.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:21 PM

i will look for cheap auto trannys.....maybe one of you guys would like to buy.....only 128,000 miles still runs like a dream, new timing belt, timing tensioner, camshaft seals (nissan), warpspeed y-pipe and new rest of exhaust, new water pump (not rebuilt) ALL BLACK INTERIOR, but i might keep that.....runs great, but needs a new tranny.... still deciding what i wanna do with it though...i still might not sell it. but there is a price for everything. he he i need $2,000 like right now for a black VE5 speed that i really want....will sell car as is for $2,000 LOL
Old 10-04-2005, 05:27 PM

I"ll give ya 150. And my pity. Go buy a tranny. Another used car will do the same. Atleast if you replace this one, you know it'll last a good long time. Assuming you treat your car right.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:35 PM

now that i think about it, i think the 5 spd swap is way over my head.......i might just rebuild the tranny.... i got average quotes from $850-$1300.. i called aobut 5 places and that is the best i got. does that sound ok???? i mean i would do it myself.....well i changed my mind when i looked into my chilton's book...way too complicated for me......ill let the pros do that. so does that price sound good??
Old 10-04-2005, 05:39 PM

sounds good. I payed 2000 to have a new one dropped in. 5-speed though.

DO NOT GOTTO COTTMAN TRANS> They rape ya when your not looking and laugh about it in your face when it's all payed.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:44 PM

well that price is a rebuilt one.....i guess it depends what went wrong with it... i mean it totally just locked up one day and would not move in ANY gear so i guess it is pretty bad, or just something broke and was holding it locked up
Old 10-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
I"ll give ya 150. And my pity. Go buy a tranny. Another used car will do the same. Atleast if you replace this one, you know it'll last a good long time. Assuming you treat your car right.
Ha!! I've been through two used and toasted my original tranny. My original I did from neutral drops and the other two just went out slowly and I was driving like miss daisy but faster. Seriously most of my miles were highway and I still managed to ruin two replacements. IMO and from experience it just isn't worth it to put that much into the car. If I could go back to when my second tranny went out I would have bought a cheap civic hatch or crx. Nope I loved the max and got another tranny. The trannies are weak especially the auto's. It's a true waste unless you invested thousands into this car and even then you'll properly get the tranny built so that it would last. Basic rebuilds and replacements aren't worth it with these borg warner trannies.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Alex_V

I have a tranny with 166K and it was always driven easy. $225 plus shipping. I can send it this week. Or I can stop by the junk yard, they usually have 2-4 VG autos in and i can see how many miles they have. Id just charge w/e they do plus shipping a little labor. Its really not that hard to change a tranny.

If you did the t belt your self you can do the 5 speed swap. but just swapping auto for auto you should be done in less then 3-4 hours. I can break it down if you want.

~Alex

Old 10-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Im izz sexay

well that price is a rebuilt one.....i guess it depends what went wrong with it... i mean it totally just locked up one day and would not move in ANY gear so i guess it is pretty bad, or just something broke and was holding it locked up
Your torue converter probably went out. I think mine did but I am not paying a dollar more to fiind out. There's no way to find out unless you tear the tranny apart.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:57 PM
I miss my VE

But if you think your going to be driving the way you were driving before with the rebuilt one, don't even bother. Will not last long at all.

The way the majority of shops rebuild = Will crap out in about 20k miles. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:01 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
But if you think your going to be driving the way you were driving before with the rebuilt one, don't even bother. Will not last long at all.

The way the majority of shops rebuild = Will crap out in about 20k miles. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:06 PM

well i definately will not have the car for another 20,000 miles i can almost guarantee that. plus the tranny place will give a 1 year warranty on anything that goes bad..i forget what they said it was that went (they were guessing) but 4/5 mechanics i called said it as probably the same thing......i think i will just rebuild..now cant they just put new parts from a VE tranny into my VG case??? do you understand that???? what i mean is that can they put VE parts into my VG so that it will be stronger??? instead of buying a VE tranny case???
Old 10-04-2005, 09:34 PM

go for the 5-speed swap
Old 10-04-2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sgibb
go for the 5-speed swap
...dont make that error

Instead, start to listen dino ATF makers recommendations: they warrant 30k miles. NOW tHats Good point to change ALL oil. And NOT as Nissan says, stealerships want to inspect u tranny oil and wait, keep inspecting until it drop$ dead.

Killer Note: the oil in the stick looks red and slick even when its blk & slip

A/T Oil change: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/1
Old 10-05-2005, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by VG Ridah
Ha!! I've been through two used and toasted my original tranny. My original I did from neutral drops and the other two just went out slowly and I was driving like miss daisy but faster. Seriously most of my miles were highway and I still managed to ruin two replacements. IMO and from experience it just isn't worth it to put that much into the car. If I could go back to when my second tranny went out I would have bought a cheap civic hatch or crx. Nope I loved the max and got another tranny. The trannies are weak especially the auto's. It's a true waste unless you invested thousands into this car and even then you'll properly get the tranny built so that it would last. Basic rebuilds and replacements aren't worth it with these borg warner trannies.

Thats why i replaced my tranny instead of rebuilding it. And it was a shottie job. hopefully next time i'll be able to find a .org memeber that'll sell me one.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Come up to Michigan man, I have a 90 SE that I totaled thats got everything for a 5spd swap (160K miles on tranny), or theres a 91 White SE located about 60 miles away that is a 5spd and only has 130K on it for $700. Does have some michigan rust though.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:06 PM

i have decided that i will just get the suto rebuilt..... i do not have alot of time to do the 5 speed swap and i need my car ASAP....one thing i do not like is that junk yard trannys may have the same problem.....mine has only 128,000 miles on it and it was shot. all junk yard have 150,000 and above, so i may not get lucky. my g\f's father works in a tranny place so he can do it cheaper and he is pretty reliable so i think ill go that route for now, i wont have the car for 20,000 miles so im not worried about parts breaking
Old 10-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just make sure you get a good shop, my 93 GXE has been rebuilt twice now (previous owner), and the newest rebuild still slips one time when you start the car. I guess its all on the shop. I still feel sorry for the poor guy who sold me this car. Shelled out $2300 to Aamco for a rebuild 2 years before I bought his car for $800 b/c his mechanic said it needed new suspension, when all it needed were 2 control arms and a water pump
Old 10-05-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by geoff.doctor
Just make sure you get a good shop, my 93 GXE has been rebuilt twice now (previous owner), and the newest rebuild still slips one time when you start the car. I guess its all on the shop. I still feel sorry for the poor guy who sold me this car. Shelled out $2300 to Aamco for a rebuild 2 years before I bought his car for $800 b/c his mechanic said it needed new suspension, when all it needed were 2 control arms and a water pump
i think i can trust my girlfriends dad with my tranny, he is lazy but he gets the job done.....
Old 10-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Im izz sexay

i think i can trust my girlfriends dad with my tranny, he is lazy but he gets the job done.....
Just because the person can rebuild a tranny still doesn't warrant that it'll last over 5k miles. The only way I can see this occurring is if the person studies the major weaknesses and builds them up accordingly. I doubt that'll happen.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:19 AM

Dunno exactly u problem, but its cheap try to park u car on a steep angle, let idle half hour with 2nd gear, park brake on. If the problem is air pocket/bubbles in a valve/channel, that might correct it. (Definitely after oil change -if pump sucks air in- there is going to be foam/bubble problems for a while.) Then try another angle with P & 1st...
Old 10-07-2005, 07:07 PM

but one bad thing happened, my tranny totally locked up one day, i would shift and it wouldnt move out of any gear...it was LOCKED in gear, but would not roll forwards or backwards even in neutral i had 3 people trying to push it, but the car would just rock back and forth...
Old 10-07-2005, 09:14 PM

just find a cheap junkyard tranny and swap

plus then you can tinker with the broken auto
Old 10-07-2005, 11:38 PM

... but the car would just rock back and forth...
Its like sittin in P?

How did this happen? Is u stick & wire ok, I mean does the ctrl lever on tranny side move accordingly?

Look at the gear selector lever on tranny, below brake reservoir as smbdy moves the stick.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I miss my VE

I know what hes talkin about. Same thing happened to me when I had my auto. Just got stuck in P, and I couldn't get it out, not even while pressin that red emergency release switch.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:03 AM

My local junkyard charges $75 for ANY transmission. That is what I would do, but you have to pull it yourself, which is the only catch. Then you could take it and get it rebuild somewhere.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:18 PM

no, the thing was that i could shift the shifter and the linkage was moving, but the tranny was stuck, and the fluid was warm because i just got done driving it around, i put it in reverse and i heard a bang and the car wouldnt move, then it was stuck in gear, but i could move the shifter to all gears and remember, the linkage was moving.........right now i can actually move the car and it will move. but it didnt before, now it seems ok, but i hear metal and stuff grinding inside of it.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Alex_V

Sounds like alot got chewed up when it went. I just cant under stand why you want to rebuild such a screwed up tranny. If any thing get a cheap used tranny and have your gf's dad look at it. I mean if yours failed that bad, and they go out easy, especially rebuilt ones, its just going to fail soon any way. Just grab a used tranny dude, yours is most definitly toast.

~Alex