3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 02:45 PM

keyless entry

us spec gxe maximas came with keyless entry doorhandles. se models didnt. have any of you converted your se to the gxe door handles?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:17 PM

I bought my max and it has been sitting for over a year. The keyless entry does nothing. It doesn't beep or anything when I press the buttons. I was thinking about going to the junkyard and buying another module that goes under the glove box but I am not sure if this would help. Where should I start?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

this topic had been discussed a while back, and I believe one of our resident experts declares that while it is possible, it will be more trouble than its worth, mainly right at the part where you will be ripping your dash apart to run extra wires thats needed for the keyless entry novel.

for gapboi210, you shouls start at examining the touch pad, sometimes they do go bad, then move up the chain from there. Word of advice though, most of the electronics in the 3rd gen have a cold solder problem (search it up if you don't know what it means), so over time, the joints will stop making contact with the circuit trace on the board, so just by taking apart the actual control circuit and reflowing the solder solves the problem MOST of the time.

Happy b-lated thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:32 PM

Both of the pads don't light or anything on the car. This was leading me to believe that it is something else besides the pads. Wehn I first bought the car, the passenger side would beep faintly. I tried to reprogram by entering the 7 digits off the module but it never did the long beep, the car sat for appx. 7-8 months and the keyless now doesn't do anything at all.

Oh yeah, by the way my security light does not come on ever on the dash even when it is started. Is this related?
Old 11-25-2005, 07:18 PM

check your fuses and all electrical contacts, might have corroded over, also, watch out for squirrel, mouse, or other small furry animal burrowing insides your engine compartment, eating the electrical wires. Your security light is not suppose to come when the car is started, check the bulb itself, maybe it's been blown. but seeing how both of those things kinda tied together, I would double check the fuse panels, and be on the look out for chewed out wires.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:46 PM

do you know where the wires are? There was mouse crap all over the car
Old 11-26-2005, 04:16 PM

there are wires all over the car....if u had mouse crap all over the car I would be checking every one of them before driving.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:04 PM
mod or sell?

yeah, if there was mouse crap on the car, there is a fairly good chance they ate some wires.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:27 AM

Well so far that seems to be the only thing that isn't working. And the crap was unly under the hood not inside the vehicle.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:04 PM

i checked and I don't see any frayed wires anywhere, Just some background on the car, it was broken into and the stereo and rear speakers were stolen. It has sit for about a year. The security light does not ever come on. Both key pads are dead, they do not beep nor light up. Also I noticed that the lights on the door panels do not ever come on when you open any of the doors. However, the dome light does work. Any ideas that this could be linked to one faulty relay or something?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

my alarm light does not work either, stopped working around same time that my windshield wipers went..and if wiking is reading this..I unplugged the motor and put in a fuse and it still blew it so doubt its the motor.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:52 PM

kidna off subject buti have a gxethat i am currently switching to a 5sp but yeahi have the keyless entrery and well i don't know the code on how to get it to opent he doors does anyone know where tyo get the code or cnai just to like a nissian dealership and they can tell me please e-mail me at dan.the.asian@gmail.com
Old 11-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by hotsoysauce
kidna off subject buti have a gxethat i am currently switching to a 5sp but yeahi have the keyless entrery and well i don't know the code on how to get it to opent he doors does anyone know where tyo get the code or cnai just to like a nissian dealership and they can tell me please e-mail me at dan.the.asian@gmail.com
Here is the link on how to reprogram your keyless entry:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/454290/7
Old 11-28-2005, 06:46 PM

gapboi210-

I had a similar problem but not the security light problem or door lights. It turns out I used a hose to wash my car and it was too powerful it cracked one of my keypads and then water got in and they stopped working. I just took my door panel off and then took out the keypad and put in another one from a junkyard car and good as new. You just have to take out the old one two screws hold it in and then cut two wires and then resolder them to the one from junkyard. I might actually have one extra pad(passenger) laying around I'll have to check when I go back home in a few weeks.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by generation3
gapboi210-

I had a similar problem but not the security light problem or door lights. It turns out I used a hose to wash my car and it was too powerful it cracked one of my keypads and then water got in and they stopped working. I just took my door panel off and then took out the keypad and put in another one from a junkyard car and good as new. You just have to take out the old one two screws hold it in and then cut two wires and then resolder them to the one from junkyard. I might actually have one extra pad(passenger) laying around I'll have to check when I go back home in a few weeks.
You know, I was thinking about doing that cuz a couple of my buttons are out and actually the whole thing aint working anymore. Sometimes I press the button to lock the doors and it works but very rare..thats just the keypad right?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 PM

Thanks generation3 for the info, could this cause the lights on the door panels to quit working and the entire security syetm to quit too? Also the trunk light doesnt work either. All fuses seem good and i replaced the bulb. Hmmmm odd
Old 11-29-2005, 09:44 AM

gapboi210- If your door lights and trunk light don't work and your fuses are fine then it probably is the sensors. The little black plastic pieces that are supposed to detect when the door is open or closed. like for your refrigerator. I'm not sure about the security system being down because your keypad doesn't work maybe. The wire harness for the alarm system is right next to the harness for the keypad so maybe. When I replaced my keypad the alarm worked I don't remember if it didn't before I replaced it. If you need pictures I'll take some on the weekend.

columbianmax- yeah I had a few buttons work on random days too. Interesting enough when I replaced the drivers one the majority of the passenger pads started working after they had been out for a while. Yeah look for a tiny crack in the pad and most likely you can just take out the keypad and put in another one hook up some wires and good as new. I'll try to get pictures for you'll later if you need them.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:47 AM

Excellent, although right now my main concern would be a cluster with working temp gauge since I dont know if my car is over heating or not. Could a messed up cluster mess up the alarm light? doubt its the lightbulb itself
Old 11-29-2005, 03:56 PM

I dunno if it is the door switches. Because the trunk light, and none of the lights on the door panels are coming on. I noticed also the light on my shifter isn't coming, I changed the bulb too. These all have to be powered from a common place somewhere.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by gapboi210
I dunno if it is the door switches. Because the trunk light, and none of the lights on the door panels are coming on. I noticed also the light on my shifter isn't coming, I changed the bulb too. These all have to be powered from a common place somewhere.
Well ultimately it is the battery. Backtracking from the battery though you're running through different relays, fuse box fuses, etc and trunk, doors, security system, dome light, shifter light, etc are not all on the same wire so it sounds like you have a major wiring problem.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:04 PM

Is there anything connected to the gound battery cable? I have 2 ground cables. I had to replace the motor and there was a ground attached to the motor already. Plus the original one. I dont see it connected to anything. The car starts and the headlights, windows, power door locks work.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:11 PM

ok I got it working, but the sticker on the module is so aged that it cannot be read. So I dunno what the master code is, If i change that module to one with a legible sticker, will that change the master code for entire system as well?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:13 PM
mod or sell?

pretty sure it will
Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM

I don't know if your the first owner or not but when my folks got the car the code was also on a keychain written on a metal tag. Maybe the dealer will tell you cause they could probably track it down with VIN number. Might need proof of ownership though.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
ok I got it working, but the sticker on the module is so aged that it cannot be read. So I dunno what the master code is, If i change that module to one with a legible sticker, will that change the master code for entire system as well?
yes; the "logic" for the codes is within the circuit of the unit.

when you hook up the new one, the system will use the logic that was designed to work with it..which is within it and has nothing to do with the rest of the car.

you didnt by chance steal this car did you? haha.
the electrical problems your speak of sound like the security system has disabled certain features of the vehicle via not relaying a circuit through it...kind of a way of letting you know that its not working or has been disabled.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:50 PM

trust me this car aint stolen, it just recently has had a motor put in it and one of the wheel bearings is shot, no power steering hoses, no alternator belt, horrible exhaust leak, someone already stole the stereo and rear speakers. now i need to replace the driver's side keypad. Is this difficult?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:20 PM

i would have the manifold studs drilled out and replaced before i put the engine in because you cant get the qualified machinists to drill them out of a sideways six engine when its in a car. those studs like to break off because the vg engine has a lot more torque than it really should...it outweighs the horsepower (whereas the ve30de's specs go hand in hand)this is probably the cause of the exhaust leak...if so, your exhaust manifolds arent clamped on fully because a few probably broke. that or the flex section has a hole in it. could be a problem over time.

alternator belts need changed regularly; id get a lighter/performance crankshaft pulley when doing that...they usually weigh 2/3s of the weiight of the stock pulley...which is a lot because theres a lot of horsepower lost in the process of turning all of the pulleys because of the weight of the actual pulley!

if the stereo that was stolen was stock, they did you a favor...id replace the stock stereo anyhow because they dont like new cd-r technology or cds over 70 minutes for that matter...and the maximum volume on it is outdated as well. and the rear speakers are known to go out.
my started to not want to give me my cds back...i actually had to take it out (i put my pioneer in because i was sick of the old one) and take it apart to get my jerry cantrell cd out of it!!!

i havent replaced a keypad, but it cant be too hard; probably a few screws and a few plugs, etc.
getting through the door panel itself may be a *****.

in short, sounds like you have a classic 3rd gen gxe maxima (haha..its okay...im pretty sure either the previous owners of my car or i myself have repaired the above problems on my gxe too) and everything that goes wrong just hasnt been fixed yet.

ill take a 3rd gen ve30de manual over a 4th or 5th gen any day...they just kept getting cheaper on the interior and materials over time. i havent drove a 6th gen yet:
i like the whole "0-60 in 5.9 secs thing", but im sad that they have turned the maxima into the japanese import Lincoln Town Car and made the Altima the new 4DSC!
I remember looking at the old altimas and saying "eww...glad i own a maxima"
Now i see the se-r 3.5 altima se and say "damn; i need to establish some major credit" hahaha.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:52 PM

well sucks to be me cause the motor is already in
Old 12-08-2005, 06:24 PM

It's Working! I pulled the module apart because the sticker with the codes on it was faded and unreadable. I pulled apart the glove box and trim piece to get to the module. After pulling the module out and taking it apart, BAM! there was another label inside with the code. So now I just need to replace the drivers side keypad. Anyone have just the pad for sale?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:14 AM

Yeah, I gotta try this to reset my code as well.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:40 AM

well, here i am reading almost the same problem i had... refer to my old post
here. unable to search the forum, but thats what google is for!!

part 1
keypad fix

part 2
keypad fix pictures

there are a bunch of pictures of my fix for the dead keypads in the second post.