3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How many 3rd gens sold and how many left?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Tom

How many 3rd gens sold and how many left?

Anybody know?

It sold for 6 model years, which is pretty long, but probably not many 94s out there.

I've had my car for 10 years now. Back then I use to see 3rd gens all the time all over, but I don't see many any more...
Old 01-25-2007, 06:05 PM

I don't think anyone has that knowledge.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I see them all over the place. I see them on TV all the time too. The last episode in December and first episode in January of "Heroes" has a 3rd gen in the street as the characters are running around before dude goes "boom."
Old 01-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Way out West

There are LOTS of them in the Northwest (Oregon and Washington), especially 92-94 GXEs.

I admit that if I see a VE SE in a parking lot, I go out of my way to look inside to see if it's a 5-speed. I rarely see any of those.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:56 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

11ndy billion....
Old 01-25-2007, 07:04 PM

when i had my first one in 1999 there were NEVER any in the local u pull it. now there are tons which is going to show me people arent fixing them now and they are junking them so im sure now that the ratio to them built and the ones that are left is significantly different then what it was in 2000
Old 01-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i was representing for the 1990 maxima's and 5 spd is great...
they say that there where only 15% of 1990 maxima with 5 spd...
i have had mine for 5 years....800 bucks gets you a long way...

http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 PM

Your 800 did a lot better than mine. Only got me a poor old auto and not nearly that nice of a body.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I ave inquired about production numbers before...any official count still escapes me. I can honestly say my car is one of the rarest out there...GXE 5-speed
Old 01-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Banned

very true alot of GXE's here in washington state in the past i have seen what maybe 3 VE-5's for sell around here in washington and i got one of them. 1993 ve-5
Old 01-26-2007, 03:02 AM

But in comparison with alot of other cars, at the time of sale 3rd gens probably weren't in everyone's financial range!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
very true alot of GXE's here in washington state in the past i have seen what maybe 3 VE-5's for sell around here in washington and i got one of them. 1993 ve-5
There have been a few on CL, but usually either overpriced ones on used car lots or beat to hell.

I say "overpriced" compared to mine because I will see a stock VE-5 for say $3k or $3500 and mine has a lot of mods, plus lots of maintenance, which would be totally unknown on a car from a lot on 82nd in Portland.

Hectic sold his Canadian one for what I thought was a good deal ($2200?). No one on any boards bought it, though.

I have seen a few that were cheap ($1500 or less), but said things like "needs mechanical work" and had around 200k miles.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
I feel ya, I searched two months for a ve-5 in the seattle/tacoma area and found 2, one was posted online by a dealership and sold within hours, and the other I jumped on within a few hours of it being posted on autotrader, lucky me!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

94 se ve-5 right here in IL. 2,500 bucks and its sold. I going to push hard to sell right now ,because taxes are in and this is the price and car poe people want.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:54 PM

production #'s are somewhere, the number left is going to be tough to get, but who cares?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Tom

When I was in Japan last month, I bought a car magazine and there was an interesting article about vehicle registrations and which cars (all model years inclusive) were the 40 most rare cars by registration. Keep in mind these are only the models registered in Japan.

Many were JDM only models and I did expect to see those. Some you will probably recognize as they were sold here. So here they are.

#14 Isuzu Vehicross - 1322
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Vehicross

#17 Mazda MX-6 - 1449
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-6

#19 Honda Insight - 2073
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Insight

#21 Isuzu Piazza (a.k.a. Impulse) - 2204
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Impulse

#22 Toyota Sceptre (folks, this is the 3rd Gen Toyota Camry!) - 2421

#23 Honda (a.k.a.) Legend (1st gen) - 2426
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_Legend

#30 Nissan Maxima -As in 3rd Gen Maxima, like what we all have. These never sold well in Japan as it was way overpriced there (priced around equivalent of $30K U.S. back then). The 3rd gen was the only generation that the Maxima was sold as the Maxima in Japan. There was no 1st gen Maxima in Japan and the 2nd gen Maxima was sold as the Bluebird Maxima. There was no 4th gen Maxima in Japan (Cefiro was close) and of course, no 5th or 6th gens in Japan.

So that 3696 represents all the 3rd gens left in Japan that are registered....

#35 Subaru Alcyone (a.k.a. SVX) - 4363
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_SVX

The article went on to compare some more information that caught my eye.

It compared vehicle registration of popular models in March 2004 and March 2006.

What caught my eye were these models in particular.

In Mar 04, there were

12,036 Mitsubishi GTOs (3000GT)
16,761 Honda CR-X
47,588 Nissan Skyline GT-R

In Mar 06, there were

9,183 Mitsubishi GTOs (3000GT)
12,419 Honda CR-X
42,908 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Unfortuantely, I don't have any comparaions on the Maxima, but I am wondering how many are getting junked every year in the U.S.

They have depreciated to the point where people are starting to junk them when there is a major failure (like a tranny) as it isn't worth fixing if the car is in poor condition otherwise also (worn suspension, tired engine, etc..)
Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I see them all over the place. I see them on TV all the time too. The last episode in December and first episode in January of "Heroes" has a 3rd gen in the street as the characters are running around before dude goes "boom."
You saw that! Man, the 3rd gen flashed for no more than a half second. It sucks that the 3rd gen is/was/might have/going to be blown up.

You can drive me into the parking lot at Walmart and I will spot a 3rd gen a half mile away in a different parking lot.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Hectic sold his Canadian one for what I thought was a good deal ($2200?). No one on any boards bought it, though.
the best thing about that car was the interior.. $2200 could have bought a better max..
Old 01-23-2024, 09:00 PM

CMax03 is still here....
Old 01-24-2024, 02:37 PM

you won't see very many VE engine left, I have one which is a project car I've yet have to complete and finding in the junk yard for parts are rare. Five years ago there were quite a bit at the yard but now it's very hard to come by.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:55 AM

CMax03 is still here! In and out most of the time! Just got told I have to get rid of 3 cars...Trying to buy my wife a newer car either a VW Tiguan or Audi Q5...
1. My 98 4th Gen has too go.... just got hit on the right front fender parked in "The Home Depot parking lot while shopping! What a surprise! It's only the 3rd freaking time the car's been hit and it's parked with no one even driving it! It's still drivable and not extremely bad but it was a hit and run and hopefully the police do their jobs looking at the surveillance cameras that I was parked right near.

2. My 90 3rd Gen has to go...is not working, about to order a JWT S1 cam to finish the project I started, since the lifter explosion locking the cams and shearing 8 inches of timing belt cogs bending all the valves. I got all the parts except except the lifters and cam. A Tsunami of life keeps falling in front of me like replacing my roof, buying a Ram Promaster City Van for Chasing those damn Helicopters, paying for my youngest child college tuition, spending handfuls of money taking care of my parent's house problems since they're both retired unofficially. The problems keep coming and I can't ever concentrate on my ****!!!

3. My 2003 5.5th Gen just recently partially blew it's head gasket but I've already acquired a 2022 VQ35DE with 35K,. I'll hang the 2022 engine on the engine stand and start with transforming it to fit into the 2003. Getting bits and pieces for it that were damaged or missing during shipment. I already have the 5th gen Upper, lower oil pans, oil pick up tube strainer, the following NISformance items: HR swap kit, Billet oil pump, extended O2 sensors, Cam trigger wheels, EPS Tuning Oil galley gasket/hardware kit, about order ARP rod bolts, main studs, NISformance Gen 4 headers, and Magnaflow Hi-Flow 3" Cat...(THIS IS STAYING!!!!)

4. My 85 Shelby Charger will go once I finish the Turbo 2 upgrade and it's running. I'm not selling it taken apart!

I'm currently working on my house changing out facia boards and soffits and once through I'll knock out the 5th Gen engine swap which should be the easiest since I can work on it while it's mounted on the engine stand in the garage. Life a b*tch then we die....
Old 04-03-2024, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tom
When I was in Japan last month, I bought a car magazine and there was an interesting article about vehicle registrations and which cars (all model years inclusive) were the 40 most rare cars by registration. Keep in mind these are only the models registered in Japan.

Many were JDM only models and I did expect to see those. Some you will probably recognize as they were sold here. So here they are.

#14 Isuzu Vehicross - 1322
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Vehicross

#17 Mazda MX-6 - 1449
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-6

#19 Honda Insight - 2073
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Insight

#21 Isuzu Piazza (a.k.a. Impulse) - 2204
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Impulse

#22 Toyota Sceptre (folks, this is the 3rd Gen Toyota Camry!) - 2421

#23 Honda (a.k.a.) Legend (1st gen) - 2426
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_Legend

#30 Nissan Maxima -As in 3rd Gen Maxima, like what we all have. These never sold well in Japan as it was way overpriced there (priced around equivalent of $30K U.S. back then). The 3rd gen was the only generation that the Maxima was sold as the Maxima in Japan. There was no 1st gen Maxima in Japan and the 2nd gen Maxima was sold as the Bluebird Maxima. There was no 4th gen Maxima in Japan (Cefiro was close) and of course, no 5th or 6th gens in Japan.

So that 3696 represents all the 3rd gens left in Japan that are registered....

#35 Subaru Alcyone (a.k.a. SVX) - 4363
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_SVX

The article went on to compare some more information that caught my eye.

It compared vehicle registration of popular models in March 2004 and March 2006.

What caught my eye were these models in particular.

In Mar 04, there were

12,036 Mitsubishi GTOs (3000GT)
16,761 Honda CR-X
47,588 Nissan Skyline GT-R

In Mar 06, there were

9,183 Mitsubishi GTOs (3000GT)
12,419 Honda CR-X
42,908 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Unfortuantely, I don't have any comparaions on the Maxima, but I am wondering how many are getting junked every year in the U.S.

They have depreciated to the point where people are starting to junk them when there is a major failure (like a tranny) as it isn't worth fixing if the car is in poor condition otherwise also (worn suspension, tired engine, etc..)
**True That!!** But if fixed someone will buy them knowing how good of a car they really are or to re-live a past memory of one they had and lost at one point in life...
Old 04-03-2024, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
CMax03 is still here! In and out most of the time! Just got told I have to get rid of 3 cars...Trying to buy my wife a newer car either a VW Tiguan or Audi Q5...
1. My 98 4th Gen has too go.... just got hit on the right front fender parked in "The Home Depot parking lot while shopping! What a surprise! It's only the 3rd freaking time the car's been hit and it's parked with no one even driving it! It's still drivable and not extremely bad but it was a hit and run and hopefully the police do their jobs looking at the surveillance cameras that I was parked right near.

2. My 90 3rd Gen has to go...is not working, about to order a JWT S1 cam to finish the project I started, since the lifter explosion locking the cams and shearing 8 inches of timing belt cogs bending all the valves. I got all the parts except except the lifters and cam. A Tsunami of life keeps falling in front of me like replacing my roof, buying a Ram Promaster City Van for Chasing those damn Helicopters, paying for my youngest child college tuition, spending handfuls of money taking care of my parent's house problems since they're both retired unofficially. The problems keep coming and I can't ever concentrate on my ****!!!

3. My 2003 5.5th Gen just recently partially blew it's head gasket but I've already acquired a 2022 VQ35DE with 35K,. I'll hang the 2022 engine on the engine stand and start with transforming it to fit into the 2003. Getting bits and pieces for it that were damaged or missing during shipment. I already have the 5th gen Upper, lower oil pans, oil pick up tube strainer, the following NISformance items: HR swap kit, Billet oil pump, extended O2 sensors, Cam trigger wheels, EPS Tuning Oil galley gasket/hardware kit, about order ARP rod bolts, main studs, NISformance Gen 4 headers, and Magnaflow Hi-Flow 3" Cat...(THIS IS STAYING!!!!)

4. My 85 Shelby Charger will go once I finish the Turbo 2 upgrade and it's running. I'm not selling it taken apart!

I'm currently working on my house changing out facia boards and soffits and once through I'll knock out the 5th Gen engine swap which should be the easiest since I can work on it while it's mounted on the engine stand in the garage. Life a b*tch then we die....
I hear ya dude, and super random but where in the parking lot were you parked when it got hit?

i have been parking way in the back (farthest from store) to avoid door dings and sheet like that...i also think its a win win being a tad healthier with a few extra daily steps lol
Old 04-03-2024, 11:39 AM

My car got hit at least 5 times and 2 of them are Hit and Runs.
I blame these soul-less vehicles because people don't care for their vehicle like we used to.
Including Parking far isn't much of a help because when I parked furthest from a store, a freaking flatbed tow truck backed into my car.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:56 AM

For a decade and a half I could go to the junkyard without checking the inventory and know there would be multiple 3rd gens there that were barely touched. They've had two in the last FIVE years across all three Pick N Pulls in my area and I know because I check inventory daily. One of them was a garbage GXE, the other was a GXE that I bought at a towing auction, swapped the doors, fenders and hood and then sold, and somehow ended up in the yard a month later.

There was a white VE-5 on Facebook a few months ago which I bought because I honestly can't remember the last VE-5 I've seen in the yards or for sale. It might be the black 94 that I bought and flipped in 2010. I used to get rid of them like the plague, but I'm keeping this one. Clacks hard at 170k, I'm going to replace the chains, guides and tensioners, inspect and clear out all the oil passages. Disassemble and clean the VTCs. Unfortunately no rebuild kits left, but I'm not convinced the replacement spring successfully addressed the issue anyway.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
For a decade and a half I could go to the junkyard without checking the inventory and know there would be multiple 3rd gens there that were barely touched. They've had two in the last FIVE years across all three Pick N Pulls in my area and I know because I check inventory daily. One of them was a garbage GXE, the other was a GXE that I bought at a towing auction, swapped the doors, fenders and hood and then sold, and somehow ended up in the yard a month later.

There was a white VE-5 on Facebook a few months ago which I bought because I honestly can't remember the last VE-5 I've seen in the yards or for sale. It might be the black 94 that I bought and flipped in 2010. I used to get rid of them like the plague, but I'm keeping this one. Clacks hard at 170k, I'm going to replace the chains, guides and tensioners, inspect and clear out all the oil passages. Disassemble and clean the VTCs. Unfortunately no rebuild kits left, but I'm not convinced the replacement spring successfully addressed the issue anyway.
Yeah. That's how it is in the yards in So.Cal. The VEs are the rarest to find, and I hunt for their VTCs. I really wish I paid more attention to the VEs before I bought one.