3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Here it is.. my custon bmw lights convertion with REAL xenons.. looky!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 05:04 PM

first off lemme tell you, this is NOT fun a fun install to do, esp. if you dont have the right tools and the attention span of a 3 year old, haha. But its done, not all the way i hoped, but good enough. couple things i gotta tweek, but too lazy right now. heres some pics, enjoy.
Old 08-27-2001, 05:08 PM

heres the light more closly .. you can see i have aftermarket lenses in there..
Old 08-27-2001, 06:52 PM

looks sweet man!! i would love to do that mod but i don't have enough time or patience for that. i'll just hafta settle for my fake HID lights for now.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:26 PM

Its too bad those lights don't fit. The dual headlight/projector thing looks pretty good. Any way to retrofit the back into the stock glass?
Old 08-27-2001, 09:20 PM

Youre not finished though, you must tint the sidemarkers next, and change that grill to something more agressive. I see in my opinion, agressive headlights, and too shy of a front end.

Plus , you need more contrast, since your car is light coloured, and you have too dark lights, it needs more to back the lights up, thats why i suggest to tint the sidemarkers, and do something with the grill.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:53 AM

looks sweet, maybe makes some body colored eyebrows to go over the top of the lights and take care of some of that gap. good job
Old 08-28-2001, 09:34 AM

I'm not gonna flame>>

It looks... well "ok".. everytime I see someone do this "mod" it only makes me think.. jeez that'd look sweet if they'd only............... namely someone would have to spend the time building some sort of "spacer" to fit under the lights so you don't get a big gap between the hood and the top of the lights.. or for those who are really adventurous.. customize the hood w/ "eyebrows" to hide the gap... I think the spacer is a better/cleaner idea.. I also have to say this mod looks cool.. but only on cars that are already fairly heavily modded... IE body kit (at least a new airdam in front), lowered, etc... for as much time, $$ and frustration as that probably cost you I think you woulda come out better spending your $$ on struts and springs... I dunno.. it looks ok.. but it would take (In my VERY humble opinion) alot more work to make them look good..... maybe if someone could measure the gap for me and take some good DETAILED pics of the gap/bracket fitaments.. I'd go out to the shop and fab up a couple spacers... but it'd probably work better with a car in front of me to test fit them on...

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe
first off lemme tell you, this is NOT fun a fun install to do, esp. if you dont have the right tools and the attention span of a 3 year old, haha. But its done, not all the way i hoped, but good enough. couple things i gotta tweek, but too lazy right now. heres some pics, enjoy.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:18 PM

Re: I'm not gonna flame>>

Originally posted by justinmc
It looks... well "ok".. everytime I see someone do this "mod" it only makes me think.. jeez that'd look sweet if they'd only............... namely someone would have to spend the time building some sort of "spacer" to fit under the lights so you don't get a big gap between the hood and the top of the lights.. or for those who are really adventurous.. customize the hood w/ "eyebrows" to hide the gap... I think the spacer is a better/cleaner idea.. I also have to say this mod looks cool.. but only on cars that are already fairly heavily modded... IE body kit (at least a new airdam in front), lowered, etc... for as much time, $$ and frustration as that probably cost you I think you woulda come out better spending your $$ on struts and springs... I dunno.. it looks ok.. but it would take (In my VERY humble opinion) alot more work to make them look good..... maybe if someone could measure the gap for me and take some good DETAILED pics of the gap/bracket fitaments.. I'd go out to the shop and fab up a couple spacers... but it'd probably work better with a car in front of me to test fit them on...

this is true, but actually the only reason i did this mod is because, you konw the total cost of the project for me? 60 bucks. yes thats right. i got real xenon lights, and those lenses and the onyl way to make them work properly is to have those leses. thers isnt a way to use em with the OEM lights, but i could fabricate them into the bmw lights much easier. i got them for 60 bucks, and added in the lenses and put it in. thats about the only reason i installed these lights. oh well, im heppy with it, i just wish my corner lights fit on better, you dont notice the gap that much in person which is good. mainly becuase your lookng down on the lights.
Old 08-28-2001, 03:20 PM

Re: Re: I'm not gonna flame>>

Well shoot.. for $60 you can't complain.. I was thinking you were one of those jokers w/ a mostly stock car who dumped his first $$$ for mods into a set of BMW lights.. (which normally run in the neighborhood of $300 for a pair).. so for $60.. they look damn good... where are you located??.. like I said..if you can get me some detailed pics w/ measurements.. I could see about building you some spacers you could paint to match the car... I can use the contour from a bumper I already have.. I just need to know what kind of height they would need to be and how long (from the edge of the grille to the edge of the corner lense).. I could just fab some up outta thin body sheet metal.. then I'd make a "lip" or something that would go far enough back you could mount them (maybe via screws or even some double sided tape...) let me know.. just playing around...

this is true, but actually the only reason i did this mod is because, you konw the total cost of the project for me? 60 bucks. yes thats right. i got real xenon lights, and those lenses and the onyl way to make them work properly is to have those leses. thers isnt a way to use em with the OEM lights, but i could fabricate them into the bmw lights much easier. i got them for 60 bucks, and added in the lenses and put it in. thats about the only reason i installed these lights. oh well, im heppy with it, i just wish my corner lights fit on better, you dont notice the gap that much in person which is good. mainly becuase your lookng down on the lights.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: I'm not gonna flame>>

Originally posted by justinmc
Well shoot.. for $60 you can't complain.. I was thinking you were one of those jokers w/ a mostly stock car who dumped his first $$$ for mods into a set of BMW lights.. (which normally run in the neighborhood of $300 for a pair).. so for $60.. they look damn good... where are you located??.. like I said..if you can get me some detailed pics w/ measurements.. I could see about building you some spacers you could paint to match the car... I can use the contour from a bumper I already have.. I just need to know what kind of height they would need to be and how long (from the edge of the grille to the edge of the corner lense).. I could just fab some up outta thin body sheet metal.. then I'd make a "lip" or something that would go far enough back you could mount them (maybe via screws or even some double sided tape...) let me know.. just playing around...

duud, id appreciate that a lot. your email is not posted, so just send me a quick email at dabman15@hotmail.com, and ill hit you up a reply with measurements and stuff. thanks! btw, im in northern cali. im up for it.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:32 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Brandon,

Well, if you two hook up, you'll have to post some pics/specs and stuff. I'm definitely interested in that mod, but like justinmc so eloquently pointed out, I'm NOT going to be one of those jokers that pours his first paycheck into this. I still need tires for my "new" rims, besides!! Holla!!
Old 08-31-2001, 02:19 PM

Hey brandon if you can do a write up on how you did that I would like to know.. I'm interested in looking into doing that...
Why didn't you do both lights??? Low and high beams????

RYAN
Old 08-31-2001, 11:16 PM
Maxima Princess

look good....tho i've never been a fan of this 'mod'.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by ryan
Hey brandon if you can do a write up on how you did that I would like to know.. I'm interested in looking into doing that...
Why didn't you do both lights??? Low and high beams????

RYAN
because im lazy, and i didnt have the relays to finish it off. in the end im gonna wire it so all four lights are on when my brights are on. for now my low beams have been enough, the xenons are nice and bright.

i really dont think im gonna do a write up for my lights, because the partsi used are unique, and its actually quite ghetto haha. i really dont want to be responsible for a write up on the way i made my lights lol.
Old 09-01-2001, 08:19 PM

because im lazy, and i didnt have the relays to finish it off. in the end im gonna wire it so all four lights are on when my brights are on. for now my low beams have been enough, the xenons are nice and bright.

i really dont think im gonna do a write up for my lights, because the partsi used are unique, and its actually quite ghetto haha. i really dont want to be responsible for a write up on the way i made my lights lol.
question - curious, but i know those arent Euro bmw headlights... so they are obviously a 92-98 E36.... but you put a HID kit on it and got Xenon bulbs for it... all for $60.... id like to know what brands these are (are they Hella headlight enclosureS?) and how you got them so cheap... can ya take a pic of ur xenons for me at night? i wanna see how bright they are thx...
Old 09-02-2001, 01:16 PM

looks good, i like the bmw lights.....do u have plans for the side markers?