3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tranny Cooler Installation -->

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 08:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How hard is it to install a tranny cooler? I checked the info on the sticky, but that is more or less related to parts and costs, not installation.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:01 AM

Depends on what model you get. The 404 model that I got is a tight squeeze, but it can be done. Make sure that you measure the hoses by running them exactly where you want them and then cutting them. I installed my tranny cooler with the hose that was included and I only made one cut in the hose. I had about a 1/4" margin of error, so be precise in your measurements. Other than measuring the hose length and finding where to connect the hoses, squeezing the tranny cooler in between the grille and radiator was the second hardest part. It took a lot of push and pull by my dad and I to get it in there. I would suggest having someone help you because 4 hands, 4 eyes, and 2 brains are usually helpful.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Cincy94Max
Depends on what model you get. The 404 model that I got is a tight squeeze, but it can be done. Make sure that you measure the hoses by running them exactly where you want them and then cutting them. I installed my tranny cooler with the hose that was included and I only made one cut in the hose. I had about a 1/4" margin of error, so be precise in your measurements. Other than measuring the hose length and finding where to connect the hoses, squeezing the tranny cooler in between the grille and radiator was the second hardest part. It took a lot of push and pull by my dad and I to get it in there. I would suggest having someone help you because 4 hands, 4 eyes, and 2 brains are usually helpful.

That's the 403 model.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by C-Dawg
How hard is it to install a tranny cooler? I checked the info on the sticky, but that is more or less related to parts and costs, not installation.

Thanks in advance.
I did mine in less then an hour. Just make sure you have enough hose. The one I bought only had one piece of hose, and you need two of them about four feet in length. Other then that the install was pretty easy, hardest part was getting it behind the grill. Taking the grill off also makes this much easier.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by FFxMax

I did mine in less then an hour. Just make sure you have enough hose. The one I bought only had one piece of hose, and you need two of them about four feet in length. Other then that the install was pretty easy, hardest part was getting it behind the grill. Taking the grill off also makes this much easier.
My kit only came with one hose too, it's not supposed to come with two. I just cut that one piece of hose and made both connections. With very little room to spare though.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:15 PM

My kit only came with one hose too, it's not supposed to come with two. I just cut that one piece of hose and made both connections. With very little room to spare though.
Where can I get step-by-step instruction from start to finish? I honestly have no idea how to do do this but I would rather try and do it on my own if it is fairly easy.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:13 PM

Where can I get step-by-step instruction from start to finish? I honestly have no idea how to do do this but I would rather try and do it on my own if it is fairly easy.
There are instructions with the kit, but they aren't very good, so I'll give a quick rundown of what you do. First, you need to take off the grille, which can be a pain in the ***. Take a pair of plyers and pinch the black clips behind the grille and then pull the grille out. It took me a while to get the whole grille off because the stupid clips would go right back into their holes. Try using a rag to hold the clips away from the holes. Then I would suggest taking off the black plastic piece underneath the engine, right behind the bumper. You will need to crawl underneath the car to do this. Once you remove this piece, you can see and move around pretty well. What you need to do next is locate the stock transmission cooler and it's feed and exit lines. The stock transmission cooler is connected to the bottom of the radiator and consists of two horizontal aluminum tubes. The feed line goes in on the right side(as you are lying on the ground looking up at the engine) of this cooler. The exit line is on the left side. You want to take the stock exit line off. Then you want to connect the new tubing from the exit on the stock transmission cooler to either end of the new transmission cooler. Then connect a new piece of tubing from the other end of the new transmission cooler to where the old exit line connected to. This type of wiring is called "in series" and it allows you to take advantage of the stock and aftermarket transmission coolers. Once you connect everything, you mount the unit on the radiator (the instructions will tell you how) and then you carefully fill the transmission with synthetic ATF. Check your owners manual for the type and instructions on how to fill. If you have any other questions, I would be more than glad to answer them.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:04 AM

There are instructions with the kit, but they aren't very good, so I'll give a quick rundown of what you do. First, you need to take off the grille, which can be a pain in the ***. Take a pair of plyers and pinch the black clips behind the grille and then pull the grille out. It took me a while to get the whole grille off because the stupid clips would go right back into their holes. Try using a rag to hold the clips away from the holes. Then I would suggest taking off the black plastic piece underneath the engine, right behind the bumper. You will need to crawl underneath the car to do this. Once you remove this piece, you can see and move around pretty well. What you need to do next is locate the stock transmission cooler and it's feed and exit lines. The stock transmission cooler is connected to the bottom of the radiator and consists of two horizontal aluminum tubes. The feed line goes in on the right side(as you are lying on the ground looking up at the engine) of this cooler. The exit line is on the left side. You want to take the stock exit line off. Then you want to connect the new tubing from the exit on the stock transmission cooler to either end of the new transmission cooler. Then connect a new piece of tubing from the other end of the new transmission cooler to where the old exit line connected to. This type of wiring is called "in series" and it allows you to take advantage of the stock and aftermarket transmission coolers. Once you connect everything, you mount the unit on the radiator (the instructions will tell you how) and then you carefully fill the transmission with synthetic ATF. Check your owners manual for the type and instructions on how to fill. If you have any other questions, I would be more than glad to answer them.
So, I am guessing that you have to completely drain the ATF before you start and then put all new one in?
Old 08-07-2001, 06:26 AM

So, I am guessing that you have to completely drain the ATF before you start and then put all new one in?
Actually no. There is no way you can drain all of the ATF in our cars unless you have a special machine that mechanics have. What I did, and what I would suggest you do, is that you have a coffee can ready to catch the ATF that spills out of the radiator and the feed and exit lines. Save this ATF and put it back in the transmission or dispose of it properly and refill the ATF with synthetic. I believe I used 1/4 to 1/2 a quart of synthetic ATF to fill. Be careful when filling up. Put small amounts in at a time and then get in the car and put the key in the "on" position. Then move the gear shifter slowly through all of the gears. This will allow all of the ATF to move throughout the gears and spread to everywhere it needs to go. I would suggest checking your ATF levels for the first week after installation to be sure there are no leaks or other problems.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:26 AM

Actually no. There is no way you can drain all of the ATF in our cars unless you have a special machine that mechanics have. What I did, and what I would suggest you do, is that you have a coffee can ready to catch the ATF that spills out of the radiator and the feed and exit lines. Save this ATF and put it back in the transmission or dispose of it properly and refill the ATF with synthetic. I believe I used 1/4 to 1/2 a quart of synthetic ATF to fill. Be careful when filling up. Put small amounts in at a time and then get in the car and put the key in the "on" position. Then move the gear shifter slowly through all of the gears. This will allow all of the ATF to move throughout the gears and spread to everywhere it needs to go. I would suggest checking your ATF levels for the first week after installation to be sure there are no leaks or other problems.
'Preciate the help.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:48 AM

'Preciate the help.
Anytime.