3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Electrical Problem, looking for ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Electrical Problem, looking for ideas

Well in my new max, there is a wireing problem. It involves the Brown/White wire which is suppose to be Constant 12V. This wire provides constant power to the clock, radio, interior lights, and motorized seat belts.
These devices are all powered by the fourth fuse from the bottom on the left hand size of the fuse box

Currently, the seatbelts function only when the ignition key is ON, the radio constant has no power, and the only lights that work are the rear drivers side door and overhead.

I have tested for power and have it at the clock, the rear drivers side door light, and the dome light. I do not have it at the Motorized seat belt control box, radio, or the remaining 3 door lights.

I took and ran a constant 12V from the ignition harness to the seat belt control box, and after doing so, the lights, seat belts and radio function as they should.

However I do not want to leave it this way, as if the original source came back on line, it could cause damage. After talking with Brian and Brad, I have made the assumption that there must be a connector or distributor block where the Brown/White goes from the fuse box and then out to the rest of the car. A wire is probably loose somewhere on there.

I looked through the FSM and could not seem to locate a distributor block for these wires. Does anyone know where one might be? I already have the underside of the dash out, and could not see anything.

Any help is appreciated, I need to get this fixed so I can sell my VE.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 01-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i would just put a 10 or 15amp fuse in the wire you have now and forget about it your chances of finding the open are very slim

the way you have it now will not cause any damage if the wire does get reconected somhow somtime its all the same 12volts
Old 01-23-2006, 08:01 PM

yeah I just came in from doing that! seems to be working fine. Eventually I will probably run a new constant to the door light in the drivers side rear, and the clock and then just pull the fuse for the brown/white wire.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:03 PM

However if anyone does have information on fixing the short, I would still love to hear it!