3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Has anybody had issues with the throttle positioning sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 05:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've read alot about low end hesitation and bogging down possibly being due to a malfunctioning TPS. My 92 SE has been experiencing these symptoms and they seem to be getting worse . If anyone has advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Germaneater92
Old 07-25-2001, 06:29 PM
Getting back to his roots

Pardon my ignorance but....

What is the throttle positioning sensor? What does it do? Does it automatically adjust the throttle cable whenever it loosens?
Old 07-26-2001, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Pardon my ignorance but....

Originally posted by Mizeree_X
What is the throttle positioning sensor? What does it do? Does it automatically adjust the throttle cable whenever it loosens?
The throttle position sensor is on the side of the throttle body, it's a little black box with a 3 contact connector on it. One is ground(the middle one) and the outer two pins are full throttle and idle contacts. Only the idle contacts are used on sticks, automatics use idle and full throttle contacts. There are two screws on the switch so you can adjust it, they rarely go bad. With an ohmmeter, rotate the switch until the idle contact is closed with the throttle closed. It should open when you just barely push the gas pedal, telling the computer that the engine isn't idling anymore. You can't adjust the full throttle contacts separately, so you're stuck with however they work if you have an automatic. If your car lurches a little while coasting in gear towards a red light, it may be that the TPS is not quite right and the computer is switching from idle to running. This can make your car lurch a little because the fuel is shut off when you are coasting in gear to save gas. The switch is opening and closing, turning the fuel on and off. To replace the switch, simply remove the two screws, unplug it, and replace it with the new one.
Old 07-26-2001, 11:03 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by german eater
I've read alot about low end hesitation and bogging down possibly being due to a malfunctioning TPS. My 92 SE has been experiencing these symptoms and they seem to be getting worse . If anyone has advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Germaneater92

yea, a lot of people have problems with VE hesitation. My car has been doing this since I got it, it only got worse... I don't know about the Throttle Position sensor, but some think the cause is the Coolant Temperature Sensor?... I keep confusing those 2... What you do is look for corrosion on the connectors, if it's there, you carefully clean it off.. then see if it helps, it did for many apparantly.. But didn't work for some, like myself... Car still jerks and hesitates like ****... What you should also check is maybe the O2 sensor or the MAF sensor... these can cause this as well, along with regular tune up items, spark plugs, air and fuel filters etc...
Old 07-27-2001, 02:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[i]Originally posted by NYCe MaX Thanks I'll check that out and see if it helps

Germaneater92

yea, a lot of people have problems with VE hesitation. My car has been doing this since I got it, it only got worse... I don't know about the Throttle Position sensor, but some think the cause is the Coolant Temperature Sensor?... I keep confusing those 2... What you do is look for corrosion on the connectors, if it's there, you carefully clean it off.. then see if it helps, it did for many apparantly.. But didn't work for some, like myself... Car still jerks and hesitates like ****... What you should also check is maybe the O2 sensor or the MAF sensor... these can cause this as well, along with regular tune up items, spark plugs, air and fuel filters etc...
Old 07-15-2002, 10:41 PM

Hi!

Uh oh, I think my 92 SE is having the same problem. It hesitates and the acceleration is not smooth, but rather uneven. It sometimes seem to bog at low rpm (under 3000.) Is this the same problem? Does anyone have proof or experience that replacing the TPS solves the problem? How much does a TPS cost anyway?
Old 07-27-2002, 03:03 PM
pjalst

Originally posted by Agamemnon
Hi!

Uh oh, I think my 92 SE is having the same problem. It hesitates and the acceleration is not smooth, but rather uneven. It sometimes seem to bog at low rpm (under 3000.) Is this the same problem? Does anyone have proof or experience that replacing the TPS solves the problem? How much does a TPS cost anyway?
My car was running the same way. My check engine light finally came on and I took it to my garage. The code read Throttle postition switch. My Mech. checked it out and all seemed to be in order. When he reset the ECM , the check engine light went off and the car ran like the first day I test drove it. Three days later, the check engine light can on and now it's running like s#!t again. What now, new throttle position switch? What is the cost on this thing?

Old 07-28-2002, 09:14 AM

They're cheap, like $50 or so. Replace it, clean your coolant temp sensor connections, then replace your O2 sensor and KNOCK SENSOR. This will probably cure your hesitation problems. IF you car is jerking really bad, especially on the highway, then you probably have a bad ignition coil.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by RosenKen
They're cheap, like $50 or so. Replace it, clean your coolant temp sensor connections, then replace your O2 sensor and KNOCK SENSOR. This will probably cure your hesitation problems. IF you car is jerking really bad, especially on the highway, then you probably have a bad ignition coil.
i changed engines in my 1990 gxe and was startled by a high speed vibratuion and idle speed stumble. i had already changed plugs and wires and decided to try adjusting the throttle position sensor. the result was phenomenal. no more stumble and the car ran at 60 mph easily. the adjustment process is in the chilton's manual. you need an ohmeter or a persistent mechanic. i had neither, so i used trial and error, adjusting the sensor position 1 millimetre at a time. it took three hours of sifting through problems on the forum before i settled on this solution. my heartfelt thanks to my fellow maxima owners!