3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

opinions on intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 03:07 PM
swift2080

I need some opinions on an intake for a '92 Maxima SE. Let me know what you use and think is the best. thanks

Old 07-11-2001, 04:06 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

I'm still an advocate of the CAI

check out

www.placeracing.com
www.cattman.com
www.warpspeedperformance.com
Old 07-11-2001, 05:15 PM

Go CAI, but here are some more....

www.stillen.com
www.jimwolftechnology.com
www.courtesy-nissan.com
Old 07-11-2001, 07:22 PM

i love my jwt pop charger, but if i wer you, i'd go for the cai like the others said.
Old 07-11-2001, 08:43 PM
Ford Only.

Buy the best only one time...CAI...I have a pop charger it is cool when the car is cold.But when it heats up it sucks.Buy the CAI I know I will be getting rid of my pop charger soon for a CAI from www.warpspeedperformance.com
Old 07-11-2001, 10:28 PM

i have a different opinion.....

...i had a pop charger on my car for over a year. Well I recently went back to my stock set-up and I noticed a tremendous gain in lowend power and the high end really din't change that much. If you have an auto I really think the pop is useless. I mean to take advantage of the pop you have to be at high rpm's(3500-5500). Atleast thats the way it was with my car. If you drive on the highway with the od off then its wonderfull, but I do a lot of city driving where theres stop and go so lowend power is a must. I just can't believe the stock set up was better. A lot of org members have gone back to stock and noticed the same thing. Maybe its an auto tranny thang.

Can anyone shed somemore light on this.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 07-12-2001, 04:05 AM

I cannot find any CAI from these guys. I guess you are referring to just performance intakes.

Originally posted by Lordrandall
Go CAI, but here are some more....

www.stillen.com
www.jimwolftechnology.com
www.courtesy-nissan.com
Old 07-12-2001, 07:34 AM

Whats the story?

Hey, Whats the real story with the intakes? Imean I know what the theory is but are they always a good idea?
Like AKAICEBERG said about his automatic, will a popcharger or CAI really only help with 5 speeds? I would really like to know because I was planning on getting a CAI on my GXE and wanted to hear your opinions on the subject.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:12 AM

stock intake = backpressure = pressure resistance = better bottom end = TQ

POP charger = less back pressure = pressure releif = less bottom end = top end HP. The draw back is that at stop lights and traffic, the filter gets Heat Soaked and will actually reduce HP. COLD intake temps = ECU richening of fuel mixtures + advanced timing by applying more pulse width of injectors.
Heat = lean condition = better gas milage = less HP.
COLD = rich = poor gas milage = more HP

CAI takes outside hood temps wich are considerably cooler (about 40 degrees) and draws it in. This system actually has a little back pressure in it due to the length of piping and several bends. Not to mention the velocity of the CAI by it's longer tube system is great!
A CAI will casue a rich condition and a spark increase to burn that excess fuel; remeber COLD AIR = cooler Intake Air Temperature temps = ECU making the Pulse open up on the injectors (basicly a voltage increase) = advanced timing to burn that extra fuel, thus making the ever so popular HP increase.

my VOTE: get a CAI and call it a day.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:20 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

i've had the popcharger style intake for about a month now. the sound and performance is great above 3500 rpm. but the low end sucks. it sucks bad. i thought something was wrong with my car until i realized the popcharger was the culprit. but i only spent $25 on it, that was for the filter, which i'll just switch over to a WSP CAI airtube soon.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by psyclotran
I cannot find any CAI from these guys. I guess you are referring to just performance intakes.

Sorry about that, I should have been more clear. Those three links are for POP chargers only.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:41 PM
Ford Only.

Try www.warpspeedperformance.com or www.placeracing.com or www.cattman.com I hope those links work.They are for CAI's
Old 07-13-2001, 01:24 PM

One more question....

OK, im all for the CAI, but I was talking to my local performance shop and the guy told me "yea,CAI is good but remember where you live,(south florida) and we get a decent rainy season (occasional hurricanes) every year so with the CAI because of the placement so low you run the risk of water getting sucked up into your engine." Now I know this issue has already been addressed in "Mr frugal intake" thread but I want this threads opinion on it, Mind you typically the rain here sometimes gets pretty bad but dont expect to be driving through any "MONSOONS" or anything like that.-Your thoughts?
Old 07-13-2001, 02:25 PM

PV89SE

Originally posted by PV89SE
OK, im all for the CAI, but I was talking to my local performance shop and the guy told me "yea,CAI is good but remember where you live,(south florida) and we get a decent rainy season (occasional hurricanes) every year so with the CAI because of the placement so low you run the risk of water getting sucked up into your engine." Now I know this issue has already been addressed in "Mr frugal intake" thread but I want this threads opinion on it, Mind you typically the rain here sometimes gets pretty bad but dont expect to be driving through any "MONSOONS" or anything like that.-Your thoughts?

Yo buddy, where in South Florida do u live?? I'm in South Miami. I see some hooked up 3rd gens here in Miami and I have always wondered if any of them visit the org.

Later,
Kevin
Old 07-13-2001, 04:02 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: One more question....

just stay out of standing water and you'll be fine...i've driven through some crazy storms lately with my CAI and haven't had any issues...and the car is dropped with eibachs as well...
Old 07-13-2001, 05:22 PM

Re: Re: One more question....

Originally posted by Chris91SE

just stay out of standing water and you'll be fine...i've driven through some crazy storms lately with my CAI and haven't had any issues...and the car is dropped with eibachs as well...
Cool, Thanks!
Old 07-13-2001, 05:29 PM

Re: PV89SE

Originally posted by AKAICEBERG

Yo buddy, where in South Florida do u live?? I'm in South Miami. I see some hooked up 3rd gens here in Miami and I have always wondered if any of them visit the org.

Later,
Kevin
Sup, Kev
Representin West Palm! Way North, but not that far from Miami. My max is bone stock for now(only had her about two weeks!)but workin on her little by little. Just getting the basics done now (complete tune up,throttle body clean,etc..)
But am getting a few mods here and there. Anyway, you comin up to moroso in august for the import nationals? would be cool if all south florida members would be there!
Old 07-13-2001, 10:29 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Re: Re: PV89SE

Sup, Kev
Representin West Palm! Way North, but not that far from Miami. My max is bone stock for now(only had her about two weeks!)but workin on her little by little. Just getting the basics done now (complete tune up,throttle body clean,etc..)
But am getting a few mods here and there. Anyway, you comin up to moroso in august for the import nationals? would be cool if all south florida members would be there!
Hey im in south florida too......the Boca Raton area then i go to school at UCF in orlando
Old 07-14-2001, 04:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: PV89SE

Originally posted by maxse91

Hey im in south florida too......the Boca Raton area then i go to school at UCF in orlando
Hey, Whats up? Good to hear from south florida 3rd geners!
Maybe we could all hook up someday! L8tr