3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

1990 Maxima GXE audio problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2000, 10:53 AM

Hi, I got a 1990 Maxima GXE recently and it works great.. I love it.. The only problem im having is with the stock bose tape deck. For some reason, the fm radio works good.. It plays loud sometimes, and then other times it doesnt play as loud as it probably should.

I really dont mind that much but when I try to play a cassette it plays it, but I can barely hear the tape though. It plays all tapes extremely low, I remember once it did play a tape slightly louder than it usually would but after about 5 minutes of listening the audio went back down low. Also when it plays tapes, I hear alot of static coming from the speakers. Does anyone out there know what could be the problem? Im hoping its the head unit and not the speakers or amps because im going to replace it with an aiwa cd head unit in the next few weeks.

Another question I have is will I need to replace out the speakers or amps in order to accomodate this aiwa head unit? The aiwa unit is 45w x4 and im not too sure whether or not ill need new speakers or if the stock ones will work good. Im not really an audiophile so I have no idea what needs to be done. I hope someone out there is able to help me clear up some of these problems..

Thanks in advance!

j0e-
Old 08-26-2000, 05:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it's your BOSE speakers. the amps are going. each speaker has an amp.

Old 08-26-2000, 05:58 PM

How do you like the Wet Okole seat covers? I heard they're pretty good..
Old 08-26-2000, 06:52 PM

hrmmm

damn... I was hoping it wasnt that.. The way it sounds it could be all 4 gone bad but then again is there a way I could check to see which are bad? Should I even try to replace them seeing how im getting a new head unit?

j0e-
Old 08-26-2000, 10:45 PM

another question

another question I have is will I be able to remove all 4 speakers and the head unit and replace them with non bose equipment? Would the wiring work for this? Would I have to rewire the system? The bose amps seem to be very expensive new or used so im wondering if I should just get rid of the speakers and get all new ones that dont need amps?

Thanks

j0e-
Old 08-27-2000, 06:22 AM

Bose Problems

I posted last night, but my report got lost when I logged in. It sounds like your main problem is with the cassete heads, but other problems are not far behind.

Many of us have replaced their Bose systems. You can use the existing wires, but it is better to rewire. You will need to make a "donut", adaptor to mount the front speakers.
Replacement can take a lot of time/$.

You probably can get a used Bose set up in the classifieds for less $$ than it would take to replace. My system is on the high end, but it cost me over 3K, with about 40 hours of my time. To get good sound out of most aftermarket speakers you will need to get a decent amp. The head will be OK. but 45 watts rated in a head is probably only comperable to 15 usable watts.
Old 08-27-2000, 02:19 PM
STFU n00b!

As amax said, it's most likely not your amps-->

the low volume and high static levels while playing tapes sound more like the tape head is worn out/dirty/magnetized.
if your AM/FM section works just fine, go to an electronics store and buy a tape head cleaner/demagnetizer.

that should help you rproblem with the tapes...
If you have no other problems with the system, count yourself as a lucky one and save up for a new system shortly. most bose systems in these cars have died/begun to die. yours will probably start having severe problems soon also.

As alan (amax) said, your best bet would be to either buy a used bose system, or re-run new wires and completely replace the entire system.
you can buy an adaptor that will let you run the Aiwa head with the bose speakers, but they run about $60 and have a tendency not to work and are difficult to install correctly without lots of auto/audio wiring experience.

I would still recommend dumping the entire bose system and replacing it with something else. if any component ever fails after that, it will easily interface with any other aftermarket product, so you can choose what brands/products to put in there later. With the bose, you're stuck either replacing bose parts ($$$$$$), or buying aftermarket parts and using adaptors ($60-100 each) to interface it with the bose system.

Hope that answered your questions.
Old 08-29-2000, 09:10 AM
anshu

Same problem

Joe ,
I too have same problem with my sterio and I have not yet tried to rectify that. Pl let me know how you solved your problem.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2000, 11:35 PM

Re: Same problem

Well.. I checked out the different speakers in my car and I found out which one of the amps blew out. It was the one on my front passenger door. I found someone on usenet who is selling out his bose equipment so he's selling me his working amp for $25 which should fix the problem and keep me happy for a few months. I read that there is a particular sony amp that is small enough to fit in the speaker cage where the bose amp lies. It costs about $25 on ebay and works better than the bose amps from what ive read. You can read about it at http://www.futuresouth.com/mjf/vette.htm

I am just too broke to be able to afford to rewire and get all new equipment, amps, subs, installation, etc. Next, im getting a jvc 40w x4 cd head unit that I found on yahoo auctions for $99 refurbished. To make this work all you need to do is purchase an oem intergration adapter that crutchfield sells for $49.99 part #142CNN02 which I believe also comes with the wire harness kit but if it doesnt ask about it for your maxima because that makes installation easier. Also call crutchfield to order at 800.955.300 and if you use this code 19290148 you get $25 off your order(not my code). In total you'll probably be spending $150-$175 to get it going but from what ive read the system sounds great once the old bose head unit is out. This is basically the cheap way out.

Im no audiophile I just want this thing to work and the bose head unit in mine fluctuates in volume on a daily basis, each time I switch on the car its either lower than before or higher than before so I think its time to get rid of it.

Thanks

j0e-

Originally posted by anshu
Joe ,
I too have same problem with my sterio and I have not yet tried to rectify that. Pl let me know how you solved your problem.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2000, 12:54 PM
anshu

Thanks Joe for that info.

Old 08-31-2000, 05:57 PM

crutchfield harness

hey, joe

i installed a sony cd head unit from cf and the wiring harness and got an elec. interference what would increase in pitch as i revved up. i was hoping it was just the negative (ground) connection but it didn't go away when i connected the ground to the neg. post on my battery. i got another interface fr. cf - they said it could be the interface - and got the same results. in other words, not even an interface would work with the bose amps and speakers.

better to replace whole system than have mismatched headunit to bose system.

i still have my stock bose system since i'm going to college and always broke!