3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG to VE (VTC fix)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 03:42 PM
kthxbye2u

VG to VE (VTC fix)

ok so...the the VE VTC is messed up...1994 they fixed that bug correct?...sooo im wondering if i can get the VG sprocket onto a VE... would it be a direct SWAP with no modifications not the WHOLE VG swap im asking about the VTC being interchangable...u know?

thanks in advance
Old 11-04-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

Please think about this for more than 10 seconds and see if you can answer your own question. Hint. The answer isn't in the area of cam timing. It's much, much simplier than that.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:06 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Please think about this for more than 10 seconds and see if you can answer your own question. Hint. The answer isn't in the area of cam timing. It's much, much simplier than that.

Hehe..owned..
Old 11-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You're probably gonna get flamed for that but the simple answer to your question is not even close. You should read up on the 2 different engines.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm needing a caw

In his defense, I've already thought about eliminating the VTC assembly. The answer doesn't lie in the VG motor though. No need to go beyond the VE engine
Old 11-04-2005, 04:33 PM

I thought about this the other day... I may look at the engine I've gotten out of mine when I have some time to play. You may could use 2 exhaust sprockets in place of the VTCs. The main trick would be getting it timed right. I wouldn't try it without a degree wheel and dial indicator though. As long as my new engine doesn't tick too bad I would want to leave the VTCs in and working. I put kits in them but haven't ran the engine yet (maybe tomorrow) so I don't know what to expect.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:43 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

just rebuild the vtc's and be on your way its the simplest solution.....
Old 11-04-2005, 04:51 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
just rebuild the vtc's and be on your way its the simplest solution.....

Where have you been.......
Old 11-04-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yup. I'm sure you would have to re-index them and drill the hole in the right spot. Or try to find a good compromise inbetween the retard/advanced positions. When you 1st start your engine, it will probably clack and scare you do death. Then once the hydraulic lifters pump it, it will quiet down (I hope)

Originally Posted by Grace_Imports
I thought about this the other day... I may look at the engine I've gotten out of mine when I have some time to play. You may could use 2 exhaust sprockets in place of the VTCs. The main trick would be getting it timed right. I wouldn't try it without a degree wheel and dial indicator though. As long as my new engine doesn't tick too bad I would want to leave the VTCs in and working. I put kits in them but haven't ran the engine yet (maybe tomorrow) so I don't know what to expect.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Where have you been.......

desperatly trying to get cash together to get another VE 5speed. I want an aztec red with black leather interior....mmmmmmm....r.ed.....
Old 11-04-2005, 05:03 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Yup. I'm sure you would have to re-index them and drill the hole in the right spot. Or try to find a good compromise inbetween the retard/advanced positions. When you 1st start your engine, it will probably clack and scare you do death. Then once the hydraulic lifters pump it, it will quiet down (I hope)

after doing vtc's manually turn the motor to prime the chain tensioners as they operate from the engines oil pressure. starting the motor after taking it apart like that and not priming it equalz.....(what happened to mine)....
Old 11-04-2005, 05:05 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

desperatly trying to get cash together to get another VE 5speed. I want an aztec red with black leather interior....mmmmmmm....r.ed.....

I will keep my eyes peeled for one..

Internetautomart is right...They always come back....
Old 11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

haha i never wanted to leave but cash flow was getting tight.....but im back...well sort of, till i get that ve 5
Old 11-04-2005, 05:40 PM

after doing vtc's manually turn the motor to prime the chain tensioners as they operate from the engines oil pressure. starting the motor after taking it apart like that and not priming it equalz.....(what happened to mine)....
All Nissan chain tensioners that I have seen are preloaded with spings. Everytime you start the engine there will be a moment that the tension are not pressurized from engine oil but the springs do keep tension on the chains. What exactly happened to your engine?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:49 PM

weld the inside and the outside of the VTC together and eliminate the ticking forever
Old 11-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Way out West

[voice of sheriff/mechanic from National Lampoon's Vacation] How much you got?[/voice]
Old 11-04-2005, 06:43 PM

just chiming in that hopefully he meant the VG30DE(TT) and not the VG30E. that would be my guess as to what he was getting at. but, most of above probably still applies.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:55 AM
kthxbye2u

i basically feel retarded...listening to my friend i swear he made me ask...like i said before im not an in-depth car fanatic lol but i do love them sorry for dumb question
Old 11-05-2005, 01:16 PM

Don't sweat it. I didn't mean for my post to sound course but I figured we would be seeing some flames. It seems like sometimes people get flamed for not knowing as much as the next guy which isn't necessarily fair. People on here that are planning on putting an RB into a Max should be getting flamed.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:48 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

All Nissan chain tensioners that I have seen are preloaded with spings. Everytime you start the engine there will be a moment that the tension are not pressurized from engine oil but the springs do keep tension on the chains. What exactly happened to your engine?

yes they are preloaded with springs but those springs are weak. ever play with one of the tensioners ? to make a long story short i took my vtc's out, had nissan rebuild them and went to put them back in. everything was fine i lined up the proper gold and silver teeth on the chain in their respective locations on the intake vtc and exhaust sproket but never primed the engine i hit the key the chain jumped a few teeth and blew my heads to high heaven. just be safe it may not happen to you but it only takes a few seconds to prime it......
Old 11-05-2005, 05:54 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
[voice of sheriff/mechanic from National Lampoon's Vacation] How much you got?[/voice]
LOL almost missed your post....now you know better than to ask that question. if i say i have x amount and if your asking 1000 less than x your taking what im offering and i get screwed out of 1000 bucks. come on thats major mods right there throw me a price and some info on the car and links to pics and ill pm you my email is 2001pathfinderle@comcast.net basic info ill be looking for is whats been replaced such as the things these cars are infamous for such as knock sensor and harness and vtc's ttyl
Old 11-06-2005, 10:07 AM
kthxbye2u

sooo is it like roughly around $600 to repair the VTC?...
Old 11-06-2005, 10:35 AM

The spring is strong enough to keep the chain from jumping like that. That's why they are in there. I really think you had another issue but that's my opinion. I've done tons of timing chains on Nissans and never had to prime the tensioner.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:36 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
sooo is it like roughly around $600 to repair the VTC?...

Very roughly.....

All depends on the labor rate in your area, experience of the mechanic doing the work,etc....
Old 11-06-2005, 06:44 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

The spring is strong enough to keep the chain from jumping like that. That's why they are in there. I really think you had another issue but that's my opinion. I've done tons of timing chains on Nissans and never had to prime the tensioner.
the spring in the tensioner was no good it wasnt strong enough on that initial start up without oil pressure. the front bank tensioner was ok jsut the rear tensioner decided to go...
Old 11-06-2005, 07:31 PM

the spring in the tensioner was no good it wasnt strong enough on that initial start up without oil pressure. the front bank tensioner was ok jsut the rear tensioner decided to go...
That sucks...I've never seen that happen but that's not to say it can't happen. Pretty much any Nissan with a chain will not have applied oil pressure until it is started. On the old L series and the NAPS-Z you would hear a brief rattle on a cold start-up until it picked up oil pressure. To most people, it just meant that the engine was finally broken in. If you had chain noise after warm-up then you'd know it was time to replace it. A VE is a different beast than the old Datsun motors but some of the theory is the same. I did the head on my z24 this year and managed to let the plunger pop out. It ran fine but was just noisy as hell, so the truck got treated to a new timing kit. I would think that it would have had to have been a metalurgy problem (defect?) or something along the lines of that for that spring to do that.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:48 PM

The answer doesn't lie in the VG motor though. No need to go beyond the VE engine
Long ago answered I'm sure but I'm not always tuned in to the rest of the world:

How much different *is* the VTC from a VG30DE than the VE's? I know they do the same thing, just on different heads. OK... the VG is a belt drive. Since I've never held either in my hands, are they completely different? I mean, like, can they be semi-Frankensteined in any way?

C'mon... you thought about it once before you knew.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm needing a caw

Maybe he forgot to undo the little latch?

Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm needing a caw

I don't know. I haven't seen a VG30DE vtc assembly. They look diff on the outside. They have the electrical connections right on them and the cap that you can see looks different. But I do hear they fail on the Zs also.

Originally Posted by JC93SE
Long ago answered I'm sure but I'm not always tuned in to the rest of the world:

How much different *is* the VTC from a VG30DE than the VE's? I know they do the same thing, just on different heads. OK... the VG is a belt drive. Since I've never held either in my hands, are they completely different? I mean, like, can they be semi-Frankensteined in any way?

C'mon... you thought about it once before you knew.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:40 AM

I think the latch would be a good bet. The VTC for the VG30DE is not even close. The GA16DE and VH45DE are closer but I haven't had them side by side. I don't know of either of those 2 having problems.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:25 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=441412 <-----only red maxima i love!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm needing a caw

desperatly trying to get cash together to get another VE 5speed.
+

Originally Posted by tripleGmax

Do not equate.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:35 AM
mod or sell?

+

Do not equate.
why not?

reality + fantasy = dreams
Old 11-23-2005, 10:04 PM

+

Do not equate.
if you grow a pair, it equates perpetually.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:34 AM
kthxbye2u

sooo on wensday i went to the nissan dealership and i ask the guy about the VTC... he said they dont make the rebuild kits anymore...and 1 VTC costs apporx $600 , dang mann my car keeps getting lower and lower... my abs actuater is leaking...thats about $900 my master and slave cylinders are both leaking and my window controller fell in my DOOR! lol sheesh lewiis!! this is crazy its a strong car none the less but now i think ima sell it :-/ idk ill see whats going on
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 AM

You can order the kits from Courtesy for about $30 each. Send me the kits and the VTCs and I will rebuild the pair for $50 plus shipping back to you.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:47 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
sooo on wensday i went to the nissan dealership and i ask the guy about the VTC... he said they dont make the rebuild kits anymore...and 1 VTC costs apporx $600 , dang mann my car keeps getting lower and lower... my abs actuater is leaking...thats about $900 my master and slave cylinders are both leaking and my window controller fell in my DOOR! lol sheesh lewiis!! this is crazy its a strong car none the less but now i think ima sell it :-/ idk ill see whats going on
so basically the car you have is a rolling road hazard and you should be arrested for driving it.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:43 PM

Cranking the engine by hand is not fast enough for the oil pump to generate any pressure at all, it has to do with the way they work. If you cranked the engine by hand and generated pressure you would have seen oil spray out the top end.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:23 PM

When you crank the engine by hand, you can hear those chains clank as they get loose when the engine turns. They are so wek, I thought there was something wrong with them (in 4G63 tensioners have oil pressurized inside). I don't know what you guys mean by priming, but I just cranked the engine a couple of times by hand.
By the way, it cost about $500 to get rebuilt VTC's ($185), water pump ($56), knock sensor $68), O2 sensor ($35), plus radiator houses, belts, fluids etc., etc. It was a pain in the **s to get it done, I thought I'll never finish. But besides a couple vacuum leaks, it started up and runs fine. VTC's ticked for a minute or so, haven't heard them since.