3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VQ35 Swap Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:16 PM
STFU n00b!

VQ35 Swap Ideas

car go boom
Old 12-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
It would prolly be cheaper than the VE build I'm going to do.
Would it even be possible to swap the ve for a vq35? What problems would one encounter when doing this swap. If it's possible, I might consider doing it myself. Please don't say "If you're asking, you don't have the ability to do this." I have the money and I'm confident in my abilities.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Alex_V

The only VQ we've seen in a 3rd gen was a VQ30, and it seemed pretty hack. It had the 4th gen gauges, and all kinds of stuff like that. You would need the tranny, but you get your choice of a 5 or 6 speed

You'd need a standalone or all the VQ35 computer stuff. Id vote standalone. sure you have to wire it up but for the ease of tuning, Id do it for sure. But one would have to do more research. It'd be an insane amout of work for sure. Might as well toss IRS w/rwd in the mix with a 350z 6 speed.

~Alex

Old 12-17-2005, 05:43 PM
mod or sell?

it's totally possible, just generally considered not worth it.

you'd need the ECU, harness, trans, to make life easy, the gauge cluster too.
then you'd need to fabricate mounts
Old 12-17-2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
MrGone you couldnt tell I was joking?your sarcasim radar is getting rusty old man

~Alex
sssuuurrreeeee

Originally Posted by todamax
Maybe this is for another thread, but how does one determine what the Maximum lift and duration one can get away with for these cars?
clay the pistons, reassemble (If you simply want to find the maxium before contact I would assemble without gaskets), rotate, disassemble, measure
Old 12-17-2005, 08:03 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by 505max94se
Would it even be possible to swap the ve for a vq35? What problems would one encounter when doing this swap. If it's possible, I might consider doing it myself. Please don't say "If you're asking, you don't have the ability to do this." I have the money and I'm confident in my abilities.
Possible? sure.
would probably be a good idea too since it's so much lighter than the VE.. would make for better handling due to the 150lb less on the nose.
something around 56% front weight instead of 60 like it is from the factory.

the hard part would be making the chassis fit... the mounts are in a completely different layout than the 3 gen and you'd have to rebuild the frame rails to accomodate the mounts..
not to mention the fact all of the gauges are digital on the VQ and all analog on the 3 gen. lots of things that would have to be changed to make them work.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:10 PM
I miss my VE

Matt, I don't mean to question your experience but, is there a chance the nut could have loosened simply because of punishment and age, without it being a torque issue? Or thats just highly unlikely? You do have 200k+ miles on it, and if I remember correctly, you did say you drove it hard all the time.

Anyway, sorry to hear this happened. Probably for the better.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:19 PM

FWIW I'd guess the rod bolt stretched causing the nut to loosen.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:07 AM

Possible? sure.
would probably be a good idea too since it's so much lighter than the VE.. would make for better handling due to the 150lb less on the nose.
something around 56% front weight instead of 60 like it is from the factory.

the hard part would be making the chassis fit... the mounts are in a completely different layout than the 3 gen and you'd have to rebuild the frame rails to accomodate the mounts..
not to mention the fact all of the gauges are digital on the VQ and all analog on the 3 gen. lots of things that would have to be changed to make them work.
I was thinking the same thing about the weight distribution....With a VQ35 up front with the, battery (40lbs) relocated to the trunk, and 150lbs of stereo crap it would roughly be 54/46....although the suspension isn't designed for this kind of weight distribution....

I wouldn't be too worried about the motor mounts....I would mainly be concerned with the engine fitment (of course), electrical (guages), tranny fitment, and driveshafts.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:14 AM
mod or sell?

how similar are the front subframes?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:11 AM

say it with me... unibody
Old 12-18-2005, 06:19 AM
mod or sell?

a unibody still has subframes
Old 12-18-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
how similar are the front subframes?
Maybe you should've said crossmember instead of subframe for mrgone's understanding....I know what you mean.

I did some more research on the vq35 swap and I think the biggest issue I would have is the ecu. The vq35 ecu uses drive by wire....
Old 12-18-2005, 02:20 PM
STFU n00b!

the 4-5-6 gens actually have an entire front subframe on it that holds the engine and suspension. it mounts to the body at 4 points I think. I forget now, but look under the car and you'll see it. completely different design than our 100% unibody front end.

As for the rod bolts stretching, that could be the case as well, but the simple fact is that it came off. this engine has been apart before I bought it, and there were tool marks on the heads of the nuts- so I know the rods have come out of the engine before...
and that was at least 70,000 miles ago. I bought the car with 153,000 on the odometer and it's now got 223,000..
the bolt could have stretched and I haven't measured yet, but the simple fact of the matter is that it came loose while at least 10 of the other 11 bolts held and were still torqued when I did a quick "what about these" check with my ratchet.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:17 PM

Matt, You should do the vq35 swap instead of building the ve....Then you could make a write-up for me, lol.

BTW, sorry for somewhat jacking your thread....
Old 12-18-2005, 03:42 PM

Maybe you should've said crossmember instead of subframe for mrgone's understanding....I know what you mean.

I did some more research on the vq35 swap and I think the biggest issue I would have is the ecu. The vq35 ecu uses drive by wire....
installing a pedal assembly is far easier than building a new set of mounts/cross member IMHO. Maybe just throw a Pathfinder TB on and use the wire.

With the VQ35 I would strongly consider just using an aftermarket ECU, the stock one is not Mod friendly.

Mattchew if you want a thread split say the words
Old 12-18-2005, 03:51 PM
mod or sell?

will the intake from a VQ30 bolt up?
maybe use the ECU and accessories from a VQ30 on it.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
will the intake from a VQ30 bolt up?
maybe use the ECU and accessories from a VQ30 on it.
but it's easier to install a standalone
Old 12-18-2005, 03:55 PM
mod or sell?

I was also thinking about getting around the drive-by system
Old 12-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Alex_V

easy, bolt on TB and done! Then VQ 30 or 35 sensors/ecus work. But better just to do stand alone, like megasquirt if your on a budget....would be much cheaper then a jwt chip that isnt even tuned for your own car. Of course brian my idea would be more unique and faster then a 350z

~Alex

Old 12-18-2005, 05:04 PM
mod or sell?

MS doesn't support COP yet :-\
Old 12-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Alex_V

It will soon. a few poeple are beta testing it now so no one will have an excue soon!

~Alex

Old 12-18-2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
but it's easier to install a standalone
Standalone would still use drive by wire system....You'd have to use either MS(teh gay, No CPS, No COP...), use VE sensors on the VQ35 (if possible), have a custom ECU made (if possible), convert the car to use 4th gen ECU and sensors (PITA), or convert the car to use a vq35 ECU (MAJOR PITA)....

I copied and pasted this from an "All Motor," 3.5 swap, sticky:

"How hard could the wiring for the 02-06 ECU really be?
Here's what JCLAW had to say about that.....

The thing that really f*cks everything up is drive by wire. Sure, you can simply swap in the main harness and not worry about anything else, but then oh no, the drive by wire harness is part of the body/electrical harness, a bunch of taped-together wires the size of your d*ck, pick and choose, find the good one, then you have to buy the steering column from a 02 Altima or Maxima, rip both apart, and try to fit the ignition equipment from the newer car in the older column, which leads to another problem.

Oops, the airbags are on the same harness, so won't work. Then oops, you're trying to fit the 02 Altima drive-by-wire gas pedal and it wont fit, it should be on the floor right where the steering column base is. No problem, just try to shape/weld some complex bracket there so the gas pedal is where it should be.

Then you have to drill 2 1-1.5" holes in your firewall, because the 02 Altima has more electrical hardware in the front than your 4th gen does, and those harnesses are essential because, remember, the drive by wire (10-12 wires I believe) is part of it, so you have to use it, that means you have to rip apart your entire interior, and hope to hell that the 02 Altima you got it from has a sunroof if you have one, if not, no more sunroof.

Then, you have to hope as hell the wires will plug into your electric door motors, and oops, they don't, so you have to buy the 02 Altima door motors for your electrical windows to work, that's in addition to the engine (1 grand), and another grand's worth of ECU, 3 complete wiring harnesses and an electronic gas pedal whose signal no one can crack. So you hope like sh*t that the electrical door motors from the Altima will fit in your 4th gen, but the f*ckers won't! So now you gotta weld complicated brackets into your doors (!!), thus adding weight to your car, just to make the f*cking window motors work!

Then you have to rewire all connectors for every single light in the car, and hope to hell the gauge cluster from the 02 Altima works in your dash... oops, it doesn't. No problem, right? Just cut the dash apart. Then you have to fit all the electrical hardware in the engine bay, in a platform that wasn't made for it.

Fans? Radiator? AC? Forget it. And the transmission? Nope, not the same sensor, plug is different, aw sh*t car won't start, you need the immobilizer. Big black box.

No problem, go back to a junkyard, if you can find one that'll sell it to you. Oops, sold. Get the immobilizer from another car, right? Sh*t, the ECU, ignition key, and immobilizer ALL MUST come from the same car, so if the immobilizer doesn't match the ECU and ignition key of the very same car, it won't start, ever, and since you don't have the same exact immobilizer, means you're quite completely f*cked now, doesn't it?"

NOW I REALLY AM JACKING MATT'S THREAD.... Maybe I should start a new thread....

Shawn....Mattchew?? Threadsplit?? What does this mean?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:04 PM
STFU n00b!

Shawny... start hacking.

you SOBs can talk about your engine swaps all you want (FYI, the 4th gen ECU in a VQ35 is up and running. requires some custom machining of the crank sensor, but can and has been done).

I'll talk about plans for MY car in this thread.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:07 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Alex_V
It will soon. a few poeple are beta testing it now so no one will have an excue soon!

~Alex
I've been hearing that for 2 years already.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:08 PM
mod or sell?

no more comments until after the hackage has occured
Old 12-18-2005, 06:30 PM

Shawny... start hacking.

you SOBs can talk about your engine swaps all you want (FYI, the 4th gen ECU in a VQ35 is up and running. requires some custom machining of the crank sensor, but can and has been done).

Sorry my fault I'll start another thread in a little while.....
Old 12-18-2005, 06:53 PM

Shawny... start hacking.

this upgrade makes deleting posts easier

but splitting threads, not so much

lets get this short bus on the road
Old 12-18-2005, 06:58 PM
mod or sell?

I can't comment much more because I've never looked at the VQ setup.

but the basics that are common to swaps have already been covered.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:59 PM

Standalone would still use drive by wire system....You'd have to use either MS(teh gay, No CPS, No COP...), use VE sensors on the VQ35 (if possible), have a custom ECU made (if possible), convert the car to use 4th gen ECU and sensors (PITA), or convert the car to use a vq35 ECU (MAJOR PITA)....

I copied and pasted this from an "All Motor," 3.5 swap, sticky:

"How hard could the wiring for the 02-06 ECU really be?
Here's what JCLAW had to say about that.....

The thing that really f*cks everything up is drive by wire. Sure, you can simply swap in the main harness and not worry about anything else, but then oh no, the drive by wire harness is part of the body/electrical harness, a bunch of taped-together wires the size of your d*ck, pick and choose, find the good one, then you have to buy the steering column from a 02 Altima or Maxima, rip both apart, and try to fit the ignition equipment from the newer car in the older column, which leads to another problem.

Oops, the airbags are on the same harness, so won't work. Then oops, you're trying to fit the 02 Altima drive-by-wire gas pedal and it wont fit, it should be on the floor right where the steering column base is. No problem, just try to shape/weld some complex bracket there so the gas pedal is where it should be.

Then you have to drill 2 1-1.5" holes in your firewall, because the 02 Altima has more electrical hardware in the front than your 4th gen does, and those harnesses are essential because, remember, the drive by wire (10-12 wires I believe) is part of it, so you have to use it, that means you have to rip apart your entire interior, and hope to hell that the 02 Altima you got it from has a sunroof if you have one, if not, no more sunroof.

Then, you have to hope as hell the wires will plug into your electric door motors, and oops, they don't, so you have to buy the 02 Altima door motors for your electrical windows to work, that's in addition to the engine (1 grand), and another grand's worth of ECU, 3 complete wiring harnesses and an electronic gas pedal whose signal no one can crack. So you hope like sh*t that the electrical door motors from the Altima will fit in your 4th gen, but the f*ckers won't! So now you gotta weld complicated brackets into your doors (!!), thus adding weight to your car, just to make the f*cking window motors work!

Then you have to rewire all connectors for every single light in the car, and hope to hell the gauge cluster from the 02 Altima works in your dash... oops, it doesn't. No problem, right? Just cut the dash apart. Then you have to fit all the electrical hardware in the engine bay, in a platform that wasn't made for it.

Fans? Radiator? AC? Forget it. And the transmission? Nope, not the same sensor, plug is different, aw sh*t car won't start, you need the immobilizer. Big black box.

No problem, go back to a junkyard, if you can find one that'll sell it to you. Oops, sold. Get the immobilizer from another car, right? Sh*t, the ECU, ignition key, and immobilizer ALL MUST come from the same car, so if the immobilizer doesn't match the ECU and ignition key of the very same car, it won't start, ever, and since you don't have the same exact immobilizer, means you're quite completely f*cked now, doesn't it?"

NOW I REALLY AM JACKING MATT'S THREAD.... Maybe I should start a new thread....

Shawn....Mattchew?? Threadsplit?? What does this mean?
Mattchew = some random name I came up with, Matty just doesn't have the right ring to it.

Threadsplit = splitting a thread, it goes OT, make a new thread with the OT posts

For the ECU stuff, wiring is easy for me. Getting the proper placement/angles/etc/making motor mounts for installing an engine, not so easy.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:10 PM

Have fun. My mom has a 94 VG auto and the entire front of the car is designed very differently from my 95.

Right about the weight loss. Just changing the VQ30 for a VQ35 and removing AC (about 70 lbs weight loss) made the front of my car taller on stock springs.

Me and my 130 lbs bro picked the engine out of a pickup and dropped it a few feet away. Try that with a VG/VE.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Have fun. My mom has a 94 VG auto and the entire front of the car is designed very differently from my 95.

Right about the weight loss. Just changing the VQ30 for a VQ35 and removing AC (about 70 lbs weight loss) made the front of my car taller on stock springs.

Me and my 130 lbs bro picked the engine out of a pickup and dropped it a few feet away. Try that with a VG/VE.
it took 3 guys

but we gently set it down

thats the price you pay for a closed deck block
Old 12-18-2005, 07:52 PM

closed deck iron block
Old 12-18-2005, 07:58 PM

Point I'm making is that the only reason 4th gens are lighter is pretty much strictly the engine. If 3rd gens came with the VQ stock they'd weight within 50 pounds of what 95s weight. A VQ35-powered 3rd gen would basically be the best N/A max setup you can get since in addition to the good weight distribution you guys have IRS. Power and handling, hand in hand.

But on the other hand, you could just buy a cheap 2800$ 95 and swap a 3.5 for 1200$ and for 4 grand you'd have a reliable NA car trapping north of 100 mph.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Alex_V

But thats been done before and we love our third gens!

Plus theres the 6 speed with the VQ35. Hello reliability! Imagine it with headers, full exaust, heck maybe even cams, and a standalone....hello POWER!!

~Alex

Old 12-18-2005, 08:49 PM

Then be the first to do it. I'll throw in the fact that the VQ35 mated with the 6-speed transmission can be had for less than 1500$.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Alex_V

That'd be sweet but Id rather build a 240 with one and a 350z 6speed. If I spend that much/do a project car it will be rwd. Other then easy snow drifting I hate FWD.

~Alex

Old 12-18-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Point I'm making is that the only reason 4th gens are lighter is pretty much strictly the engine. If 3rd gens came with the VQ stock they'd weight within 50 pounds of what 95s weight. A VQ35-powered 3rd gen would basically be the best N/A max setup you can get since in addition to the good weight distribution you guys have IRS. Power and handling, hand in hand.

But on the other hand, you could just buy a cheap 2800$ 95 and swap a 3.5 for 1200$ and for 4 grand you'd have a reliable NA car trapping north of 100 mph.
you forgot to mention looks
Old 12-18-2005, 09:08 PM

We shall bow down to the supremacy of 3rd gens

Happy?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Ford Only.

Once you are done, I will send you a plane ticket, you can come help me with mine.

Quick Reply: VQ35 Swap Ideas