3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Worried about smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Worried about smoke

Last night I was cruisin at speed limit all night (surprisingly) and I love my car but when I was closer home there was this car behind me with real bright lights so I kinda just stepped on it a bit, I was going about 20 and stepped on it to reach about 45mph and I noticed on my rearview mirror that when I stepped on it hard there was a little cloud of smoke, not significantly big but still bothering me, could it be from running rich? or wat could it be?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
...all night ...going about 20... wat could it be?
could it be? ..all night ...going about 20
Old 10-09-2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wiking
could it be? ..all night ...going about 20
lol well not 20 all night but at the point when I stepped on it I was going. I was doing 30-40 the entire night, so nice and relaxing with my baby next to me

Any ideas what made it blow that smoke out? Not too sure if it couldve been dust or dirt on ground since it was dark and I was lookin out rearview mirror, I hope its nothing serious
Old 10-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Alex_V

Hows your oil level? When my 5 speed parts car was way over the full line it burned oil, a nice white cloud. took about 30 miles for it to do that but as soon as i drained it it went back to normal.

~Alex

Old 10-09-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Hows your oil level? When my 5 speed parts car was way over the full line it burned oil, a nice white cloud. took about 30 miles for it to do that but as soon as i drained it it went back to normal.

~Alex
its slightly under Max, I checked yesterday.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

We need more info... Any rough idle/ abnormal driving characteristics? What color is the smoke, and what does it smell like?
Old 10-09-2005, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
We need more info... Any rough idle/ abnormal driving characteristics? What color is the smoke, and what does it smell like?
well it idles somewhat rough, not as much after adjusting the IACV, it looked white/greyish but not completely sure as it was dark, as for smell sometimes when I turn it on in the garage it kinda makes my eyes water (yes I have the door open so I dont kill myself) the car does hesitate once in a while
Old 10-09-2005, 10:33 PM

... what made it blow that smoke out? ...
You?

Low rpm means low gas exchange, soot builds up. Then suddendly open up, all new and loose residue is shot out. If real problems exist, you can always repeat the smoke.

Youre not sure it wasnt burnt rubber?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:10 AM

You?

Low rpm means low gas exchange, soot builds up. Then suddendly open up, all new and loose residue is shot out. If real problems exist, you can always repeat the smoke.

Youre not sure it wasnt burnt rubber?
Nah it wasnt burnt rubber but it did it on the highway when I was going like 65 and floored it, i notice it only does it when I step on it hard and only for like 2 seconds and then it doesnt smoke anymore. According to the seller, the car was parked for 3 years as some of you may already know.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:24 AM

...when I step on it hard and only for like 2 seconds ....
The more engine needs tuneup and is loaded, the more it smokes... Up to a point its normal - even in maxima (full throttle uses MAF, TPS & ECU in 'average guess' injection). Just close u nose if u see BMW/GM Opel decelerating...

Plugs Cap Wires Filter ???

Make Sure = Mea-sure TPS http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/6
Old 10-10-2005, 11:35 AM

The more engine needs tuneup and is loaded, the more it smokes... Up to a point its normal - even in maxima (full throttle uses MAF, TPS & ECU in 'average guess' injection). Just close u nose if u see BMW/GM Opel decelerating...

Plugs Cap Wires Filter ???

Make Sure = Mea-sure TPS http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/6
The car got a tuneup when I got it. I notice it doent have new sparkplug wires or fuel filter though.. I dont get whatchu said about the BMW and opel comment can you explain please, thanks.

Hey could the sparkplug wires be causing that smoke?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:53 AM

...could the sparkplug wires be causing that smoke?
Quite farfetched... but as said, if sparking is less than adequote, load the engine and see smokin. First thing to me always is to make REAL wires - all stuttering gone. see http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/12

Measure the TPS, real cheap. Anyways, 'any' future DIY needs the 10$ radio shack dmm. Ask the salesguy howto use...

GM Opel: Theyre German engines, will smoke when engine brakes (decel). Have to add oil one quart every 600miles... using 2˝quarts is till NORMAL(user manual). uh eh.

"The car got a tuneup when I got it."
- Bosch plugs ant thats IT!