3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Max doesnt start????

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:58 PM

Max doesnt start????

Well I changed the radiator today, drove around and did some errands for about 5 hours. I parked it in my driveway and later on went to fill up with gas and car doesnt start. There is spark, there is fuel pressure. The only thing I havent checked is to pull a plug out and see if the piston is moving. The car cranks but just doesn't fully turnover. What could it be?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:22 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

How did you verify spark,fuel pressure???
Old 10-18-2005, 05:33 PM

Fuel pressure was done by a pressure gauge, spark was done visually. Pistons do move and rotor does spin when cracking. Im thinking a airflow sensor or MAF. Anyone else?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:40 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by jigga123
Fuel pressure was done by a pressure gauge, spark was done visually. Pistons do move and rotor does spin when cracking. Im thinking a airflow sensor or MAF. Anyone else?

Mass air flow sensors tend to not cause a no start condition,usually just bucking and jerking....

Check the relays and fusible links for obvious problems...Then check the fuse box for blown fuses....
Old 10-19-2005, 12:52 PM

try wiggling the coolant temp plug on the left rear side of the engine (if vg)

It is the yellow plug I'm talking about

Good luck !!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Man
try wiggling the coolant temp plug on the left rear side of the engine (if vg)

It is the yellow plug I'm talking about

Good luck !!
it worked!! im surprised to say the least. I think I'll go pick up another sensor and clean out the plug.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:49 PM

my max has the same problem !

It probably was bumped when you changed your radiator hoses

Glad to hear I helped!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got a question...woulda posted it in a new thread..but I'm new... (92 SE Auto) 170k miles

Driving down the highway...start to go up an incline on the highway and it dies. Starts back up. I thought I ran out of gas cause my guage doesnt work. Fill er up runs fine. 5 hours later I get off work drive her home sputtering a bit uphill but not bad...if i had just run out of gas that would be expected so I thought nothing of it.

The next day I start 'er up goes to 1k rpm then to 500 and dies. You step on the gas and it barely wants to do anything (bad sputtering etc) untill about 4500-6000 rpm then it seems fine. Burns tons of white smoke though and a noxious smell not like gas (even b4 I drilled holes in my cat,) heh. I changed the fuel filter cleaned the intake. Even drilled a few holes in my cat. converter. added some injector cleaner. Nothing worked.

So playing around, I unplugged the Mass airflow Sensor and it started idleing like a champ (was already hot from reving motor). Ran good as long as you stay below 2200 rpm which is ECU "safe mode" from what I read. Went to autozone they wanted 180$ after core charge...luckily I convinced them to let me try it b4 i bought it. Because after I installed it, plugged it in and the motor instantly died. Leads look fine as far as I can tell on the plug cant see any problems with any of the wires comming off it. Found out today, that it only runs fairly well with MAF unplugged if its at normal operating temperature cold it still sputters and dies but nothing like when its plugged in. Even when warm it sputters a bit going up hill. Fuel pump isnt even a year old so I'm doubting its that. Can't see any probs with any vacume lines. Any ideas?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by jigga123
it worked!! im surprised to say the least. I think I'll go pick up another sensor and clean out the plug.
cannot believe. maybe it was u breath that worked as starter gas...

Take sensor & MAF plugs out, still starts.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by 92SEAuto
- goes to 1k rpm then to 500 and dies.
- about 4500-6000 rpm then it seems fine.
- Burns tons of white smoke
- changed the fuel filter
- cleaned the intake.
- playing around,
- unplugged the Mass ,,, started idleing like a champ
- Went to autozone
- and the motor instantly died. ...
- Intake leak, sticking IACV
- MAF
- Coolant level ok?
- gas is running if 6k is reached
- New Intake Leaks
- reconnect playplugs
- MAF
- Dont go to autozone with their bad MAF's
- Yes it will
Old 10-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I got a question...woulda posted it in a new thread..but I'm new... (92 SE Auto) 170k miles

Driving down the highway...start to go up an incline on the highway and it dies. Starts back up. I thought I ran out of gas cause my guage doesnt work. Fill er up runs fine. 5 hours later I get off work drive her home sputtering a bit uphill but not bad...if i had just run out of gas that would be expected so I thought nothing of it.

The next day I start 'er up goes to 1k rpm then to 500 and dies. You step on the gas and it barely wants to do anything (bad sputtering etc) untill about 4500-6000 rpm then it seems fine. Burns tons of white smoke though and a noxious smell not like gas (even b4 I drilled holes in my cat,) heh. I changed the fuel filter cleaned the intake. Even drilled a few holes in my cat. converter. added some injector cleaner. Nothing worked.

So playing around, I unplugged the Mass airflow Sensor and it started idleing like a champ (was already hot from reving motor). Ran good as long as you stay below 2200 rpm which is ECU "safe mode" from what I read. Went to autozone they wanted 180$ after core charge...luckily I convinced them to let me try it b4 i bought it. Because after I installed it, plugged it in and the motor instantly died. Leads look fine as far as I can tell on the plug cant see any problems with any of the wires comming off it. Found out today, that it only runs fairly well with MAF unplugged if its at normal operating temperature cold it still sputters and dies but nothing like when its plugged in. Even when warm it sputters a bit going up hill. Fuel pump isnt even a year old so I'm doubting its that. Can't see any probs with any vacume lines. Any ideas?
Mine used to sputter like crazy and didnt go past 2000 RPMs, got new MAF and worked fine...well I also got all drive belts, thermostat, waterpump, tune up and oil change but I think the main one that helped stop sputtering and shutting off was the MAF which was $140
Old 10-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Like I said I tried a new MAF but it did the exact same thing as the old 1...whether autozone has crappy MAF or not they should at least work at 1 point...
Old 10-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Wiking
- Intake leak, sticking IACV
- MAF
- Coolant level ok?
- gas is running if 6k is reached
- New Intake Leaks
- reconnect playplugs
- MAF
- Dont go to autozone with their bad MAF's
- Yes it will
-Can't see any leaks dunno if safe mode would make it run better if iacv was sticking not sure..
-k
-yeah it doesnt leak radiator fluid what so ever...and doesnt get hot didnt start the white smoke untill it really started sputtering badly.
-i figured when i replaced fuel filter and it shot gas in my mouth
-like i said not that i can see
-only 1 i unplugged was MAF
-thats what i thought untill they let me try a brand new 1
-only place around me except advance auto parts which is an extra 2 miles and like i said i plugged theirs in and it died exactly the same as the old 1 which still looks brand new on the inside at least...
Old 10-20-2005, 12:51 AM

...they should at least work at 1 point...
I am with you. They should work.

If ECU does not receive the signal right, doesnt matter how/what MAF is like.

read http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Old 10-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does it run decent with the MAF unplugged because it defaults into safe mode...or can I unplug other sensors to get the same result...haven't tried, but driving to work down the highway staying below 2200 rpm is a real pain in the *****...Trying to narrow down my options here cause I'm broke after getting a new axle and battery in the last 2 weeks.

I've always had a Love/Hate relationship with this car...
Love to drive it. Hate to fix it, heh.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:08 AM

...Love to drive it. Hate to fix it, heh.
wassup? max safe mode drivin is maybe like pushin a blown wheeled cart with heavy stolen safe, in the blk night. Pain itself. Then suddendly bright lights all around...

Minimum sensors u got to have, is working MAF, TPS, campos. 'All others' u may bypass one way or another, get on gas guzzlin w/o the safe (mode).
Old 10-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I have to get to work somehow...and if i plug the MAF in it wont idle...and runs super lean and crappy by the smell and the white smoke I'm guessing. Yeah try merging on the highyway when the onramp is a nice sized hill and you cant go above 2200 rpm lol.

Even with 2200 rpm limit its not much worse than my last car...a 92 mercury topaz 2.3L

I don't even know where to start to fix the prob...I guess i'll have to keep puttering along untill i can take it to a shop and have them hook it up to a computer
Old 10-21-2005, 01:25 AM

Get a 40$ loan for junkyard MAF. Another forty for the gas to get there...
Old 10-21-2005, 01:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What you think the MAF i got from AZ was bad? They let me try a brand new one for free...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:13 AM

What you think the MAF i got from AZ was bad? ...
News to me ...still lots spares are DOA. Go and tst.

Have u tested the other sensors? Plugs? Coilpacks? Fuel filter, injectors ok? Vacuum leaks? Connectors? Bad alt (tst drive w/o alt)...
Old 10-21-2005, 05:19 AM
mod or sell?

What you think the MAF i got from AZ was bad? They let me try a brand new one for free...
it was a rebuilt one, not new.
and any part from autozone has a 50% chance of being wrong or defective.
all rebuilt parts from AZ have a 75% chance of being wrong or defective
Old 10-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sweet...what autozone have the wrong info in thier database for 3rd gens? I know 92 se's are kinda tricky cause of the new layout. I know theres 4 different axles for 92's any way i can test the MAF? Any other ideas where I can get one that will work...besides Nissan.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:36 AM

one thing you should check is for vacuum leaks and cracked gaskets.....since you are at 170k miles i htink it would be a good place to start..check intake manifolds with aome throttle body/air intake cleaner and spray along where things bolt together...if engine revs, there is your leak......you never know it might be something very stupid...dont just go throwing money into the car and hope that is what it is.....you could spend alot of money and it could have been a $5 part. that is some food for thought
Old 10-21-2005, 02:23 PM
mod or sell?

Any other ideas where I can get one that will work...besides Nissan.
junkyard.
used from another orger.
I actually have one that I pulled from my old maxbefore they took it
Old 10-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

there is a hose i found today that isnt plugged in to anything it comes from well under the air box. It has some clip attached about the half the circumference as the main radiator hose (apparently it clipped to something to hold it in place i guess) and the hose is "J" shaped on top but i can't see where the damn thing plugs in. It has no marks like it had ever been screwed in place with a bracket. its almost long enough to reach the top of the fuel filter im assuming it plugs in somewhere much lower...any ideas?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:22 AM

A/T breather hose.

How to tst MAF; p.9
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/1