3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG Plenum 1/2 inch gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:13 PM
The Bulgarian Guy

VG Plenum 1/2 inch gasket?

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I found on the org that there is such thing for the vq35 and it yelds 12-14hp. All I can see is that it's a really thick gasket. Is anyone making those for a vg? Also, can we change the lower intake gasket as well?I don't really think that there will be any clearance issues. What material would be good to use for this? I have a couple of intakes laying around and it sounds like a fun project once I get the damn pos to run properly...
Old 03-10-2006, 08:02 PM
NWP Engineering.com

If you are talking about spacers, then I've done quite a bit with those on the VE. www.mcmaster.com has all sorts of plastics

Teflon, Delrin, Phenolic, etc. I personally liked a type of Teflon b/c it had the best specs as far a heat range and hardness.

But somebody does make a spacer for your VG. Just not the VE. I would be willing to make an intake manifold spacer and/or throttle body spacer for the VE for anybody.

I know there was a guy making a spacer for your manifold on ebay, but I can't find him. It was about a year ago since I saw him last. I even asked him if he made anything for the VE and he said he doesn't and he won't. So I made my own.

I will see if I can dig up any info about him.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:12 PM

but does it really give you performance gains like it says???? or is it like them 20+ HP performance chips???
Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
but does it really give you performance gains like it says???? or is it like them 20+ HP performance chips???
I've done it and it's a definite performance increase! In fact, a nice one.

First off, you are lengthening the intake path, which will provide more low end power, ... BUT, you will lose top end. You will just be playing with the power curve and a dyno is the only way to tell if you are gaining overall power.

But, you will gain overall power by keeping your upper intake manifold cooler, which in turn, keeps your air intake temps cooler. After an hour of aggressive driving, my upper intake manifold went from "way too hot to touch" to "being able to put your face on it"!! Just barely warm!

There is a reason you see guys icing down their intake manifolds at the track. It's simply b/c it's proven that a colder air intake temp will produce more HP.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:27 AM

i think i saw one for a VG or VE on ebay a few months back, adn i thought it was fake.. but i guess not... thanks man
Old 03-11-2006, 07:58 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

yeah, I saw this one as well, but as far as I remember it was the same thickness as the stock one but made out of different material to reduce heat. Just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing-on a vg when you do injectors you'll have to remove the upper and lower intake and these are the gaskets that I am talking about. So pretty much if you replace the lower one with a thicker alternative, it will rise you whole intake, and if you replace the upper one it will increase the volume under the it. Hmm, what if you add 1inch thickness to the lower intake gasket only? I am not an engineer but I have the feeling that this will increase the speed of the air going into the cumbustion chamber which should be a good thing,right? Also, a bigger volume under the upper intake-what effect will this have on the performance?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I've done it and it's a definite performance increase! In fact, a nice one.

First off, you are lengthening the intake path, which will provide more low end power, ... BUT, you will lose top end. You will just be playing with the power curve and a dyno is the only way to tell if you are gaining overall power.

But, you will gain overall power by keeping your upper intake manifold cooler, which in turn, keeps your air intake temps cooler. After an hour of aggressive driving, my upper intake manifold went from "way too hot to touch" to "being able to put your face on it"!! Just barely warm!

There is a reason you see guys icing down their intake manifolds at the track. It's simply b/c it's proven that a colder air intake temp will produce more HP.

aaron..you did a dyno run before and after or you talking **** dyno here?
Old 03-11-2006, 09:11 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by maximapitko
yeah, I saw this one as well, but as far as I remember it was the same thickness as the stock one but made out of different material to reduce heat. Just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing-on a vg when you do injectors you'll have to remove the upper and lower intake and these are the gaskets that I am talking about. So pretty much if you replace the lower one with a thicker alternative, it will rise you whole intake, and if you replace the upper one it will increase the volume under the it. Hmm, what if you add 1inch thickness to the lower intake gasket only? I am not an engineer but I have the feeling that this will increase the speed of the air going into the cumbustion chamber which should be a good thing,right? Also, a bigger volume under the upper intake-what effect will this have on the performance?
Yeah, you're right. It's been so long since I talked to the guy on ebay. It was close to the same thickness. I think it may have only been about 1/8" at the most.

If you lengthen the intake path by 1", you will see a serious gain in low end power! But I will guarantee that you will lose a noticable amount of top end power b/c the volume won't be there.

I used 1/4" thick Teflon for my intake and TB spacers.

It's like water hose. Picture a 1/2" hose under a certain amount of pressure. It will flow out VERY fast, but not a lot of volume. Now picture a 3" hose under the same amount of pressure. It will barely flow out, but will have more volume.

Same thing with intake and exhaust design. You can either tune for low end or top end power. Or try to stay in the middle somewhere.

Dan, I never did put my car on the dyno for these spacers. That's why all I could comment on was my butt dyno gain in low end power and the slight decrease (I THINK) I lost on top end. It would be nice to see some real numbers.

But I know the thermal advantages make this mod worth it to me. I don't know what heat soak is anymore. Even in 90 degree weather and a lot of racing, the car is still fast. That's also contrubuted to the fact that I keep my coolant temps below 195 at all times. So heat soak never comes into play anymore. I found out that when I start heating up above 200 degrees with my coolant, my car noticably gets slower. And anything above 225, it's a DOG.

So this is all my butt dyno results here. Sorry.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:21 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

[QUOTE=Aaron92SE]

It's like water hose. Picture a 1/2" hose under a certain amount of pressure. It will flow out VERY fast, but not a lot of volume. Now picture a 3" hose under the same amount of pressure. It will barely flow out, but will have more volume.

QUOTE]
The only way this makes sense to me is if you are talking about diameter...is this what you mean? Sorry but I don't feel very smart today... Also, what would be the affect in:

1. lower intake gasket stays stock but upper one becomes 1 inch ticker?
2.lower intake gasket becomes 1 inch ticker but upper stays stock?
3.both upper and lower become 1inch ticker?

Thanks

also, where can i get a sheet of teflon 1inch thick?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:39 AM
NWP Engineering.com

The only way this makes sense to me is if you are talking about diameter...is this what you mean? Sorry but I don't feel very smart today... Also, what would be the affect in:

1. lower intake gasket stays stock but upper one becomes 1 inch ticker?
2.lower intake gasket becomes 1 inch ticker but upper stays stock?
3.both upper and lower become 1inch ticker?

Thanks

also, where can i get a sheet of teflon 1inch thick?
I used that comparison a little wrong. But the same principle applies. If you have a 1/2" water hose that's only 1" in length and flow water through it, it will flow through just fine with lots of volume, but won't come out as fast as a 1/2" water hose that's 20 feet long.

So to answer all 3 of your questions, the longer your intake path, the more low end power you will have, but with a sacrifice of top end power. If you shorten the intake path (custom intake manifold design), you should lose low end power, but gain top end.

Only a flow bench, a dyno, and lots of experimenting will tell you which setup is the best for you.

As for the teflon, see my first post in this thread. If they don't have it, I don't know who will.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:47 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

I find this really interesting. I've just decided not to junk my 89 se-it's time for some experiments...thanks for the interesting info...
Old 03-11-2006, 10:55 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I find this really interesting. I've just decided not to junk my 89 se-it's time for some experiments...thanks for the interesting info...
I wouldn't junk it if it's still running and treating you well. I have a lot of ideas for cheap, but effective mods. Check out my website and browse through my mods list to get some ideas of your own.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I found on the org that there is such thing for the vq35 and it yelds 12-14hp. All I can see is that it's a really thick gasket. Is anyone making those for a vg? Also, can we change the lower intake gasket as well?I don't really think that there will be any clearance issues. What material would be good to use for this? I have a couple of intakes laying around and it sounds like a fun project once I get the damn pos to run properly...
If you are talking about spacers between the lower intake and the heads... It would be completely impractical to do it on these engines.

The cheap/easy way to do it means after the spacers are cut, if you lay them flat on a table the runners are angled. When installed this throws a curve in the runner path, and it is after the injectors. You will lose power doing this.

The other way would be to machine the intake manifold down, or heads, but the intake manifold has to bolt to something, or both, it wouldn't be worth the work. Because the port design in that area is very detailed and you would really need a CNC to do the work, not to mention the injector bung is right there. You would also want to reroute the coolant outside of the intake manifold.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:13 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

Originally Posted by MrGone
If you are talking about spacers between the lower intake and the heads... It would be completely impractical to do it on these engines.

The cheap/easy way to do it means after the spacers are cut, if you lay them flat on a table the runners are angled. When installed this throws a curve in the runner path, and it is after the injectors. You will lose power doing this.

The other way would be to machine the intake manifold down, or heads, but the intake manifold has to bolt to something, or both, it wouldn't be worth the work. Because the port design in that area is very detailed and you would really need a CNC to do the work, not to mention the injector bung is right there. You would also want to reroute the coolant outside of the intake manifold.
hmm, i didn't know that the runners are curved...still though, I would assume that despite the curve there must be a gain in lower rpm because the intake length is increased. Or does the curve counteract the increase in lenght and it makes the whole thing pointless?
Old 03-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

aaron no answer to my question?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:32 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by DanNY
aaron no answer to my question?
I replied. But it was hidden in one of my previous posts.

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Dan, I never did put my car on the dyno for these spacers. That's why all I could comment on was my butt dyno gain in low end power and the slight decrease (I THINK) I lost on top end. It would be nice to see some real numbers.

But I know the thermal advantages make this mod worth it to me. I don't know what heat soak is anymore. Even in 90 degree weather and a lot of racing, the car is still fast. That's also contrubuted to the fact that I keep my coolant temps below 195 at all times. So heat soak never comes into play anymore. I found out that when I start heating up above 200 degrees with my coolant, my car noticably gets slower. And anything above 225, it's a DOG.

So this is all my butt dyno results here. Sorry.