3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Thinking about buying Budget y-pipe --->

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 11:54 PM

This is going to be my next mod after I install my bimmer lights (after August 18).

I figure the price is very good ($195 shipped) for 304 SS (non-mandrel), and the gains will be considerable according to what the 4th gen people have been experiencing. Check the last post in the thread. bradmax said he gained 17 hp at the wheels!

The only question I have is whether there is a difference btw the pipe for the VE and VG engine. The guy at Budget told me that there wasn't a difference (maybe just the location of the O2 sensor). Anyone know? DanNy, did you ever call Budget?

I will probably order the pipe some time next week and install it the week after that. I will post here when I do. Until then, any comments from people are appreciated.

http://www.budgetexhaust.com
Old 08-08-2001, 06:58 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by ghostmax
This is going to be my next mod after I install my bimmer lights (after August 18).

I figure the price is very good ($195 shipped) for 304 SS (non-mandrel), and the gains will be considerable according to what the 4th gen people have been experiencing. Check the last post in the thread. bradmax said he gained 17 hp at the wheels!

The only question I have is whether there is a difference btw the pipe for the VE and VG engine. The guy at Budget told me that there wasn't a difference (maybe just the location of the O2 sensor). Anyone know? DanNy, did you ever call Budget?

I will probably order the pipe some time next week and install it the week after that. I will post here when I do. Until then, any comments from people are appreciated.

yup there's a different in the VE and VG pipes. the VE rear exhaust manifold is higher up..or the front is farther down.. but which ever way u look at it...it doesn't fit exactly.

i called them and they are not making pipes for the 3rd gens..Jeff said maybe later in the month. right now i think it's fed emission 4th gens.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:13 PM

I talked to them last week, and the guy (not Jeff) said that they would start making them this week. But it's no biggy...I'm in no rush.

Did Jeff say they would be making two separate pipes for the VG and VE? I guess I can always just call and find out.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:54 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I talked to them last week, and the guy (not Jeff) said that they would start making them this week. But it's no biggy...I'm in no rush.

Did Jeff say they would be making two separate pipes for the VG and VE? I guess I can always just call and find out.
hmmm..well i didn't ask because he seem to be busy on the phone..kinda getting that rushed feeling. so if u can call and find out if there will be 2 diff pipes and see when they would make it that'll be great.
thanks man
Old 08-08-2001, 01:11 PM
ckcie

I'm selling my Max and I'm selling my Cattman y-pipe as well. It's been in use for about 2 weeks now so it's brand new. It'll fit your car perfect. If you're interested I'll sell it to you for a good price.

Old 08-09-2001, 08:49 AM

catt y pipe

Originally posted by ckcie

I'm selling my Max and I'm selling my Cattman y-pipe as well. It's been in use for about 2 weeks now so it's brand new. It'll fit your car perfect. If you're interested I'll sell it to you for a good price.
if he is not interested.. I might. What price you going for? I have a 90'max and just replaced the y pipe with a stock from 92// but would prefur a quiter one...
Old 08-09-2001, 08:58 AM
ckcie

Re: catt y pipe

Originally posted by Jupiternaus

if he is not interested.. I might. What price you going for? I have a 90'max and just replaced the y pipe with a stock from 92// but would prefur a quiter one...
This y-pipe wouldn't suit you then. It makes your car pretty loud. If your still interested email or Instant Messanger me an offer and we'll chat.

Old 08-09-2001, 09:00 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Spend the $255 and get the warpspeed y-pipe, for $55 more your getting a mandral bent pipe with better gains.........
Old 08-09-2001, 12:10 PM
STFU n00b!

Warpspeed is working on some non-mandrel bent pipes for 3rd gens right now. I think they're in full-production, but don't take that as gospel. I don't know prices either.

point being, their non-mandrel bent and the mandrel bent pipes aren't that much difference in performance. might be something to check into.

for those of you looking for a quiet y-pipe, STOCK is your only way to go. all the others add some noise to the car. y pipes don't add much, but it's definitely noticeable when you go from stock exhaust to it.
if your stock one is making noises, then there's probably something wrong with it. replace all your gaskets and make sure the bolts are all tightly torqued.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:48 PM

Looks like I'll have to hold off on the pipe since I just found out today that my right outer CV boot busted (2 weeks after my left one).

I don't think that there's much difference btw mandrel and non-mandrel. Maybe 2 hp. Not to flame WSP, but I've heard nothing but compliments about Budget. Hopefully their 3rd gen pipes are as good as their 4th gen ones. Oh, I heard there was no hissing with the Budget pipes either.

Maybe in September I won't have to spend money on maintenance, and I'll be able to get my long-anticipated performance mod.