3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Another Body Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:47 PM

Another Body Kit Question

I know there has been a lot of questions about body kits lately but mine is a little different. I have done full bumper replacements just fine but i have never done lip extensions. I got a Stillen kit and it came with the double sided tape and rivets. My questions is does anyone have any tips on installing it or general advice other than have a shop install it. and should i use the rivets of screws instead?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:26 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Loco7
I know there has been a lot of questions about body kits lately but mine is a little different. I have done full bumper replacements just fine but i have never done lip extensions. I got a Stillen kit and it came with the double sided tape and rivets. My questions is does anyone have any tips on installing it or general advice other than have a shop install it. and should i use the rivets of screws instead?

There has been a lot of good info about installing the Stillen kit. If you can search you need to try and take a look at that.

I will give you a couple of quick pointers though.

1. unless Stillen has upgraded their tape just take their tape and throw it away...it isnt very good at all. Go to a good automotive store (one that carries paint supplies...real paint supplies not rattle can stuff) and ask for the high end 3M tape. Its a little more expensive but man will it hold.

2. Use SS or aluminum rivets (or SS screws) in the wheel wells, behind the license plate, just above the exhaust tip, and screws behind where the fog lights are (rivets will pull through plastic unless you put a backing washer behind it)...in other words where ever its not seen.

3. buy some wax and grease remover from the parts store...heck I think autozone actually carries a small container of the stuff around their rattle can paint. Use that to clean the areas on the car where the tape will meet it. get two lint free cloths at a time. lint free paper towels are best but regular paper towels will work since you arent painting. wipe the wax/grease remover on and then wipe it off before it dries with a clean cloth...you will have to use several cloths to keep rotating a clean one in there.

4. do the same thing to your kit in the area the tape will go.

5. I guess I should have put this first but you always need to test fit it and make sure it all aligns correctly.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:07 PM

thank for the tips that actually does help.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:42 PM

Just curious did you get your kit from stillen and how much was it shipped?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:19 AM

Actually i got it from http://sportcompactonly.com/default.aspx and the price was $24.03 cheaper and there S/H was about $25 cheaper too so i saved about $50 by getting it threw them. Oddly though they don't keep them in stock they had to order it from Stillen. If i would have ordered it from Stillen i would have gotten it in about a week but were with SCO it took about 2 weeks. I don't mind waiting a week to get it if it will save me $50. It's not like i needed the kit right that second.

When i talked to a rep from Stillen he said that they only had 2 left on their self i wonder if that was true or if it was his way of trying to pressure me to buy it from him right there and then?

One dumb question is i have seen that on several pics on the passengers side front piece it has the word Stillen embossed were as with mine it is smooth like someone sanded it off. Anybody elses like that?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:57 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

When i talked to a rep from Stillen he said that they only had 2 left on their self i wonder if that was true or if it was his way of trying to pressure me to buy it from him right there and then?

That may be true but they can always mold some more.

One dumb question is i have seen that on several pics on the passengers side front piece it has the word Stillen embossed were as with mine it is smooth like someone sanded it off. Anybody elses like that?
The older kits had the work Stillen on them but they quit doing that a couple of years ago. My new kit I got for my 93 5spd doesnt have it. I bought it used from another org member.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
That may be true but they can always mold some more.
thats what i thought i wonder why he said that to me. probly his way of trying to get me to buy from him. he didn't like it when i said that SCO was cheaper his rebuttle was "we can refund you the diffrence for shipping once we determine the actually shipping cost."