3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine Coolant (antifreeze) Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 AM

Engine Coolant (antifreeze) Leak

I noticed some white smoke coming out from under the hood with hissing sound when I parked the car on Saturday night. In the morning when I checked, found there was green liquid under the hood all over the engine. So I test drove it for a mile or so and then I noticed that if I give a lot of gas the engine was making a strange grinding noise. So I slowed down and noticed the engine was heating up like crazy! Brought it back home just in time because white smoke was coming out of the hood.

Somewhere in the forum I found many had experienced this (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=483756). Further I found that the leak is from the upper hose of the radiator right under the clamps near the engine. I tried the local Advance Auto Parts store but they gave a bigger S shaped hose. Doesn't seem to match. Is anyone selling this here? Or does anyone know from where can I get a new one? I am assuming the hose should be under $15.

I will try some duct tape first before finding a permanent solution. I would appreciate if someone can give good advise or share their experience.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:47 AM

I have a 92 SE but basically the same setup.

I bought my upper hose from Autozone ($9) and it didn't really fit too well. Haven't replaced the bottom hose yet but I think I'll get that from Nissan.

Duct tape should work okay until you get a replacement. I'd go with Nissan OEM replacement, which should be about $15.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:02 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Try napa for the hose...They seem to be a little better with getting the right parts for the maxima...

Tip: Take the old hose to the store so you can match it with their part...
Old 07-31-2006, 09:54 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Try napa for the hose...They seem to be a little better with getting the right parts for the maxima...

Tip: Take the old hose to the store so you can match it with their part...
NAPA I work there now
Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
NAPA I work there now
Discount?..
Old 07-31-2006, 10:43 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Discount?..
the place is up for sale, and may be sold in 2 weeks, so who knows
Old 07-31-2006, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the response guys. Well, I am not too sure about which is upper or lowe hose! In a parts store (online) I saw lower hose more like what I needed. My belief was lower hose is the toughest one to reach and upper hose is right on top. Anyway, I took a photo of the hose in question so my next trip to the store will be easier. Sure, I have NAPA and OEM in my mind.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Upper hose is at the top of the radiator, lower hose is at the bottom of the radiator (closes to the ground)
Old 08-01-2006, 12:54 PM

For now the duct-tape is holding it (barely). Got the part from Nissan shop for $20. Didn't want to drive around for cheaper one (for NAPA there was a wait of 3 or 4 days, but only $16). Is there anything special that I should be doing when installing it? Adhesives etc?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:01 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by mukundan
For now the duct-tape is holding it (barely). Got the part from Nissan shop for $20. Didn't want to drive around for cheaper one (for NAPA there was a wait of 3 or 4 days, but only $16). Is there anything special that I should be doing when installing it? Adhesives etc?

No adhesives,just transfer the clamps to the new hose and tighten them up..
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry to ask a dumb question...but:

i bought a 91 maxima and replaced the coolant in my car (without flushing the system) for the first time. - the coolant went a milky brown colour within a few days. this means the radiator is probably rusty right??

additionally - after the car has been on the top hose from the thermostat down to the top of the radiator is always quite hot - but the bottom of the radiator is never anything but ice cold. i'm worried the cooling system is about to kill this car. any advice??
Old 08-01-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by yesterday'shero

i bought a 91 maxima and replaced the coolant in my car (without flushing the system) for the first time. - the coolant went a milky brown colour within a few days. this means the radiator is probably rusty right??

additionally - after the car has been on the top hose from the thermostat down to the top of the radiator is always quite hot - but the bottom of the radiator is never anything but ice cold. i'm worried the cooling system is about to kill this car. any advice??
Do it right ad flush it. Then see what happens. I donno how you can replace the coolant without first draining.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i drained it of course but i didn't put any of that radiator flushing additive through it - figured it wasn't strictly neccessary.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:58 PM
mod or sell?

you don't need a flushing additive, but you should turn on the heat and put a running garden hose in the radiator and run the system until the drainage comes out clear.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by yesterday'shero

Sounds like your thermostat is not opening up. open the valve(peacock) at the bottom of the radiator to drain the brown liquid, and flush it clean. Close the valve, fill it with clean water and let the engine run. This will get some of the brown stuff from the engine. You will most likely have to drain the brown stuff from the radiator again. Once u bleed the system, then check the temperature of both hose a normal operating engine temperature.

Forgot to ask, you check the temperature of both hose at normal operating engine temperature, right?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:50 AM

I installed the new hose and it is working great now! I have to top it off with some coolant mixture now. Since the 90K servicing had taken care of flushing the system, coolant is pretty clean (it is now 95K). Now I have to clean up the mess this leak created. I guess a wet towel would do it.

Thanks to you all for helping!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by phat
Sounds like your thermostat is not opening up.

...Forgot to ask, you check the temperature of both hose at normal operating engine temperature, right?
at normal operating temperature the needle points about halfway up. but the weird thing is as i am driving it will often drop quickly right down to the bottom of 'cold'. as i live in australia the coldest it ever gets is about 45 degrees fahrenheit.

i think the thermostat is (sometimes) working because the top hose between it and the radiator is often very hot. the bottom of the radiator is always very cold even when i have been driving in very hot weather.

i will flush the system and put in a new thermostat and see what happens. just seems strange though.