3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Clicking Noise from the dash...........

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:47 AM

Clicking Noise from the dash...........

I hearing this "clicking" or more of a knocking noise coming from some where in the dash area of my `92 VE.....

Seems to be coming from the radio area off to the right towards the glove box. It only does it in the mornings, and will make the noise for a good 15-20 seconds.... kinda sounds like a circut beaker going on and off....

No its not the VTC...its coming from inside the passenger compartment...

Anybody know WTF it is???
Old 09-26-2006, 09:25 AM
"and falling like a rock"

are you sure its not coming from the engine bay?? cause even my VG has some clicking noise when its a cold start.

Could be a bad solenoid but hellz if I know. Maybe something related to the heat/AC controls
Old 09-26-2006, 09:28 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Could be a exhaust leak/manifold studs....
Old 09-26-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 89blackse
are you sure its not coming from the engine bay?? cause even my VG has some clicking noise when its a cold start.

Could be a bad solenoid but hellz if I know. Maybe something related to the heat/AC controls

Thats around the area that I hear the knocking noise......
Around the heater controls and radio.....

Its not coming from the engine bay....its a loud "popping" noise...only does it when it sits all night
Old 09-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the same thing but haven't had the desire to track it down yet. It sounds like a solenoid clicking, I thought it might be the shift lock(auto) but I checked that and it wasn't it. I also notice mine sometimes when I am driving, just random clicking ussually 3-5 times then it goes away. I'm thinking its something in the climate control area now.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 PM

hey hey @: you guys are thinking to hard its simple with breifly reading this thread it's your faulty a/c control panel switch you have a short in the a/c switch i had the same problem. try unplugging the harness that connects to for a day or too to see if its gone. whats happening is the relays are making contact with a faulty signal its getting telling the flap door to let the outside air in and in cabin air door to open and close randomly.

2nd@: or if its while your driving it could that your motor mount itself has failed on nissan fwd cars the torque side is towards the firewall.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:56 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Josh
I have the same thing but haven't had the desire to track it down yet. It sounds like a solenoid clicking, I thought it might be the shift lock(auto) but I checked that and it wasn't it. I also notice mine sometimes when I am driving, just random clicking ussually 3-5 times then it goes away. I'm thinking its something in the climate control area now.
if you ever figure it out let me know.
though mine did cease
it just sounds like a relay clicking, it's for sure in the interior by the passenger footwell
Old 09-26-2006, 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=2Legal4Me]hey hey @: you guys are thinking to hard its simple with breifly reading this thread it's your faulty a/c control panel switch you have a short in the a/c switch i had the same problem. try unplugging the harness that connects to for a day or too to see if its gone. whats happening is the relays are making contact with a faulty signal its getting telling the flap door to let the outside air in and in cabin air door to open and close randomly.

I think he might be right.....it is definitaly coming from that panel......

When I start it up in the morning.....I gonna start pushing buttons....
Old 09-26-2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
hey hey @: you guys are thinking to hard its simple with breifly reading this thread it's your faulty a/c control panel switch you have a short in the a/c switch i had the same problem. try unplugging the harness that connects to for a day or too to see if its gone. whats happening is the relays are making contact with a faulty signal its getting telling the flap door to let the outside air in and in cabin air door to open and close randomly.

2nd@: or if its while your driving it could that your motor mount itself has failed on nissan fwd cars the torque side is towards the firewall.
Def. sounds like number 1, considering I could hear my flap door freaking out last night when I started the car up.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 AM

those darn nissan engineers did a poor design on the manual a/c control box switches. they should of have went with a auto climate control a/c box in all 3rd gen max my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:43 AM

I think he might be right.....it is definitaly coming from that panel......

When I start it up in the morning.....I gonna start pushing buttons....
i dont think pressing buttons will solve it. the front panel to access the radio and the a/c controls has to come off. and second a/c control unit has to come out far enough for you reach behind it to release the harness that connect to it. to test a be sure that it
Old 09-27-2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
those darn nissan engineers did a poor design on the manual a/c control box switches. they should of have went with a auto climate control a/c box in all 3rd gen max my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, the first and only malfunction in 14 years... that doesn't sound like too bad of a design job to me.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Josh
Yeah, the first and only malfunction in 14 years... that doesn't sound like too bad of a design job to me.
you got to remember that was a problem with all 3rd gens. the temp. slider switch get harder to slide as they age prematurely. mine got stuck on cold not that it matters cuz here in az it's not needed. now the a/c thats a different story.