3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

decided to buy the new LCA rear poly bushing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

decided to buy the new LCA rear poly bushing

I don't know if anyone on here got these or not because they are kind of expensive. I know someone posted a link (how I found them) a while back but never heard any feed back on them.

Anyway I got the ES rear LCA bushing a while back and cut it down. I didn't do a very good or straight job and wasn't real comfortable with the job I did but thought I would wait until I see what happens with the alignment.

That changed when I decided to sell the car though. I am not like most people that sell a car. I have to make sure everything is perfect so the new owner will not have any problems that I would feel guilty about later. I figured it was worth my peace of mind to go ahead and buy these direct fit bushings.

They came in yesterday and they look to be good quality bushings. I will comment on this thread on how well they actually fit after I install them later.

Until then here is a pic I took of them.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:19 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Michael
I will comment on this thread on how well they actually fit after I install them later.

Is this later today,or later july?

J/K
Old 03-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Is this later today,or later july?

J/K

haha it will be soon because the car will be finished and ready for sale by the end of April. Believe it or not its actually almost ready for paint. All the body work has been done and I just have to finish blocking out the doors and a couple of other things.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Michael
Anyway I got the ES rear LCA bushing a while back and cut it down. I didn't do a very good or straight job and wasn't real comfortable with the job I did but thought I would wait until I see what happens with the alignment.
Is it always necessary to cut the rear ES poly bushing to install it correctly?
I bought a set of ES (4th Gen) control arm bushings and will be installing them probably this weekend.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:43 PM

I noticed that these say that they are for a manual trans. What is the difference in control arms between manual and automatic trans?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:51 PM
I miss my VE

I wish all sellers had the same mind set as you have Michael.. The world would be a much brighter place
Old 03-29-2007, 10:48 PM
STFU n00b!

Hmm.. never seen those before. look to be good quality stuff.
Is the white part Delrin or poly? (how hard is it?)

Still not sure if I'd pay 2x the price for them over the ES bushing set, but it's definitely a valid option for people who want to do a straight bolt-on mod.

Jonmandude, the difference between auto and manual (from the factory) is that the manual has slightly harder bushings. the control arms themselves and the bushing dimensions are the same for all models. only the stiffness of the rubber changes.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 PM

Are you still going to paint it a pearl black? I'm looking forward to the finished product. Props for spending so much time and energy fixing up the cars you are going to sell. Hopefully the selling price makes it worth your while..
Old 03-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Boomer Sooner

saving up my $$$ -- need to sell the 91 Trans Am and 92 Maxima and 89 Sentra.... lol... geesh
Old 03-30-2007, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
I wish all sellers had the same mind set as you have Michael.. The world would be a much brighter place
He goes so incredibly far above and beyond what is expected that I ran out of superlatives a few YEARS ago.

And what you were thinking buying those bushings? It could have been better spent on this:

http://replacement.autopartswarehous...0Saver&dp=true
Old 03-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Hmm.. never seen those before. look to be good quality stuff.
Is the white part Delrin or poly? (how hard is it?)
the white part is really hard (cant compress it at all) while the black part feels the same as the ES bushing.

Originally Posted by maxitech
Is it always necessary to cut the rear ES poly bushing to install it correctly?
I bought a set of ES (4th Gen) control arm bushings and will be installing them probably this weekend.
Yes it is but if done right you will have no problems. I just screwed up with the grinder and did a little more than I should have. I thought about just buying the ES bushings again and redo them but didnt want to take the chance of messing them up again.

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Thanks...I almost hate selling stuff some times because I get so stressed over making sure things are just right. I just do to others as I want to be treated is all.

Originally Posted by Hectic
Are you still going to paint it a pearl black? I'm looking forward to the finished product. Props for spending so much time and energy fixing up the cars you are going to sell. Hopefully the selling price makes it worth your while..
No I am painting this one just regular black since I am selling it. I am however painting a friends 3rd gen (at my house now) pearl black and will be adding a stillen kit (my old one from PAs car). It will be a really nice car.

I never seem to get to keep a project (maybe thats why I haven't started on the Chevelle yet) because something always comes up and its always in my best interest to sell. I will be getting what I am asking for the car which I think is a very fair price considering.

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
He goes so incredibly far above and beyond what is expected that I ran out of superlatives a few YEARS ago.

And what you were thinking buying those bushings? It could have been better spent on this:

http://replacement.autopartswarehous...0Saver&dp=true
ahh shucks lol...I try my best. Yeah it was a hard decision buying the bushings over that tornado but I didnt want to completely spoil the buyer with too much mad powah.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I decided to take a break from body work and install the bushings.

I went ahead and took some pics.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

Looks great! I might have went this way also. But I had no problems cutting the poly 4-gen bushings. Using a table saw made the cutting easy and clean. Especially when you can adjust the saw angle to what you need.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Looks great! I might have went this way also. But I had no problems cutting the poly 4-gen bushings. Using a table saw made the cutting easy and clean. Especially when you can adjust the saw angle to what you need.

yeah I dont have a table saw and my Dad's was covered in the back of his shed (was no way to get to that thing). I dont think I had the bushings too bad off but I just didnt want to take a chance on something I was selling. I would always worry about it and I dont need that stress.

BTW these bushings do not come with the lube. I bought a small tub of the ES bushing grease (lube whatever you want to call it) a while back so I would have enough for my sway bars and all the other bushings. I still had plenty left so I used that.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:25 AM
NWP Engineering.com

That's cool. I've never seen those.

When I did the 4th gen ES bushings, I didn't have a table saw either. I used a dremel cutting disc and a hacksaw. It wasn't the cleanest cut in the world but worked out just fine. It was a huge improvement in handling since my old bushings were in horrible condition.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Alex_V

Mine are completely done, Im definitly getting a pair of these....

~Alex

Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 PM

What's wrong with the way you have the ES bushings cut, Michael? Also wondering why you didn't cut an angle on both sides, as Matt indicated doing...
Old 03-31-2007, 07:08 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

What's wrong with the way you have the ES bushings cut, Michael? Also wondering why you didn't cut an angle on both sides, as Matt indicated doing...

its just slightly off and not as flat as it should be. Look at the picture where its got the little lip sticking out...see how its off.

Again there is probably nothing wrong with them but I didn't want a surprise when I took it to the alignment shop and then not be able to get the new pieces in on time.

I didn't cut the other piece because its not needed. The angle is only on one side in the third gen. I believe they cut both sides to save in having to make two different parts as that way they can be used on both sides. Just a guess on my part though but I know how manufacturers work.

IF anyone wants the ones I pulled out they are welcome to them. Pay shipping and the are yours.

I will be leaving for the weekend in a little bit so if I dont respond then thats why. I will respond sometime Sunday night or Monday morning. BTW first come first serve (posts, PMs and emails all have a time on them...earliest I see when I get back gets them).

Michael
Old 03-31-2007, 08:14 AM

Did you have alignment issues with the ES bushings installed? Now you are making me worry about making the cuts on mine. Is this an exact science? Do you or maybe Matt have measurements on where to cut? I definitely want to get it right the first time so I don't end up spending another 70 bucks like you did...
Old 04-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Did you have alignment issues with the ES bushings installed? Now you are making me worry about making the cuts on mine. Is this an exact science? Do you or maybe Matt have measurements on where to cut? I definitely want to get it right the first time so I don't end up spending another 70 bucks like you did...

I dont know if I had issues or not because i havent gotten a chance to get it aligned (car is still in pieces). I didnt want to take the chance though and decided to just get the new pieces.

its not that hard...just take your old bushings and mark the ES bushings and then with a table saw (or something else you can be sure to make a straight cut on) make your cuts. My problem was that I wasnt paying attention and just cut too much on one of them with my grinder.

Again I am not sure that it was even a problem...I just didnt want to take a chance.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the info...I guess I will go ahead and cut them down on a table saw and see how they turn out. BTW, what did you use to get the rear bushing off?
Also, did you lube up the inside and outide of all the bushings with the poly grease?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Does it matter which way the bushings are oriented when you put them on? I realize that once you cut them the "tab" on the one side will be gone, but the fillet radius for the two sides is different.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:44 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Does it matter which way the bushings are oriented when you put them on? I realize that once you cut them the "tab" on the one side will be gone, but the fillet radius for the two sides is different.
The tab will not be gone. I suggest that you get underneath your car and look closely at how everything looks. If you are going to cut off this tab, then you are cutting it the wrong direction. The job is so simple, that you can just start this job and when you are unbolting everything, you will understand which way and how much to cut the bushings.

Look at this picture:

Old 04-09-2007, 11:56 AM
STFU n00b!

Actually, you need to cut off most of that tab too. they're too "tall" otherwise.

that's how you need to cut them, and then either bushing will fit either side.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:58 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Actually, you need to cut off most of that tab too. they're too "tall" otherwise.

that's how you need to cut them, and then either bushing will fit either side.
That's right! It's been a while since I did this job. I now remember I cut off most of that tab. I almost cut all of it off. Thanks for that drawing too.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:02 PM

Question: do you have to wait to tighten the large bolt for the front bushing until you lower the car if you are using polyurethane? The design seems like it may not matter as it does with rubber.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

no it doesnt matter with poly. With rubber it does or you can tear it but with poly it freely moves so no need for it to be ride height to torque it.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 PM

Good deal!