3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Starting Issue and smoke from engine bay.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 07:42 AM

Starting Issue and smoke from engine bay.

Hi Guys
Been a while since I last posted, but the car has been having starting problems, and I find myself in need of your suggestions and expertise again. It all started a few months back when I noticed that it was taking a bit longer for the engine to start (instead of starting right away, engine would crank a couple of times and then start). It got to a point where the car would not start, I would wait about 20 minutes and then the car would start. I took it to firestone to get the electrical systems checked since I had a hunch it was the starter that was the problem here, but they told me that all electrical systems were fine, and that I should take it to the Nissan dealership, which would be able to diagnose this, as it was a driveability problem. He also mentioned that the car seemed to be running a bit rough. Well, yesterday I went to jiffy lube to get an oil change and it would not start in the service bay. When the tech tried to start it, (the hood was up) we could see smoke coming from the engine and it smelled like it was an electrical problem. The Jiffy Lube tech was convinced that it was the starter, but firestone said (a week ago)it was OK. Well after 20 minutes in the parking lot, it started up and I drove to a mechanic who wanted $350 + tax for the starter. So,

1) Any idea on what the problem could be???
2) Is $350 for a starter job reasonable??

I would really like to have a clue before going to the dealership. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long story.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:53 AM
mod or sell?

I'd disconnect the anti-theft system first and see if that helps.

actually first :
Does it click when you turn the key?
Does the radio turn off when in the start position?
I'm still thinking malfunctioning anti-theft box though
Old 04-30-2006, 08:04 AM

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The lights on the dash board dont turn off. When I turn the key, the engine starts to crank and then just dies as if I turned it off. That is, no more power. You can hear it trying to start, engine will crank once, and then nothing. try it again an dsame result. Keep it standing for 20 minutes and it gets enough power to start and then I'll have no problems starting or stopping for almost 4-5 days.Thats why I initially thought it was the battery, but its not.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:10 AM
Reppin Nebraska by myself

It sound like starter but it could be the altenator to. Do you have amps and subs or anything that draws alot of power? If not then I think starter would be the way to go, also you can probably get a starter from internetautomart cheaper than firestone wants to charge you. Make sure you go around and talk to different garages about what they charge per labor hour.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:34 AM

I dont have any amps or subs or anything that draws a lot of power. What I find confusing is that if firestone checked the electrical system and it tested fine, can the starter still be the issue?? I think I'll have to take it to the dealership to see if they can find something before I start sinking money in the car.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If it is the starter I got one at advance for 129 dollars and it
is the easiest starter to do. Took me 15 minutes for the whole job. mine
is the VE and dont know if their the same.Sounds to me that its a wiring problem so I also would make sure before any money is spent on parts not needed.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:52 AM

This may not be the problem, but some intermittent starting problems with the automatics were worn shift lever bushings-the cars wouldn't crank at all or maybe would crank but not start and pushing forward on the shifter to make sure it was in park. Mine used to have starting problems but then got better-but I had changed both the shifter bushing and the distributor cap and rotor so I don't know. Sounds like you may need a starter.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Reppin Nebraska by myself

As far as I know starters can test good on sec and then bam something isnt touching and it doesnt work. On my other vechile had 3 different places tell me it wasnt my starter, including firestone, and they hooked it up to their machines and all but said the starter was good. Anyways what did I do paid 175 and had one put in and no problems at all. So dont always listen to the garages they arent always right.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:15 AM

I hear what you guys are saying about the shifter, because I have that problem too, but in that case, when I turn the key, there is a click and nothing happens at all till I push the starter towards park. I also tried that when the car wasnt starting yesterday, so I dont think thats the problem. I am inclined to believe that its the starter. I am just not sure if $350 for changing the starter sounds right. Does anybody have any ideas about the smoke though? Could the starter be responsible for the smoke??