3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Valet Key

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 09:42 PM

Valet Key

Hey, I bought my '90 GXE and I am guessing that the key that I have is a valet key. The one and only key that I have only operates the driver's side door and ignition. It does not work the glovebox, passenger door, or trunk. The local Nissan Stealership said that the groves on the key were different but the cut was the same. So all I had to do was nake a copy of my valet on a nissan blank and.. suprise! fully functional key.

Wrong! LOL I now basically have 2 valet keys.

How can I get a key that works the trunk and everything else?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Im izz sexay

Dealer has to make it.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:46 PM

nissan dealership should help you, but they wont because they want your money; they told me they would never be able to tell me the keypad code for my car...even though its on a sticker located on the door lock brain hidden behind the glove box!

douche bags.

im in the same situation; the dude i bought mine from still has the original, TINY, master key; all i have is this copy of a valet key.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:53 PM

dealership said they can make a master key off the vin but they can only go back as far 1994. So, what do I do now.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by alextothestars
nissan dealership should help you, but they wont because they want your money;.
They do want your money but that isn't true in this case. Not anyone can make a master key. That's like me bringing my mother's altima valet key (if she has one) and go tell a locksmith to make it a master key. I don't even think they can do it as they would hav to mess with the ign and everything else and nissan already know what your key probably is. I would rather pay in this case than have someone mess with my cars components especially because of a key. It probably won't cost much anyways.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by gapboi210
dealership said they can make a master key off the vin but they can only go back as far 1994. So, what do I do now.
try another dealership and see what they say.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:00 PM

on the topic of lock, does anyone know the specs on fixing the automatic door locks? i was told to search for info on the door lock timers, but i havent found ****.

is this just a solder job or a replacement, and either way, is this the brain located behind the glove box?

im damn tired of unlocking my girlfriend's door manually !
Old 11-29-2005, 10:05 PM

doesnt anyone know what the diffence is in the actual key? I was thinking if they did, then the new key could be cut compensating for the difference
Old 11-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Im izz sexay

on the topic of lock, does anyone know the specs on fixing the automatic door locks? i was told to search for info on the door lock timers, but i havent found ****.

is this just a solder job or a replacement, and either way, is this the brain located behind the glove box?

im damn tired of unlocking my girlfriend's door manually !

Your timer may be busted. I don't know for sure though,
Old 11-29-2005, 10:10 PM

the owners manual shows the two designs and how you can tell the difference; its 30 degrees out and im too lazy to run to my car, but the real key looks really funny; very thin...no oval plastic, but a wedgelike handle to it....
Old 11-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by gapboi210
doesnt anyone know what the diffence is in the actual key? I was thinking if they did, then the new key could be cut compensating for the difference
They need a mold of the master. You can't blindly cut a key. They are given specs that are programmed to be cut at according to VIN. Just try another dealership. If that doesn't work change locks to a 94 model and you're good to go.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Im izz sexay

the owners manual shows the two designs and how you can tell the difference; its 30 degrees out and im too lazy to run to my car, but the real key looks really funny; very thin...no oval plastic, but a wedgelike handle to it....

On second thought be a gentleman and open the door for her. That means get out the car, walk around to her side, give her a hug and kiss, then open the door for her. Trust me parents love to see a guy do this for their daughter. It also increases probability.

Back on topic
I think that you need a new door lock timer IIRC. It's not the thing under the glove box. That actually is the kepad control box. Somebody more experienced at this may chime in later in the late morning as it is kinda late and ppl have work and school (like me)

Good night
Old 11-29-2005, 10:22 PM

the timer is at least intermittant because when its below 20 degrees, they work; then sometimes they will lock themselves and you have to ****** rig the door open because whilst you are unlocking it with the key, it locks its self...so you have to unlock it...keep the key turned and pull the handle to get in.

i hear a clicking somewhere beneath my gauges in the dash when i try locking the doors...id solder if i knew what i were looking for other than a loose component.

digital climate lighting is same way; im better off just buying a new one, and repairing the old one and selling it, though
Old 11-30-2005, 05:07 AM
mod or sell?

sometimes you can be lucky and still have the master key code on a sticker in your glovebox.

if your glovebox is unlocked, and it doesn't have the sticker, just remove the lock and take it along with your valet key to a locksmith and ask him to make a key.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If is is a valet key it should still open the passenger door.??? My dealership made me a master key from the VIN on a 93. From the VIN they found the original dealer. What really needs to happen to get it from the VIN is to get in contact with the ORIGINAL dealer to get the keycode from their records.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:01 AM

when i got my car,
it came with the original keys,
they were: master keys, small black key, red key,
i lost the red key, master keys is broken, still have the small key,
and that small key opens the doors, the glove box, the trunk, and anything else that has the locks,
so if any of you guys still have the small black key try it and see if it open all the locks on your car,
Old 11-30-2005, 09:01 AM

as i stated, i myself contacted the dealership that sold the car brand new and they told me that there was no way that they could ever tell.

at $60 an hour, what use is a nissan mechanic when they don't know that you can simply look up behind the glovebox with a flashlight and find the code on a gold-tinted box...id hate to think that theyre that incapable.

if the sticker is missing off of the unit behind the glovebox, i guess youre sol unless you want to call one of the car's previous owners and ask them if they remember it (i almost did this until i found out where to find the code). this might need to be done anyhow if the past users changed the passcode before. its worth a try if you have any records of the owners.

i deliver pizzas, so i know exactly where the first owners live because they left a receipt for their trade in, which had their address and phone, (from when they bought the maxima) in the manual. good ole' upper middle class couple that live in a 200k house.

may take some detective work...
Old 11-30-2005, 09:04 AM

The door lock timer is right under the dash piece that is right by your knee's when you drive, its a little metal box labeled quite cleverly, door lock timer, i think its right beside the stock alarm system box
Old 11-30-2005, 09:12 AM

can it be soldered or is this something that totally needs replaced?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Alex_V

Either. If your lucky just touching up the connections with solder will bring it back to life. Mines doing the same thing, Im going to fix that tonight. Its usually bad solder joints, with our cars about 15 years old solder tends to crack pretty easy with all the heat and cooling cycles they go through.

~Alex

Old 11-30-2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by VD Providah
On second thought be a gentleman and open the door for her. That means get out the car, walk around to her side, give her a hug and kiss, then open the door for her. Trust me parents love to see a guy do this for their daughter. It also increases probability.

Good night
what on earth are you talking about? lol
Old 11-30-2005, 11:12 AM

hahahaha

ive been doing that for the last year; i still do it, but its too ****ing cold to be walking around unlocking doors!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 AM

thanks; like i said, it comes to life when its cold out, so the solder should work.

im not paying the stealership $300 to solder a circuit when im an electrician, hahahah.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:15 AM

any luck on the master key yet?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:43 PM

If You Get The Code Under The Glove Box.its A Lil Gold Box With A Label.starts With A Letter. Has About 8 Numbers. Worked For Me.also You Could Go To A Locksmith With The Code And He Could Make You A Key For About 10 Or 15 Bucks.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 PM

in my "haynes repair manual" the door lock timer is referred to as the "time control unit" and its as you said, next to the "theft warning control unit."

haha. they refer to the ECU as an "E.C.C.S. control unit"...not too different, but enough to cause doubt on these fuel injected cars

digital door lock unit behind the glove box is referred to as "digital touch entry control unit (GXE model)"

hope that helps in your search
Old 11-30-2005, 03:10 PM

dam maybe its not the the right glove box
Old 11-30-2005, 03:52 PM
mod or sell?

my key code was IN the glovebox
Old 11-30-2005, 05:07 PM

are u talking about the code for the keyless?

I am talking about a physical key that you hold in your hand.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:13 PM
mod or sell?

I'm talking about the physical key
Old 11-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Lives in a Maxima

...because whilst you are unlocking it with the key, it locks its self...so you have to unlock it...keep the key turned and pull the handle to get in.
Mine does this also. It seems like it's just a sticky locking mech, not an electronic thing...

When I'm in the car and try manually unlocking the passenger door, it freaks out and fights me, relocking all the doors. All's cool as long as I use the power locks.

In short... it's called "character". It's not something you fix. It's just your car being herself.

On a completely separate note... I wonder if I could wire up a time delay board so that if I hold the key in the unlock position it will unlock all the doors, like on a VW or my wife's Sportage... That would be bad ***... I'm going to work on that... After I fix everything else.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Lives in a Maxima

alextothestars, if you double pump your key in the driver door, it will unlock alll the doors. I just figured this out yesterday, so next time you go to your car, turn the key in the driver's lock twice and see if it works on your car too. This will keep you from being nice and walking around to open your girlfriend's door.