3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

rear brake caliper rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 06:24 PM
94c Big Max

rear brake caliper rebuilt

anyone here have rebuilt their rear brake caliper? if so, could you please tell me how to do it? what are the steps involved?

I saw them selling repair kits at the stores, so I would like to give it a shot instead of buying new reman caliper. They're pretty darn expensive around here, approx $175/side.

Also, does the repair kits includes a new bleeder valve screw? I broke mine... what should I do? It got so rusty that it just snap instantly ...

Thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 01:56 AM
what can my max do for me

i can tell you its a pretty involved process as our rear calipers also have integrated into them the emrgency brake mechanisim.

i would strongly advise against doing this if this is your first caliper rebuild.

this is not the sort of thing you learn over the internet. it also involves some specialized tools and cleaning equipment to do it properly and safely.

the best place to start is witht he FSM and get a few sets of calipers from thelocal yard. using the FSM take the calipers apart in a very organized and sequential manner.

if you find any of the bores or seal seats rusted or pitted a dremel does not belong in there! - my 2 cents
Old 12-28-2006, 12:51 AM
94c Big Max

thanks for the suggestions. your right about about messing it up, just a little minor scratch would loosen the brake fluid again..... yeah I don't have enough tools for this kinda jobs. 2 new reman rear caliper for our car costs $350 .... man, that's crazy but a rebuilt kit from autojunk only cost $26 + taxes, it's the same thing re-manufacturer used

I'll take the caliper apart and bring it to some Amigo shops to have them rebuilt it for me. How much you think I should ask for it. Does $25 sounds reasonable for the labor? Since they had all the tools, it shouldn't take them that long really.

Also, I broke one of the bleeder valve. Is there a way to grap that striped bolt out beside drilling it? Drilling might not be a good idea because it brings all the scrap metal back into the piston. Not good, I just wanted to know if there is a way to get that stuck thingy out.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:18 PM
94c Big Max

nevermind, I took it out today and it looks mad complicated. I'm not gonna rebuilt it and neither would any of these amigos are willing to do it. Screw them, what's the lowest price on a reman set you guys have paid for and where can I get them? Autozone wanted $375 for 2. The lowest price on the web was $182 with taxes and SH. Anything lower?

This max had already shred $800 from me in less than a month, damn . 3 long OE metal brake lines and 2 brake lines went for $250. Heater core $160. HID kit $169. Tools and other bs = $$$. I'd hoped it's worth it. A brand new ride would've cost me 20 to 40x what I have currently in saving
Old 12-30-2006, 05:49 AM

I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. You just turn out the piston, and change a couple seals. You can get the tool from any auto place. It's like a key to turn the piston.

Turn out the piston.
Flush the caliper out with brake cleaner.
Replace mainly the big seal around the piston, reassemble.
It's easiest when putting in the piston. To slide just the lip of the boot of over the piston, and install the boot, them slide the piston down into the caliper, make sure to have all the seals and the boot lubricated with brake fluid first.

If by chage the piston is corroded inside the boot, it's no good. I think a seal and ring kit cost me 25? Beats 175x2!

If your smart enough to change pads and rotors, this is just the next step.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:32 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by bvtran
nevermind, I took it out today and it looks mad complicated. I'm not gonna rebuilt it and neither would any of these amigos are willing to do it. Screw them, what's the lowest price on a reman set you guys have paid for and where can I get them? Autozone wanted $375 for 2. The lowest price on the web was $182 with taxes and SH. Anything lower?

This max had already shred $800 from me in less than a month, damn . 3 long OE metal brake lines and 2 brake lines went for $250. Heater core $160. HID kit $169. Tools and other bs = $$$. I'd hoped it's worth it. A brand new ride would've cost me 20 to 40x what I have currently in saving
most of that should be a core charge.
I used to get $145ish ea when I was selling them. I forget how much the core charge was
Old 01-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

The job on a VE is VERY easy, I'm a novice and it didn't take me any time at all. I don't know if it's the same as the GXE, though. Autozone has the rear caliper rebuild kit for the VE for $7 or something, it's just all the rubber pieces and seals you need, though I only had to use an outer boot and an inner seal to do mine (which I think is all you usually do when rebuilding a caliper that sticks like mine). pm me if you want instructions or anything, use autozone.com for instructions too.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:56 PM
94c Big Max

nevermind, guys. I just went to another autozone and they sold me rear caliper reman by Fenco for $150 (both sides). Screw Beck Arnley, they're $375....ridiculous. I haven't installed it but I'm pretty sure it works.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:00 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by hoyshnin
The job on a VE is VERY easy, I'm a novice and it didn't take me any time at all. I don't know if it's the same as the GXE, though. Autozone has the rear caliper rebuild kit for the VE for $7 or something, it's just all the rubber pieces and seals you need, though I only had to use an outer boot and an inner seal to do mine (which I think is all you usually do when rebuilding a caliper that sticks like mine). pm me if you want instructions or anything, use autozone.com for instructions too.

Beck Arnley rebuilt kit comes with everything, boot, seals, piston, etc... not just the rubber parts. It's pretty much more like a reman kit than rebuilt and they're $26.99 for both sides. Unfortunately, my piston was rust frozen. I can't do anything to it. Screw it, I'll just get a reman pair for $150.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:37 PM

I hate autozone, and their rebuilt crap. I'd like to know WHERE they send there stuff to be rebuilt.

Good luck with it.

Anyone know what the dealer charge for pistons?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:18 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
I hate autozone, and their rebuilt crap. I'd like to know WHERE they send there stuff to be rebuilt.

Good luck with it.

Anyone know what the dealer charge for pistons?

LOL that's why they're called "autojunk" but for $150/pair and limited life time of hassle warranty, I'll do it!!!