3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

info on what happen to the ve with nissan

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

info on what happen to the ve with nissan

The 3.0 L VQ30DE produces 190 to 227 hp (142 to 169 kW) and 205 to 217 ft.lbf (277 to 294 Nm). The VQ30DE was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1995 through 2001. It is an aluminum open deck block design with microfinished internals and relatively light weight. While the VQ is an award winning engine, its predecessor, the VE30DE, is regarded as a superior powerplant. Unfortunately, Nissan fell on hard financial times and could no longer afford to produce the expensive VE. Instead, they turned to the VQ as a cost cutting measure.

The improved VQ30DE used from 2000-2001 adds a true dual-runner intake manifold for better high-end performance compared to some earlier Japanese and Middle-East market versions of this engine. The 1995-1999 US spec VQ30DE was equipped with only a single runner intake manifold.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine#VQ30DE
Old 02-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Alex_V

So your saying VE+VGDE pistons+ VQ 00VI+good exaust= 210+WHP VQ killer? SWEET!

OK grace_imports when are you going to get your combo dyno'd??

~Alex

Old 02-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Way out West

I don't honestly think that the VE is a better engine than the VQ. MrGone must have added that to the Wikipedia.

The VE was was improved upon to make the VQ. No crappy VTCs and an aluminum block. Also, I guess they went cheap without the VI, but the MEVI is available and putting that on there would have helped even more.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:34 PM
STFU n00b!

Funny...

Look at nissans technical whitepapers on the VE and they say it was built as an offshoot to the VG30DE to "keep up with the Jones's" while the VQ was being developed along with the new A32 chassis. the VG-DE wouldn't fit in the Maxima because the heads were too big, so they redesigned the top end of the VG30DE and called it a VE30DE. They knew it was only going to be in the car from 92-94, so they recycled a lot of the bottom end parts out of the VG30DE.

I agree that it was a very good design and had potential, but it also had a few flaws (iron block = heavy, and VTCs needed more time on the drawing board before being put into production). I also believe the current VQ as a technically superior engine. more power, flatter powerband, better fuel efficiency, less rotating mass, considerably less total mass, and similar total overall strength (maximum power output before the block and heads begin to fail... both VE/VG and VQ engines have seen over 1000hp in race/dyno queen scenarios)

the 1st gen VQ30DE? meh. i wasn't too fond of it, but it was just as powerful and reliable as the VE so I can't fault it too much. it had a VG-E torque curve at the top end, just more midrange than the VG so it was faster.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Not a bad site for someone looking for the origins of Nissan models and engines. One particular quote

"A major difference between the VE and VG30DE engines is the heads. The low underhood clearance on the 92 -94 Maxima demanded a special head to be developed with 30°, rather than 46°, between the valves. Lack of space also demanded a redesigned camshaft drive system, so a special chain drive was developed. However, the block is basically the same for both motors"

No wonder the VE never made it past 3yrs, special heads and camshaft drive had to be developed.

Edit: I didn't realize you already posted my quote in another thread
Old 02-06-2006, 06:10 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

so i see it as

vg, around 160 hp oldish good motor, not a lot of power

ve, 190 hp something diff, diff heads, more power

vq, how much hp?? newer more power, better mileage, VQ35 top 10 engine list

i would really like to have a vq in a 2 or 3rd gen.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:15 AM

VQ30/35 in the top ten engines list for 11 years running i believe. 10 or 11. either way, its something no other engine has ever accomplished.

i believe the vg30dett was in the top ten every year it was in production.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:41 PM

considering anyone and everyone can post on wikipedia i would take everything with a grain of salt.....heck they just blocked some ip's from the pentagon because of postwhoring about a certain topic.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
So your saying VE+VGDE pistons+ VQ 00VI+good exaust= 210+WHP VQ killer? SWEET!

OK grace_imports when are you going to get your combo dyno'd??

~Alex
I hope to see a dyno and a track this spring, however I have things to take care of 1st. My home PC crashed yesterday so now some of my taxes have to go towards a solution for that. On the car, I have to fix the noisy input shaft bearing. I wonder how much (if any) more driveline loss I am experiencing becuse of this. I have a clicking cv now and I need to get the motor mounts filled. I hope to do the tranny/cv/mounts done all in one shot.
I don't feel like my engine is seeing it's full potential on the stock engine management so I am considering megasquirt but need to look into that some more. I know that JWT is good but for that amount of money I'd rather be able to tune myself. The car is running too rich as I have a sooty exhaust. The car doesn't run consistant right now either. Half the time it runs like a raped ape and other times it feels soggy. I expect I will have to replace coil packs soon. I have heard them arcing several times so that is part of the problem. The car likes a lot of gas in town but it got up to 29 MPG on my road trip. My problem is time...I have been picking up a lot of car work on top of my full time job and family life etc. I need a weekend to spend with the car to figure out what it's thinking and it just hasn't happened yet. I will definately post any info and numbers that I have.
My girlfrend and I have played a couple of times. Hers is a 99 GLE A/T. She can jump a hood on me on a kick but then I walk her pretty good for the short distance we go. The other night we jumped (2nd gear) and she got a hood on me and I couldn't do anything, it was one of the times mine ran crappy. I can't be having that so I hope to get mine sorted out soon.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
I don't honestly think that the VE is a better engine than the VQ. MrGone must have added that to the Wikipedia.
No, I put that line there. Swear to God. I was bored at work and added that. It wsa probably sometime early last December. I am not making this up.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Alex_V

Thats cool. My VG losses a little power as it warms up.I think that has to do with the exaust leaks and stuff though.

I have a good drivers side CV shaft if you want it cheap. Good for a core or to use. Id replace the boots though, Im sure you know they're pretty much the failure point. My passenger side is clunking too >< I really wish it was the drivers side....stupid boots cracking...

With the MS most people use the Ford EDIS-6 on 6cyl engines to make it easy. Im not sure how powerful the spark is compared to the stock system though. Im researching on using COP on the VE and VQ engines. My main goal is to give a similar priced and completely tuneable option to the SAFC. You can also run MS as fuel only as well and let the stock ecu think it controls fuel and let it control spark.

Ill let you know in a few days.

~Alex