3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

For Those With STS

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Lil 8

For Those With STS

For those in the forum that have STS in their cars, how easy is it for you to shift? I just put a Pacesetter in today, compared to OEM it is much firmer, but no grinding in gears or anything. Have heard it will take some time before it becomes smoother. Anybody have any input on my scenario? let me know?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:35 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by jkmay01
For those in the forum that have STS in their cars, how easy is it for you to shift? I just put a Pacesetter in today, compared to OEM it is much firmer, but no grinding in gears or anything. Have heard it will take some time before it becomes smoother. Anybody have any input on my scenario? let me know?

Pacesetters definitely aren't as smooth as stock....you just get used to it.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I removed my Pacesetter after about 5000 miles. It would be smooth at start, but as the exhaust got warmer something expanded and it was very tough to shift. I hated it with a passion and installed a B&M for a 4th gen. Its better, but I almost wish I just cut the stock one shorter.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

cutting it shorter will not give you a STS. If you move the stock ball up though it will give you a STS. Thats what I did this time.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:34 PM

It also might depend on how high the pivot ball is set. When I bought mine, it was all the way up(shifter set to lowest setting), and I had to fight the lever to get it in gear. I moved the ball halfway, and it was much better. I also installed washers under the pivot ball holder, without which the lever would barely move.

Edited due to directional misinformation.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by todamax
I removed my Pacesetter after about 5000 miles. It would be smooth at start, but as the exhaust got warmer something expanded and it was very tough to shift. I hated it with a passion and installed a B&M for a 4th gen. Its better, but I almost wish I just cut the stock one shorter.
EXACTLY, i thought i was going insane!!! at first the shift is buttery smooth, can get into and out of gears with a flick of the wrist, but as the exhaust heats up man... on comes the damn tar feeling, not as smooth, much more effort is needed. Does this only happen with the Pacesetter shifter? or all other STS?
Old 02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by jkmay01
EXACTLY, i thought i was going insane!!! at first the shift is buttery smooth, can get into and out of gears with a flick of the wrist, but as the exhaust heats up man... on comes the damn tar feeling, not as smooth, much more effort is needed. Does this only happen with the Pacesetter shifter? or all other STS?

pacesetter and I believe the SMC is the same way. Try what es_amixam said and put washers in there to give you a little more room.

I think the problem is that the pivot ball expands with heat. I know its been discussed by a couple that own them on here. I remember a couple of real big discussions with possible solutions. Try to search and see what you come up with.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:22 AM

I just remembered that I only used one washer, since that's all I had available at the time I was installing the shifter. For the other bolt, I just inserted the shifter spring bracket between the pivot ball holder and the shift rod.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by Michael
pacesetter and I believe the SMC is the same way. Try what es_amixam said and put washers in there to give you a little more room.

I think the problem is that the pivot ball expands with heat. I know its been discussed by a couple that own them on here. I remember a couple of real big discussions with possible solutions. Try to search and see what you come up with.
just got off of the phone with pacesetter explained the mentioned problem!!! man.... it was like talking to a damn Veggie, we never have recieved any calls like this before.!!! so i asked is the stillness due to the heat from the cat which is expanding the bearing? he was like what you may want to do is place another heatshield on the CAT to keep the bearing cooler!! now how dumb does that sound? still trying to search the forum for other solutions on the problem.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
cutting it shorter will not give you a STS. If you move the stock ball up though it will give you a STS. Thats what I did this time.
Yes, you are right, cutting it doesn't give an true STS, but it does reduce the **** travel a small bit.

The B&M knock off I installed to replace the pacesh!tter doesn't have the heat issue. I do need to use lock tight on the bolts though, becuase it has loosened up quite a bit.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:06 PM

isnt the stillen sts supposed to be damned good?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
isnt the stillen sts supposed to be damned good?

yes it is but not many want to pay the price. I know I sure dont.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:33 AM

yeah that makes sense i guess... but its just like replacing your injectors... you buy the knock off remann pythons and you gotta waste more money or time and effort very soon down the road. I don't make much money myself but when i have my heart set on something, I don't like to save a few bucks and hope that it works. just my two cents
Old 02-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

yeah that makes sense i guess... but its just like replacing your injectors... you buy the knock off remann pythons and you gotta waste more money or time and effort very soon down the road. I don't make much money myself but when i have my heart set on something, I don't like to save a few bucks and hope that it works. just my two cents
I understand your point and agree with certain things but we arent talking about a couple of bucks. The Stillen is $239. You can get a 4th gen B&M wich is basically the same as the stillen (I wouldnt doubt it if B&M makes the Stillen) except the holes arent slotted on the B&M (you have to slot them or your shifter mount). The B&M at the most will cost you $130 or so and you can buy the B&M clones for $70ish (would be just as good if it were a steel stick instead of aluminum).

Why spend an extra $100 for essentially the same thing.

Of course I am even cheaper and just moved the ball on the stock shifter this time...think about it. I get the factory shifter that is known good and shorten the shifts some. Quality product for free. I dont expect it to be perfect because the pivot angle is changed (as with all STSs) but it should be as good as the Stillen as long as I dont go too short with it.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:47 AM

point taken and understood. I do things myself just like that if i feel its worth my time. In this case I prefer Stillen but by no means is your way bad. I'm sure if I had access to the tools needed to do it (shorten the shifter) I would too. I almost did at one time until I found how the STS is different. so I felt I would rather get the hassle free sts. Only reason for my logic is, I can't stand having reoccuring problems.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

point taken and understood. I do things myself just like that if i feel its worth my time. In this case I prefer Stillen but by no means is your way bad. I'm sure if I had access to the tools needed to do it (shorten the shifter) I would too. I almost did at one time until I found how the STS is different. so I felt I would rather get the hassle free sts. Only reason for my logic is, I can't stand having reoccuring problems.
nono I didnt shorten my shifter. I made it a STS. The difference between an STS and factory shifter is the pivot ball location. If you move the pivot ball up on the stock shifter you make it a STS. Not a shortened shifter like cutting it and such but an actually STS. The thing is this...if I dont like how it feels I can change the throws to see if I like it better. If I still dont like it then I am not out any money but just a little time.

The only tool required is an oven to heat the shifter up and a rubber mallet to move the ball. Simple as that nothing special required.

also dont get me wrong. I am in no way trying to talk you out of the Stillen because it is a quality piece...If I had the money and hadnt found out about moving the pivot ball from Matt I would probably buy one. If you buy the Stillen you will not be dissapointed from all the posts I have seen on it.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:09 PM

coolness, that sounds fun, and i do have good access to my shifter atm since I've got the whole interior pulled. I just have so much to do right now that I don't think I'd be able to handle that.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 PM

i have an extra shifter that i could sell you

coolness, that sounds fun, and i do have good access to my shifter atm since I've got the whole interior pulled. I just have so much to do right now that I don't think I'd be able to handle that.