3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Clicking from shifter- now brake lights don't turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:27 PM

Clicking from shifter- now brake lights don't turn on?

For the longest time, when I sometimes stepped on the brakes, there would be a wierd clicking noise that I though was comming from the passenger's side door area. Lately the clicking sound has been gone, But I noticed my brake lights aren't turning on anymore! The other day, I got the clicking back when in park, and everytime the clicking happened, the brakes actually turned on in the back.

Has anyone had this problem before? I checked the fuse, which is still obviously good, but would it be some kind of solenoid?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what do you mean by clicking sound, it sounds like you have an auto so everytime you push the brake there is actually a release that allows you to move the shifter i believe this is the clicking noise you are refering to. i'm not sure about the brake lights i think that maybe unrelated to the clicking but again i'm not positive.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:07 PM

dam thats odd.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:32 AM
mod or sell?

not really, his brake light switch (which probably controls the solenoid too) is probably bad. check it for continuity when the pedal is pressed, also check that power is going to the switch as well.
your switch may just be stuck in the open position (depressed switch)
Old 12-28-2005, 08:35 AM

Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention it is an automatic - the shifter doesn't usually unlock either, if I can get it to "click" when I push down the breaks, the shifter unlocks, but usually I just have to push down the thing that lets it unlock.
How can I find the brake light switch or the solenoid? Looking through autozones repiar, it finds "brake light switch", but when I select it, says that it cannot be found...(for 94, or even 96 maxima just to try)
Old 12-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by doomtoo
Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention it is an automatic - the shifter doesn't usually unlock either, if I can get it to "click" when I push down the breaks, the shifter unlocks, but usually I just have to push down the thing that lets it unlock.
How can I find the brake light switch or the solenoid? Looking through autozones repiar, it finds "brake light switch", but when I select it, says that it cannot be found...(for 94, or even 96 maxima just to try)

go to the brake pedal and look up. You will see the switch on it. Like the parts guy said the switch controls both I do believe (I would have to dig up my FSM but I think thats the case)...with it not working your solinoid and your brake lights will not work. Replace switch.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
go to the brake pedal and look up. You will see the switch on it. Like the parts guy said the switch controls both I do believe (I would have to dig up my FSM but I think thats the case)...with it not working your solinoid and your brake lights will not work. Replace switch.
Hmmm thats interesting, my shifter has the same unlocking problem but i know for a fact that my tails still work even when the shifter doesn't unlock
Old 12-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Josh
Hmmm thats interesting, my shifter has the same unlocking problem but i know for a fact that my tails still work even when the shifter doesn't unlock
then your solinoid or another component is bad. I know its been discussed before so it may be in the stickies...not sure.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:20 AM

Where would you find the solenoid/what does it look like?

Also, looking up into the brake, I see 2 switches, according to autozones page, one of them is the stop lamp switch, and one is A.S.C.D cancel switch, but doesn't show which is which.

Anyway to tell if it's the solenoid or the switch, or better to try and replace both to see if it works?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:54 AM
mod or sell?

get a test light and test both switches.
I doubt it's the solenoid in your case.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by doomtoo
Where would you find the solenoid/what does it look like?

Also, looking up into the brake, I see 2 switches, according to autozones page, one of them is the stop lamp switch, and one is A.S.C.D cancel switch, but doesn't show which is which.

Anyway to tell if it's the solenoid or the switch, or better to try and replace both to see if it works?
looking at this picture from the FSM it looks like the brake switch is on the right...it may be different though but you should be able to tell. ASCD is the cruise control so dont worry about that one.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Josh
Go here and click on the ATSL pdfs for diags for the shift lock system.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:55 PM

Found out the brake light switch is only $10, I bought it, hooked it up first to make sure, and it does make the brake lights work! Only problem is every time I depress it, what I assume is the solenoid makes a loud clicking from the console. I am not sure what the proper name for the solenoid is, but I described it for the guy at autozone, he found somthing he thought I was talking about, but it came out to be $75.... anyway to work around the solenoid thats been done before?
Thanks again for the help everyone! Hadn't even known about the switch
Old 12-30-2005, 05:13 AM
mod or sell?

the loud click is the solenoid working.
leave it alone or remove it entirely if it really bothers you that much