3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Inner tie rod: How do you know if it's bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Inner tie rod: How do you know if it's bad?

I went to Big O to get my alignment checked because my car vibrates over 60 mph. He pulled it up on the alignment lift and lifted it up. He then pushed my front driver's side tire around a bit (from side to side, like it steers) with his hands and then came over to me and said I need a new inner tie rod before he can check the alignment. He said it was loose in the knuckle. I took it home and put it up on jackstands and I'm not sure how to tell if it's bad. I can push the tire from side to side (like I was turning the wheel) about a centimeter. I can do this on both front tires, though. I did notice that the inner tied rod boot was torn while I was under there, but I don't notice anything right off that could be wrong. Then again, I don't really know what to look for.

Is a centimeter of play too much?

I'm guessing it isn't because I can do it on both tires, there is no difference in the amount of play between them. Should I just take it back and tell them to just check my alignment? Could the vibration be related to the inner tie rod? Please help right away because my car is still up on jackstands and it's my only car!

THANKS!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

ANY play is too much..Replace them asap
Old 08-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

OK, and how do I replace them (I don't see a guide on autozone for inner tie rods)? I'm guessing I just take off the outer tie rods (and count the number of turns) and then how do I take off the inner tie rod? I can't see well under the boot.

Also, is it safe to drive on them, I'm leaving in 2 days to drive 500 miles or so round trip over the weekend. Is it a must to replace them now, or can I wait until I get back?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

If it shakes over 60mph it can also be your A. Tranny B. Tires. C Alignment?

By turning side to side while pushing the wheels you mean they're turning as if you were steering the steering wheel side to side, right? you didnt mean 1 cm of shakiness/play..

Is there any play at all other than the wheels turning? From what I've been told is that you usually dont change the inner tierods as those dont really go bad and its just when you're chaning the rack but I could be wrong.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:26 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by ColombianMax

By turning side to side while pushing the wheels you mean they're turning as if you were steering the steering wheel side to side, right? you didnt mean 1 cm of shakiness/play..

Is there any play at all other than the wheels turning? From what I've been told is that you usually dont change the inner tierods as those dont really go bad and its just when you're chaning the rack but I could be wrong.
Yes, I can move them from side to side, like I was turning. It is about a 1 cm distance that I can wiggle them with my hands.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I took it home and put it up on jackstands and I'm not sure how to tell if it's bad. I can push the tire from side to side (like I was turning the wheel) about a centimeter. I can do this on both front tires, though.
For clarification, I assume you didnt lift the entire front end? Becuase I think you should only lift one side at a time to check for play. As far as the long drive, its up to you to decide based on how bad the shaking is and how long it has been going on. If the 500 miles is marginal in comparison to the miles you've done with the shake, and you dont have time to repair, then I would say drive but cautiously.

Also it is possible that several issues are contributing to the shake at the same time, so there is no guarantee it will go away after a repair, but at least you will eliminate a source.

But yes, overall any play is bad and should be repaired, no alignment can be done until it is gone.

OT: I was just at Snowbird/Alta over the weekend, I really miss the nice air up there when breathing what Texas has to offer.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by mikekantor
For clarification, I assume you didnt lift the entire front end? Becuase I think you should only lift one side at a time to check for play.
Yes, I lifted the driver's side and felt for play and then I lifted the passenger side (so the whole front end was up) and I felt and watched for play on that side. I saw and felt about the same amount of movement. I could see on the driver's side, where the boot was torn (the boot over the rack and pinion), the end of the inner tie rod move back and forth as I pushed and pulled at 9 and 3 o'clock on the driver's side wheel.

Well I got inner tie rods from autozone and a rack and pinion bellows (boot) from checker and we'll see what I can do before we leave on Friday! Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM
The Computer Guy

Originally Posted by ColombianMax

I found out that tires will make the car really shaky along with alignment / not balanced CV Shaft.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine was shaking/vibrating above 65-70.

Got the tires balanced and aligned at Sears and it is much better.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

Originally Posted by crabapple
Mine was shaking/vibrating above 65-70.

Got the tires balanced and aligned at Sears and it is much better.
I'd say balance those tires. Thats the number one cause of steering wheel shake at highway speeds.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

So I took out the driver's side outer tie rod and the inner tie rod seems fine! I can pull and push on it and there is no movement in the ball joint of the inner tie rod, only a very small movement within the rack and pinion (but I really have to push and pull on it and it only moves about 1/32 of an inch). So the inner tie rods are alright, right?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Pfff...meets my standards and requirements
Old 08-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Boomer Sooner

I'm betting you it was the outer tie rod end... possibly the ball joints..
Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by Black92GXE
I'm betting you it was the outer tie rod end... possibly the ball joints..
Nope, checked that too and the ball joints are fine, BUT the dust book is torn and/or missing on both of my outer tie rods, so it looks like I'll be replacing outer tie rods instead of inner!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 AM
mod or sell?

at least they are easier to change.
I got them in stock too