3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Chris 91SE,let me explain once again.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2000, 08:28 AM

I assume you arent familiar with the problem i mentioned withthe shifter bushing or have had the shifting problem. but its very common and many people on the board have had the problem, and fixed. the person that posted right after you on my previous post has had the same problem. check it out.. its not necessarily slipping. so, someone that knows the problem, knows that that the car isnt "all the way" engaged in drive and may shift abruptly into drive , or may shift fine, or may not shift only if on a hill. as he explains, you can park on a hill, but engage the parking brake before allowing the parking GEAR brake to catch... that way the car is resting on the brake rather than the gear brake and can shift into any gear fine. now what i tried to explain was... when parked on a slope or not, to prevent troublesome shifting, after the shifter is in the drive position, do not stomp on the pedal to drive away.....use minimal throttle for a second or two and then step on it as hard as you want....and the problem is usually non existant. as for what the problem is, the Dealer says its another cable that wears, and gets stretched, so doesnt stay snug. Thank You
Old 08-24-2000, 08:49 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by LarryR
I assume you arent familiar with the problem i mentioned withthe shifter bushing or have had the shifting problem. but its very common and many people on the board have had the problem, and fixed. the person that posted right after you on my previous post has had the same problem. check it out.. its not necessarily slipping. so, someone that knows the problem, knows that that the car isnt "all the way" engaged in drive and may shift abruptly into drive , or may shift fine, or may not shift only if on a hill. as he explains, you can park on a hill, but engage the parking brake before allowing the parking GEAR brake to catch... that way the car is resting on the brake rather than the gear brake and can shift into any gear fine. now what i tried to explain was... when parked on a slope or not, to prevent troublesome shifting, after the shifter is in the drive position, do not stomp on the pedal to drive away.....use minimal throttle for a second or two and then step on it as hard as you want....and the problem is usually non existant. as for what the problem is, the Dealer says its another cable that wears, and gets stretched, so doesnt stay snug. Thank You

that cleared it up a bit for me about what you meant by giving gas....i know my problem was the bushing and when i replaced them my problems were soved...im not an auto tranny expert so i cant make a diagnosis as to what your problems are...i would ask the dealer what cable it is they are talking about and either mention it on the board and look it up in the FSM....im sure they can tell you exactly which one it is and most likely its a simple swap from the old to the new..

sorry for any confusion....since its apparent that more people have a similar problem (i remember 1 maybe 2 other people mentioning this) then 1 person needs to get it straightened out so others can learn....its better than some moron trying to rape you of money when it can be a couple $ part and he charges you $100 in labor or whatever

good luck