3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

replacing water pump on ve

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:08 PM

replacing water pump on ve

how hard is it to replace the water pump on a ve i dont know if my mechanic is tryin to screw me becuase he says he has to take apart the head just to get the pump he wants 800 timeing chain and pump should i tell him go to hell or what??
Old 11-30-2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by red-line-racer
how hard is it to replace the water pump on a ve i dont know if my mechanic is tryin to screw me becuase he says he has to take apart the head just to get the pump he wants 800 timeing chain and pump should i tell him go to hell or what??

Wow, take apart the HEAD? Tell your mechanic to stick to hondas!!!! j/k!
No, u don't have to take apart the head to get to the water pump, but you do need to remove all the belts to make room for the water pump to be "wiggled" out from the bottom. I did my water pump on a rack and had the old one out and the new one bolted up in about 2 hours. I think there's like 8 bolts holding it in.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:39 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

find a new mechanic.....

Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 AM
mod or sell?

book time is 5.4 hours to R&R the pump. (if I'm reading it right)
he may be assuming he has to do the timing belt at the same time evan though it's actually a chain that doesn't need to be replaced normally
Old 12-01-2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Would this be similar for a VG? Should I try to replace a waterpump or timing belt myself? I don't mind getting dirty.

What book is that from?

Matt
Old 12-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the water pump is not difficult just cramped and you need a lot of patients to get it out and in but very duable
Old 12-01-2005, 02:15 PM

It's easier if you unbolt the Transmission mounts and tip the engine over a bit. That way you can remove the water pump from the top.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Harvs94max
the water pump is not difficult just cramped and you need a lot of patients to get it out and in but very duable

Thanks for the encouragement.

I found some cd manual on ebay. Maybe I'll get that and get my leaking waterpump changed.

Matt
Old 12-01-2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lordrandall
It's easier if you unbolt the Transmission mounts and tip the engine over a bit. That way you can remove the water pump from the top.
Geez. THAT sounds too intense. Maybe going from the bottom up would be easier for me.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by red-line-racer
WOW, and I thought the guy that worked on mine ripped me. I just had my water pump replaced and needed it done fairly quickly and didn't want to deal with it myself so I paid $300 and that was too much.

It is certainly doable yourself but if you don't want to/don't have the time to think definitely find another mechanic.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdGenMaximaMan
WOW, and I thought the guy that worked on mine ripped me. I just had my water pump replaced and needed it done fairly quickly and didn't want to deal with it myself so I paid $300 and that was too much.

It is certainly doable yourself but if you don't want to/don't have the time to think definitely find another mechanic.

i just might do it my self over the spring if i know i cant ill just get it done some where else thanks 4 all the advice ppl
Old 12-01-2005, 03:27 PM
mod or sell?

VE = more labor than the VG I think. Matt?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:35 PM

Personally i think the vg pump is a bit more labor,... neither one were all that tough, even if your not the most experienced mechanic

Jeremy
Old 12-01-2005, 04:54 PM
STFU n00b!

VE is a PITA but doable without much extra work. plan about 6 hours for your first time. I can do it in about 3 now.

the VG requires removal of the timing belt to get to. do the timing belt, cam, and crank seals all at the same time. make a weekend of it for your first time. it's about a 6 hour job for me.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:09 PM
mod or sell?

ok, so I'm wrong.
at least my uncle will be glad to hear that when I finally need a water pump
Old 12-04-2005, 03:56 AM

To those that have removed and replaced a VE's water pump.

How many bolts do you have to be removed in order to get the water pump out? Just the water pump bolts. I have removed two bolts (from the bottom) and two nuts (on top) so far.

Do you have to remove the water pump pulley to get to one of the bolts located just off to the side and behind the pulley? It looks like you have to and I cannot get a tool in there. If yes, then what do you use to remove the bolts to this pulley? I have tried box wrenches, open ended wrenches, ratcheting box wrenches but they are either too short where I am not getting enough leverage to turn the bolts and they are slipping and I don't want to end up rounding off the bolt head.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2005, 05:21 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by G3Max
To those that have removed and replaced a VE's water pump.

How many bolts do you have to be removed in order to get the water pump out? Just the water pump bolts. I have removed two bolts (from the bottom) and two nuts (on top) so far.

Do you have to remove the water pump pulley to get to one of the bolts located just off to the side and behind the pulley? It looks like you have to and I cannot get a tool in there. If yes, then what do you use to remove the bolts to this pulley? I have tried box wrenches, open ended wrenches, ratcheting box wrenches but they are either too short where I am not getting enough leverage to turn the bolts and they are slipping and I don't want to end up rounding off the bolt head.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Yes...the water pump pully has to come off to get the pump out...The bolts on the pulley are 10mm...Do not use a open end wrench to break ANY bolt or nut loose,use the box end of the wrench or socket.... I used a small rachet to break them loose going from the top of the engine bay...leave the w/p pully belt on so it don't turn as much when you are breaking the bolts loose..To get more leverage on a small box end wrench you can use another wrench close end wrench on the open end of the 10mm wrench..pics below..

Box/open end wrench leverage trick...

Small ratchet from the top of engine bay
Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 AM

I just did my VTCs and knock sensor etc. When I pulledmy water pump out to be replaced, the new one from NAPA was slightly different, it had a thicker water pipe, that was more square than the one on the original, and the shaft had a round wheel on it, reather than the cross looking one. That was enough for the new pump not to fit. I had both of the top timing covers off, and everything west of the engine, I mean evrything. I spent 2 hours trying to put it in, and finally ended up putting the old one in. Thank God it looked like it was resently replaced, in perfect condition. I didn't think of taking the transmition mount off, I already had the engine mount off, but I spent way too much time already and I just wanted this whole thing to be put back together. It's a pretty tight fit in there, and you'll have to move stuff like all the hoses etc., etc., to fit it in. To tell you the truth, I'd reather to change the water pump on Acura, or Honda 4cyl., with the timing belt and everyhing. Way too tight in the VE.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:50 AM

BTW, you might want to make sure that the wheel on the shaft, that you attach the pulley to, is croos like, reather than round, that will make sure that the new pump will fit. Aslo, NAPA, as well as many other places have the VG pump listed as the VE pump, make sure that the pump they have looks just like the one in the picture above. Make sure they let you see it in their computer before they order it, soo you didn't have to wait for a wrong one.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:10 AM

Thanks GreenMax, your reply and pictures help. I guess I'll have to break down and get me a set of small socket wrenches to see if it can do the job. Thanks for the tip on connecting two open ended wrenches together. It's off to Sears I go. More tools! Who wouldn't want more tools?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:14 AM

Valz,

Thanks for the heads up about the aftermarket water pump. I don't think I will have the problem since I will be replacing it with an OEM one.

Anyway what did you use to remove the water pump pulley? Did you have to remove the crank pulley as well?

Thanks